(Archived) With 750K Paid Users, Evernote Brings In $18 Million A Year

An article from TechCrunch

I must say that I am shocked to see how much productivity and integration EN has for such a small company.

I feel like I know the secrets (mind you that I'm fairly new) upcoming projects, upgrades, etc that are about to come or someone is currently working on BEFORE it actually releases. The EN employee's posts make it seem like they really care and are concerned. I hope that this doesn't change and being a paid user I hope its enough to keep you all going down the path to grow big but keep with the small company mentality. Remember your roots!

Congrats!

-----

http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/08/with-750k-paid-users-evernote-brings-in-18-million-a-year/

With 750K Paid Users, Evernote Brings In $18 Million A Year

ALEXIA

TSOTSIS

posted 4 hours ago Comments

Evernote CEO Phil Libin is on a tear; After making Inc Magazine’s “Company of the year” issue, partnering with French telecom company Orange and launching two apps, Hello and Food, he took the stage at Le Web to talk very candidly about Evernote numbers. Libin revealed that the company has hit 20 million registered users just 3 1/2 years after its launch, with 8 million monthly actives.

These users are long-term, Libin emphasized, with 42% eventually returning after they leave, “People that leave kind of miss it,” Libin said. He revealed that 750K of that 20 million are Evernote Premium users, paying $5 a month and $45 a year for the extremely handy services. Those paid users amount to $18 million in bookings Libin told me backstage after his talk, and the company was profitable until six months ago where it started aggressively hiring post its funding.

Over 9,000 apps are built on the platform. And the Evernote team has also expanded from 40 to 120 people, tripling in the past year — Libin hopes that number will eventually triple again. Libin basically attributes the success to focus, “ We’re not social. We’re not viral. We just focus on trying to make a product that’s great for us. And be as open and transparent about it as possible.”

WOW!!!

I had no idea they had 120 people on the team! I agree that it seems to me the employees (and principals) care about the company, the users and making a great product better. This is further evidenced by the new features/updates they have been adding for not only premium customers but free ones as well. (IE the recent lift on file types that free users can add.) I'm not only loyal to the product but the company as well - especially those people I've had much interaction with b/c it's all been positive.

I must say that I am shocked to see how much productivity and integration EN has for such a small company.

I feel like I know the secrets (mind you that I'm fairly new) upcoming projects, upgrades, etc that are about to come or someone is currently working on BEFORE it actually releases. The EN employee's posts make it seem like they really care and are concerned. I hope that this doesn't change and being a paid user I hope its enough to keep you all going down the path to grow big but keep with the small company mentality. Remember your roots!

Thanks for the kind words James.

That's actually a big theme of the company, the "forever startup" ideal--keeps us small, nimble and always on the move, even as we grow in number of employees. It's an interesting task--preventing bureaucratic tension, keeping employees and users connected with one another while managing this explosive growth. Part of the reason we're setting up studios and not satellite offices, too. And key to the theme of building a 100 year company.

From my corner of the world here on the forum, I expect our roots to deepen as we grow our userbase, add specialized users like Ambassadors, and increase the amount and kinds of content published here. More beta testers, more special events, more insights, all that.

Glad to have you here.

I'm not sure of all of the security requirements but I can't wait until or if they attempt a secure version so it can be a government/contactor's option.

FYI, they have stated in the past they are not interested in developing it for enterprise (cloud version or in house) - it's focus is for individuals. (Even though they've added some basic sharing tools.) However, by the time they have 40 million users (June 2012?) they may change their mind.

What a great business, but don't think that 100+ employees is small, it's a medium business and it's growing.

I mean, there are evernote employees worldwide and with web conferencing, they can talk with everyone and discuss stuff.

And so much free users but still racks up lots of money.

Archived