(Archived) New Option for Premium Users: Increase Your Monthly Allowance

Keen observers will have noticed we recently launched a handy new option for our Premium users: increasing monthly upload allowances.

allowance_page2.png

A few things I'd like to highlight: First of all, this was a highly requested user option--like many options, this implementation can be tied directly back to user feedback. Second, it puts you in more control of your monthly allowance. If you're doing some end of year cleanup as part of your paperless strategy, or you're just now starting out with Evernote and need to do a heavy duty document dump, this enables you to add to your quota without having to resort to local notebooks. This makes high-volume upload periods much more manageable for power users.

Non-web-users take note: Right now you can only purchase the additional allowance using a credit card, from the web client. In the meantime, here's a direct link for non-web-client users. The link won't work for Free or Group accounts though (you'll get an ineligible message).

How much does it cost?

• You can buy an additional 1GB for $5.00 (or 450 Yen).
  • You can buy 5 additional GB per month (for a total of 6 GB for the month), or 25 additional GB per year (for a total of 25+12=37 GB per year).
  • The additional upload allowance expires at the same time as your current Premium allowance - at the end of your current monthly cycle.

Who can increase their upload allowance?

• Only Premium users can purchase additional upload allowance.
  • In a Sponsored Group, Group Sponsors and Members can purchase additional upload allowance.

Any questions/concerns/comments? You know where to put em.

Well, this was certainly timely. I've had to utilize this new feature b/c somewhere along the line, I accidentally deleted a widely used tag. ("Journal") :) Didn't even know it until I went to assign it to something & it didn't show up in the list! SO....I disconnected Old Dog computer from the internet & loaded up one of my recent Evernote backups. Turns out that tag had ~1000 notes that were assigned to it. 970 to be exact. Rather than try to identify the 970 notes in my current database & assign the newly created "journal" tag, I exported the 970 notes on Old Dog to an enex file & imported the enex file into my current database (on Big Dog). I then created a new tag "Journal tag deleted 20111206" & assigned it to the 970 notes & am in the process of uploading those. I know this means I will have 970 notes that are duplicated. But hey...them's the breaks. At least if/when I do a search & find one of these notes with the tag "Journal tag deleted 20111206", I will know to look for the other note, in case it had been modified. And, since many of these notes were audio files, adding them back to the EN cloud means I needed more than my normal gig...so...

THANK YOU!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr_idS01L6Y

Nice feature, well I'm still not premium since I don't power upload like others but I'm a poweruser and I end up being on an uploading spree whenever its the end of my cycle of 60mb. Would be nice for the ability to stack your unused usage so you wouldn't frantically upload stuff at the end of the cycles.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, very good, and I have already used it.

Now, I am going back and adding tons of files from the past basically putting all my archives into evernote.

There is a problem with this, though.

I have Archives of more than 100,000 files which I understand to be the limitation on number of notes.

At some point, I exceed the limit.

I would hope that this limit is increased at some point.

I love the idea of having all my PDFs for ever all OCRed in one place.

I usually take the text out of text like files and paste it into notes.

This means virtually all files are searchable in one place.

Again, though, at some point I exceed the limitation.

Yes, 100,000 is a big number, but for people who have been collecting files for decades not really.

• Level 5*

I agree with you monkeyman. I am nowhere near 100,000 at the moment. But I generate a lot of notes every day, and I am quite likely to get there within the next couple of years. It is pretty much inevitable, especially if you have gone paperless. There are a couple of solutions.

1. You can combine notes as necessary in order to reduce the overall numbers.

2. You can move notes into unsynced notebooks

Neither of these solutions strikes me as very good. I hope that Evernote reconsiders its cap. But, at this point they are sticking to it. Here is a thread for you:

• 3 weeks later...

If you have already reached the 100,000 note limit and have no feasible way to reduce the number of notes in that account, at the current point, we suggest you "archive" that account and begin another (then you can access that old one for reference whenever needed. It will still be "active", just not your main account.)

We've had a lot of people who have reached that limit already, but some of them simply set their Evernote email address up as a BCC, and every email they got, including spam, went into their account, so they merely needed to "clean their inbox" as it were, and suddenly they had 80% of their account free again.

But for an archiver, who has gone whole-hog into transferring their history into Evernote from one system into another, be it digital or paper, its entirely possible that you would also have hit the 100,000 note limit already (with small, text notes not even making a very large database), and that it would be devastating to ask you to recategorize your life's work.

So, yes - where you *can* do, merging notes is an option (you will need to empty the trash before you will be allowed to sync to the server), but otherwise, I would suggest deprecating that account as an "Archive" (like in Outlook) and starting from scratch with a brand new one. If you're Premium with a subscription, contact support and reference my post so we can take care of the back end of things for you.

• Level 5*

Hi Heather. That is really great news. I am nowhere near the limit, but that has been a concern for me, as I generate more and more notes. Just to clarify, we would be able to move our premium account to another one and be able to keep the old one as an archive (stil able to edit / add information to existing notes as needed?), and we wouldn't need to purchase two premium accounts?

(Looking at the ceiling)

(counting on fingers)

"carry the one..."

(scratching head)

Ok, by my calculations, I've been using EN for 40 months & have 46,254 notes. And I'm surrounded by many more docs just begging to be added, when I get the time to scan them. (I kind of feel like I'm in one of those Gumby episodes from the '60's.) But with the newly added option of upping our allowance each month (which I've done twice, twice. IOW, the past two cycles, I've adde two additional gigs), I should be hitting 100,000 notes in about four years, give or take. Although I'm not yet freaking out, I'm hoping/planning that the limit will be increased by that time. After all, we are talking about a (hopefully!) 100 year company!

BTW, to clarify, does the 100,000 note limit apply to the database in it's entirety (IOW, both local & sync'd notes)? Or just sync'd notes?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

What are you all putting in your EN to need the 1GB per month?

I'm not likely going to reach it but im curious... this month has only been about 30mb and I OCR all my PDFS... im just curious.

I have never hit the limit either, but that is partly because:

• I store all my high-res photos in Flickr, not Evernote.
  • Most of my PDF's in Evernote are just 1 or 2 pages. I do not store large PDF files inside Evernote.
  • All my cash register type receipts (not the 8.5 x 11 size) are stored in a program called Neat Receipts.
  • All my Excel, Word, PowerPoint files (not searchable by Evernote) are stored in Windows folders.

• Level 5*

OCR rarely

I'm not likely going to reach it but im curious... this month has only been about 30mb and I OCR all my PDFS... im just curious.

Everything.

But, in my case it is the book-length PDFs that really take up space. I have journal articles, scanned books, photographs of manuscripts, etc. all uploaded into the account. The 50MB limit on each file is a killer for me, and forces me to cut up files in messy ways. But, once it is all into Evernote, it is all searchable. Want to know what I was reading and doing at this time last year? I've got handwritten notes from my pre-iPad days (scanned in using ScanSnap), I've got the books/articles I was reading, and the stuff I was writing. It's all there in one place (for me, this is the key). I can search for anything and know that if it isn't in Evernote, then it isn't anywhere (like on my bookshelves or in a box in the basement).

Anyhow, OCR doesn't add anything to PDFs. PDFs get big when you scan the stuff yourself.

Since I've been trying to go as paperless as possible for ~five years now, I have a lot of scans that I'm adding. More info here.

• 2 months later...

OCR rarely

Everything.

But, in my case it is the book-length PDFs that really take up space. I have journal articles, scanned books, photographs of manuscripts, etc. all uploaded into the account. The 50MB limit on each file is a killer for me, and forces me to cut up files in messy ways. But, once it is all into Evernote, it is all searchable. Want to know what I was reading and doing at this time last year? I've got handwritten notes from my pre-iPad days (scanned in using ScanSnap), I've got the books/articles I was reading, and the stuff I was writing. It's all there in one place (for me, this is the key). I can search for anything and know that if it isn't in Evernote, then it isn't anywhere (like on my bookshelves or in a box in the basement).

Anyhow, OCR doesn't add anything to PDFs. PDFs get big when you scan the stuff yourself.

But things on your hard drive are in one place, OCRable (automatically) and searchable too, right?

Things like the 50Mb limit and residual concerns about handing over my entire life prevent me from clouding all my documentation just yet.

Why, if you don't mind me asking, primarily, do you do it? So you don't have to backup yourself? So you can access from the web away from computer?

(The functionality of EN for me lies in having stuff accessible from mobile, and having data capture from mobile.)

• Level 5*

OCR rarely

Everything.

But things on your hard drive are in one place, OCRable (automatically) and searchable too, right?

Things like the 50Mb limit and residual concerns about handing over my entire life prevent me from clouding all my documentation just yet.

Why, if you don't mind me asking, primarily, do you do it? So you don't have to backup yourself? So you can access from the web away from computer?

(The functionality of EN for me lies in having stuff accessible from mobile, and having data capture from mobile.)

Having everything in one place. Having everything searchable with a single query. Having everything available on my mobile devices. Having the ability to link and connect content in different ways (bibliographies, reading notes, etc.). Having the ability to share with others. Storage that accumulates (becoming more valuable over time) as opposed to fixed sizes of storage. The list goes on and on.

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of pre-purchasing space, and would really like to see "forever space" where you have the space allowence until you use it, like rollover minutes. The current plan seems to encourage people to do a massive upload just so they can use up their space before it expires.

• Level 5

I like the idea of pre-purchasing space, and would really like to see "forever space" where you have the space allowence until you use it, like rollover minutes. The current plan seems to encourage people to do a massive upload just so they can use up their space before it expires.

Or Evernote would prefer to avoid sudden spikes and have a steady flow of new content uploaded month after month over time.

They have found the more a person uses Evernote, the more likely the person will stay with Evernote.

Archived