(Archived) Any way to access notes directly from Android File System?

easilydistracted

I'm pretty sure this is not possible because notes are stored in the db, not as individual text files but I am open to workarounds. Here is my problem...

At work we have windows xp workstations. We are not admins and that's not going to change. Also, we don't have assigned work stations and while they are networked they don't really take advantage of this option. To keep your stuff accessable you really need to keep it with you, not on the network. I don't have the internet and I cannot install Evernote for Windows. I have an Android phone and I can connect it to the computer via USB and use it as a mass storage device. I'd like to be able to add and edit notes from one of those computers, taking advantage of the full screen and keyboard for longer more complex notes (no a BT Keyboard is not an option). I'd also like to avoid having to import and export all the time.

Ideally I'd be able to access notes directly through the file system and edit them as rich text or even just plain text.

If that's not possible having a folder on my Android that watches for new text files and converts them to notes would work, at least for creating new notes.

Another possibility would be a portable version of evernote for windows that I could install on a thumb drive or on the SD card in my phone.

Any suggestions?

I don't have the internet and I cannot install Evernote for Windows.

Your employer doesn't let you have computers with internet access nor allow you to install Evernote on the computers. Kinda sounds like they don't want you "distracted" while you're on their dime. If you try to circumvent the restrictions they've put in place, you could wind up in trouble. I would suggest you let it go & deal with Evernote on your own time.

With all due respect, I didn't ask for any suggestions about whether I SHOULD try to solve this problem, I just asked HOW I can solve this problem. I shouldn't have to explain my workplace politics and operating procedures before asking for help. It's none of your business what my employer wants or what I do on their dime.

I don't need you to protect me with your sagely advice. I need help integrating Evernote (which last time I checked is generally used to improve Productivity) into my workflow within specific technical constraints. So please, I'm only interested in productive responses to my question. Keep your condescending puns and assumptions to yourself and don't make me come over there.

(Just so you don't worry, let me assure you that what I am trying to do is not against policy and it will not get me in trouble.)

This is possible but it may be difficult.

What you should know is that evernote stores ALL of the note data on the microSD if you select it in the menu. Assuming the notes are on the microSD or flash rom storage, you can access the files on the device.

Another thing to know is that evernote notes are modified versions of XML and can be edited with notepad, of course.

But there may be several obstacles such as finding which note is which, if when updating onto evernote cloud system will get errors due to merging, etc.

This is difficult to achieve, troublesome and better off done on a computer with Internet access to evernote web.

With all due respect, I didn't ask for any suggestions about whether I SHOULD try to solve this problem, I just asked HOW I can solve this problem. I shouldn't have to explain my workplace politics and operating procedures before asking for help. It's none of your business what my employer wants or what I do on their dime.

I don't need you to protect me with your sagely advice. I need help integrating Evernote (which last time I checked is generally used to improve Productivity) into my workflow within specific technical constraints. So please, I'm only interested in productive responses to my question. Keep your condescending puns and assumptions to yourself and don't make me come over there.

(Just so you don't worry, let me assure you that what I am trying to do is not against policy and it will not get me in trouble.)

Well, it sure sounds like your employer doesn't want you doing anything like using Evernote for personal stuff while at work. And if you're wanting to use it for work, it would seem you would simply approach your manager & demonstrate how you & your co-workers can more efficiently do your job with something like Evernote. But, hey, go for it.

• Level 5*
And if you're wanting to use it for work, it would seem you would simply approach your manager & demonstrate how you & your co-workers can more efficiently do your job with something like Evernote. But, hey, go for it.

That's the correct answer an Evernote Evangelist should provide. Particularly the "& your co-workers" bit. ;)

And if you're wanting to use it for work, it would seem you would simply approach your manager & demonstrate how you & your co-workers can more efficiently do your job with something like Evernote. But, hey, go for it.

That's the correct answer an Evernote Evangelist should provide. Particularly the "& cyour co-workers" bit. ;)

Evernoted. :)

I have introduced Evernote to several of my co-workers and they use it on their phones. Regarding our institution, technology is not a high priority. We still have Office 97 on several of our work stations. I have convinced the powers that be to move to Open Office and this approval was made in September but it has yet to be installed on one computer. I have no interest discussing all the nuances of the situation because it serves no purpose but to give you more of an idea, there are cracks in the walls of our office so big I can see outside. If you are interested in exploring how any institution can work this way go to work for an impoverished municipality run by a bunch of rednecks where the unemployment rate is well above the national average (despite our state being well below). I pick my battles and believe me, it will be easier for me to learn to code and write a custom program than it would be to deploy Evernote at work in the traditional manner. I hoping to find an easier way.

Archived