(Archived) Why is not "Hide Unassigned Tags" working on the Favorites bar?

joppe

Idea

The "Hide Unassigned Tags" option works only in the sidebar, not in the Favorites bar (Evernote Version 3.0.4 (206275), OS X 10.7.2). What is the reason for this? They seem to serve the exact same purpose. I always hide the sidebar to get more screen for my notes, and I would really like the Tags dropdown menu in the Favorites bar to only show assigned tags.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

They don't really serve the same purpose, if the Mac version is the same as the Windows version (so take the following with that grain of salt). Among other differences, the the tag control in the left panel exposes the tag hierarchy;while the tag control on the Favorites bar does not, but is a flat list, that filters all tags by matching whatever you've typed in the edit control. The Favorites bar entries, when selected also filters All Notebooks on the selected tag, so it really doesn't apply to the currently selected notebook.

• Level 5*

The "Hide Unassigned Tags" option works only in the sidebar, not in the Favorites bar (Evernote Version 3.0.4 (206275), OS X 10.7.2). What is the reason for this? They seem to serve the exact same purpose.

. . .

They don't really serve the same purpose,

. . .

I guess the question is should an object on the Favorites bar behave like the original, source object?

What would be intuitive, the expectation, for most users?

For me, it is called "Favorites" Bar, which implies quick access to things I often use.

In that context, I expect the object on the Favorites Bar to behave, i.e., result in, the same as the original object.

So, selecting a tag on the Favorites Bar should result in the same as selecting a tag on the Left Panel.

Having said that, I think it is OK to have a different UI for selecting the tag. But the results of the selection should be the same.

What do you guys think?

Archived