Feature request: inserted/attached image resize

A couple times, we've inserted photos into a note, and the photos (as one might expect) end up huge. This is because the source files are taken directly from jpg files downloaded from the camera. It would be nice if Evernote would provide a drag handle at the corner of the attached/inserted image to resize it to a size courteous for sharing with friends.

(Perhaps this is available and we simply haven't stumbled upon it. If so, my bad for this suggestion!) Until such a feature is available, we'll take the time to create resized images in advanced before copying/pasting into an Evernote.

• 2 months later...

What I think it is really needed is the option to automatically re-size the photo after it was captured by the phone/tablet and before it is saved into the Evernote. Right now I am changing the photo size settings in my Galaxy Note EVERY TIME I take the snapshot. So many times I forget to change back the settings.

• Level 5*

..the option to automatically re-size the photo after it was captured by the phone/tablet and before it is saved into the Evernote..

I agree it's inconvenient to change your camera settings - I swop between 8MP and 640x480 on a Galaxy S2, and occasionally forget so wind up with a grainy picture of something I wanted in hi-def, or a painfully large note. One option is to take the hi-def pics all the time and adjust the size and orientation via the desktop client, but that hits your bandwidth twice; once for the hi-res upload and again for the changed image. (It may not do your mobile usage much good either.) Or another could be to set the phone to low res and carry an actual camera for the artistic bit.

But "automatically resize?" - from what to what? There are a LOT of possible before and after combinations. And suppose I actually want a hi-res shot saved, rather than a low res version. And how about the processing time added to the camera's normal turnover?

I think I'd rather stick with what we have which leads to occasional annoyances, rather than something which might be an ongoing pain. And yes, I know you said "option" but I bet most people would switch it off pretty quickly..

Skitch is somewhat supposed to be trending towards some image manipulation - maybe whatever changed are proposed there will be an answer to this problem.

• Level 5*

Most iPhone camera apps allow you to save the photo in one of 4 standard sizes after you take the shot.

Usually you can set a default size, which can be overridden for each photo.

I think this resize function is built into iOS, so Evernote need only take advantage of it.

• 4 months later...

Yes, a simple way of editing the images without having to open a new application would be excellent. In fact, it would be amazing if you could integrate the Skitch functionality so you could draw on images using your mouse or even type on them (a la Penultimate) as well as resizing them. It should all be very intuitive and simple, just like the rest of the Evernote stuff. I'm sure you guys can do this?

Looking forward to it!

Oh, BTW, I'm on Evernote for Mac and iOS 5 :)

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*

The video was published in 2008, so it's not describing a new or updated option - this is just the way that editing a file from an Evernote note attachment will save the changes back to that note. So to the question above, yes that will change the original file to the new format. If you wish to retain the original too, you'll need to us Save As on the original, or on your changes, so that you wind up with two files. Save the extra file to your desktop so you can drag/ drop the new file into your Evernote note to keep it up to date.

• 1 year later...

I would +1 this feature request. The way I would like to see this work is to have a setting for Small / Medium / Large that I can set in "Right-Click Image Resize" Preferences with a maximum height x width setting (i.e. 200x200, 500x500, 1000x1000). Then within a note, I can right click and image, click resize, then click one of my 3 options.

Archived