(Archived) Order of Merged Notes

grberk

If I merge notes, the top note becomes the top note in the merged note. If I have several notes that are in Evernote in a sequence by date, and I merge them, the last note becomes the top note because the notes are sorted most recent first. I have no problem with changing the sort order to make the note order correct before merging the notes, but could someone please consider adding a feature for merging notes that will show a pop-up window that will let us choose the order of the notes being merged? That would be a nice feature.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

There's no way to fix the merged note, short of re-ordering sections yourself.

The notes that go into a merged note are put into the trash, so if you haven't emptied your trash yet, I suppose that you could go into the Trash, undelete, and then re-merge. Doesn't sound all that appealing to me...

• 2 months later...

Click (select) the notes in the order you want them. I do this all the time.

This doesn't seem to work in Evernote for Windows - it seems to merge them randomly. Is there a protocol for this?? ie. Can I choose which note keeps the title?

This doesn't seem to work in Evernote for Windows - it seems to merge them randomly. Is there a protocol for this?? ie. Can I choose which note keeps the title?

I use this pretty much every day in Windows client. It works just fine.

Doesn't seem to work on Mac. Not matter what I do they are being created in order they are sorted in  - not the click order.

This is in the Windows section.  I can't speak for the Mac client.

I believe that this is a difference in the way the two clients work,

Win: Merge in order selected.

Mac: Merge in order sorted.

Not sure if that is b y design or a bug.

Hey Burger - so I just tried and we're obviously doing something different. So maybe you could help me diagnose where I'm going wrong?

I have created 2 notes, called Note 1 and Note 2. If I select Note 1 and then Note 2 and then click Merge notes, the new note is called Note 1.

If I do the same again, but this time select Note 2 first, and then Note 1, and then click Merge Notes, the new note is STILL called Note 1.

Do you get this?

Hey Burger - so I just tried and we're obviously doing something different. So maybe you could help me diagnose where I'm going wrong?

I have created 2 notes, called Note 1 and Note 2. If I select Note 1 and then Note 2 and then click Merge notes, the new note is called Note 1.

If I do the same again, but this time select Note 2 first, and then Note 1, and then click Merge Notes, the new note is STILL called Note 1.

Do you get this?

If I do the same again, but this time select Note 2 first, and then Note 1, and then click Merge Notes, the new note is STILL called Note 1 called Note 2.

Are you using a really, really old version of the Windows desktop client?

Or are you not using the Windows desktop client & using the web client instead?

https://vimeo.com/67324960

• 1 month later...

@BurgersnFries The ability to change the order in which notes are merged is something that I requested from Evernote support quite some time ago.  It makes no sense to me that if I create a series of Notes and then merge them, I get them in reverse chronological order.  So I was very interested to see that you can control what order they're merged in.  However, it isn't working for me (on Windows Evernote version 4.6.6.8360), so there must be something about your settings or setup that is different from antpugh's and mine!

So the question is, what is it?

Julie

@juwlz,

If they are merging in reverse chronological order, it's probably because you are displaying them in that order.

Change the display to chronological order, and they will merge that way.

Also, I'll risk being laughed at, but in Windows:

1. Click... Shift-Click selects all the notes between the first and last click(inclusive).

2. Click... CTRL-Click selects any two notes(not including what's between them) and you can continue to CTRL-Click to add even more.

The merge will be according to display order for 1, in Click order for 2.

Regards,

Gary

@BurgersnFries The ability to change the order in which notes are merged is something that I requested from Evernote support quite some time ago.  It makes no sense to me that if I create a series of Notes and then merge them, I get them in reverse chronological order.  So I was very interested to see that you can control what order they're merged in.  However, it isn't working for me (on Windows Evernote version 4.6.6.8360), so there must be something about your settings or setup that is different from antpugh's and mine!

So the question is, what is it?

Julie

I don't know.  But click order has been working for me for a long time.  I'd say at least a year or longer. 

@juwlz,

If they are merging in reverse chronological order, it's probably because you are displaying them in that order.

Change the display to chronological order, and they will merge that way.

1. Click... Shift-Click selects all the notes between the first and last click(inclusive).

2. Click... CTRL-Click selects any two notes(not including what's between them) and you can continue to CTRL-Click to add even more.

Regards,

Gary

Gary, the order of display has nothing to do with it, IME, if I use "click order".   The video I posted above in this thread proves that.

To be clear, "click order" is SOP Windows stuff when selecting files/folders/etc.  Select the first note, then CTRL click the second note, then CTRL click the third note, etc.  Just like you do when deleting/copying files/folders in Windows OS.

@BnF

I believe you are correct. The reason for the little spiel about the differences between "Shift" and "CTRL" clicking is that the references to reverse chronological order led me to believe that "Shift" was being used. Thus the display order was the determinant.

Regards,

Gary

• Level 5*

Not sure why you think you'd be laughed at for this -- it's good information, and it's the same as what I've found. Gives you the ability to have the best of both worlds -- either control via sort order, or explicitly control via selection order.

Archived