(Archived) Import Folder Behavior

s2sailor

• Level 5*

I've been meaning to ask this for a while and I don't think I've seen it discussed before. Here is the situation ... I'll create a Windows folder for a project and then put all related files into that folder. I will then set this to be an import folder into Evernote. Later I may makes changes to the files through Windows (not EN) and when I close the file it triggers the file to be imported again, which is what I would expect since I have modified the file, but I have noticed that if I just open the file and close it without modifying it in any way, it still triggers an import event, which is not behavior that I would expect. Just viewing files in this folder can create a lot of redundant file imports into EN. Is EN working as intended here? Is there any way for me to modify this behavior? I realize that I can just put the file into EN and edit there without the import process, but I prefer to have these project files in EN and in a Windows folder - thanks.

• Level 5*

s2Salior, I don't think there are any options to change the EN import behavior.

Perhaps an EN employee can comment on this.

But it sounds like you are using EN to capture each version of your file, since you want the file to be imported (as a new Note) after you have saved each change.

If this is correct, you may be better served using something like DropBox for this purpose.

• It is free
  • Support sub-folder hierarchy
  • maintains version for each change while current version is on top

• Level 5*
Are you sure you're not modifying it in any way? IE, check the last modified/updated date of the file in Explorer.

Yep. I figured it was triggering off the modification date but that was unchanged ... but looking at this again it appears to be file type dependent. Yesterday when I posted this I was working with Microsoft Project mpp files and noticed the multiple files being imported. This morning I tried PDFs, Word, Excel and Powerpoint and it only occurs with the project files, so NBD, but interesting.

s2Salior, I don't think there are any options to change the EN import behavior. Perhaps an EN employee can comment on this. But it sounds like you are using EN to capture each version of your file, since you want the file to be imported (as a new Note) after you have saved each change. If this is correct, you may be better served using something like DropBox for this purpose.

Thanks, I'm familiar with Dropbox but these are work files that I don't want on the cloud. I import into local notebooks. I'm actually not interested in saving each change, just the latest copy would be fine with me, though it would be nice if there was an import option to select between save all changes, or replace existing file with latest version.

• Level 5*

Different applications have different ways of handling open/close events. Can make it annoying if you depend on these events for determining that a file was modified, as Evernote does.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived