(Archived) Feature Request: Import folder option to overwrite existing notes

MichaelInTheForum

The import folder feature on Windows almost works the way I would like it to, but I have a specific use-case where it falls short:

I have text files that I edit with a tool outside of Evernote that I would like Evernote to sync up with (one-way, into Evernote only is sufficient for my purposes. I dont edit these files in Evernote, but I use a shared Notebook to share them with others). However, I want to continue to edit these files with the external tool and have Evernote update the same note on import (ie overwrite the note) without creating a new note for each version that it imports.

Right now I have to go into Evernote and delete all the old copies of the note that get imported each time the external file is modified by an external tool. What I would like is an option to delete older notes imported from the same file.

• Level 5*

Evernote doesn't sync with import folders. If you want to edit embedded content, just do it from Evernote. For some file types, double-clicking on the embedded doc will activate the editing tool, for others, use right-click, Open With...

• 2 weeks later...

I think some of the confusion is in the description. It says, "Evernote can monitor selected folders and automatically import new and updated files....." I think some of us took the implication that "updated files" would be, well, updated, Not new. I had hoped, this would be the end all, beat all solution to replication, and it is indeed very close. I too, just wish it only updated the files, not made a new copy of them. Not sure how hard it would be, but perhaps a "simple?" "This file ABC123.DOC already exists. Overwrite, or cancel, or blah, blah...." It also doesn't currently monitor a "move" or "delete." If I do some file folder maintenance on my PC, i.e. move a document from the "work in progress" folder (currently monitored by EN) to the "Smith" folder, (also monitored by EN) I once again get two copies. Its doesn't register it as a "move" rather just adds the "new" file. and now I have two in EN on both PC and iPad. Bummer........

Evernote's focus is not to be a file sync'er (a la Dropbox). The import folder option is strictly a way to get documents into Evernote. You can double click the attachment icon (in the Evernote note) which will invoke the file editor on your computer. You can then edit the document & save it & it will be saved back into the same Evernote note.

Well, I can't speak to "focus" but the idea of Capture Anything, Access Anywhere does have a certain implication to it...... plus you probably know as well as I, that any time a "feature" or capability is offered, we users will immediately find a way to exploit it to its fullest extent! ;) I do admit, that if Dropbox offered complete offline syncing capability to mobile devices, I'd have significantly less use for Evernote, but until they do, Evernote's syncing and offline storage via Premium subscription is it. You had me there for a moment, as I did try the launch a doc "in" Evernote idea, and you are correct. All "copies" in all versions of EN captured the change! That's awesome. However, bad news is the "original" on my hard drive, back in the original "folder" from whence it came, did of course, not change. Rats. Again, sooooo close!

• Level 5*
. . . I do admit, that if Dropbox offered complete offline syncing capability to mobile devices, I'd have significantly less use for Evernote,

It sounds like DropBox already is a better fit for your needs, which is basically file sharing with updates.

You might consider submitting a feature request to DropBox to support offline folders on mobile devices, since it already provides this for the desktop versions.

Agreed. Its a hot topic over on the DB forum, and there are several horses in this race (sugarsync, too). But since Evernote already provides this exact functionality, I for one, (as would the OP, and several other's I've seen write questions about it) like to see EN get past this "duplicate" bug, which would benefit everyone. Thanks!

like to see EN get past this "duplicate" bug, which would benefit everyone.

As has been stated many times, EN is not a file sync'er. Import folders exist as a way to get files into Evernote. The workflow is to then modify the file in Evernote, rather than a copy on your hard drive. IOW, there is no "duplicate" bug.

If you want/need a file sync'er, use something like Dropbox.

• 1 year later...

I frequently find myself hoping "evangelists" get moderated for completely discouraging replies. How about suggesting a workaround or getting on board with people asking a great product to do more things right?

1. A feature request implies that someone wants new functionality. +1 from me on the functionality they want

2. Evernote for Windows is half a file syncer, with misleading text about it in the interface, so I can see how someone could call a "request for the rest of the feature" a "bug." +1 on cleaning up that text or nixing the half-feature

3. Evernote's also not a text editor, but it insists on opening text files. +1 on giving people the option of opening text files in their own editor and reducing the demand for folder syncing by half

Thank You,

-Nik (5-year subscriber)

• Level 5*

I frequently find myself hoping "evangelists" get moderated for completely discouraging replies. How about suggesting a workaround or getting on board with people asking a great product to do more things right?

Not sure what you're wishing for here. That evangelists be banned when they disagree with a non-evangelist? Get a stern talking-to or be publicly shamed by Mother Evernote? In fact, we are bound by the same forum rules that you are, and if you think that anyone -- including us or Evernote staff -- are in violation, then you should report the offending post.

As a rule, most of us are willing to offer workarounds, explanations, tips and advice when they're available, we often do so, and speaking purely for myself, are generally happier when we get to help out a fellow Evernote user. But we are in no way barred from otherwise participating in the forum as other users do. If you want to improve the level of evangelist discourse, then why not become one yourself?

On the topic at hand: I think that there's a reasonable case to be made that text files should be handled as other attachments are. If that were the so, then you could edit them in the same way that other types are edited. That'd be OK in my book. I don't think that there's much grounds for calling Evernote a 'file syncer', though. It's a note syncer: it syncs notes between Evernote clients and the Evernote servers, not files. Import and export are different operations from syncing. I do understand that providing the write-over functionality for import directories would be useful to some folks, but I can't see how anyone could call lack of file syncing a in Evernote bug; it's by design (a bug, in software development, is technically behavior that contradicts design). I do see how someone would want the design to be different.

1. A feature request implies that someone wants new functionality. +1 from me on the functionality they want

2. Evernote for Windows is half a file syncer, with misleading text about it in the interface, so I can see how someone could call a "request for the rest of the feature" a "bug." +1 on cleaning up that text or nixing the half-feature

3. Evernote's also not a text editor, but it insists on opening text files. +1 on giving people the option of opening text files in their own editor and reducing the demand for folder syncing by half

Thank You,

-Nik (5-year subscriber)

Here's the workaround I had posted (emphasis added) that is directly above your post.  Happy now?

As has been stated many times, EN is not a file sync'er. Import folders exist as a way to get files into Evernote. The workflow is to then modify the file in Evernote, rather than a copy on your hard drive. IOW, there is no "duplicate" bug.

If you want/need a file sync'er, use something like Dropbox.

Here's a workaround that's potentially better than "stop wanting what you want" and "stop wanting it from this application."

Evernote has a "Tools > Import Folders..." functionality with room for confusion. If you want to actually sync a folder of notes with Evernote, acknowledge how wrong you are in wanting this, then do the following since it's your best shot.

You can search for all file-notes you've previously imported from the folder like so "sourceurl:file://C:\yourfolder\*" then delete them. Then do the import again.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived