Post-its + Evernote?

Butter

I recently started using Evernote, and absolutely love it. Cloud is awesome!

Anyway, not sure where to post this but I wish there was a Sticky Notes version of Evernote. I've always been a huge Post-it user. The wall next to my desk used to be covered in them (still is somewhat...)! Now I put some of them in Evernote, and some are on the Sticky Notes software that comes with Windows. Problem is, I have 3 computers, not to mention my phone. So while I can access everything on Evernote on any of these devices, the Sticky Notes are all local. :/

While I CAN in theory put them in Evernote, I like being able to have them on little patches on my desktop. I can scroll over the icon to see them with Aero Peek for quick reference. It's also a different organizing system since you can drag the stickies around rather than making lists in a single note, or poking around different notes in the Evernote interface. Sooo it would be awesome to have some integrated sticky note software with Evernote! Cloud stickies! One can dream...

Any other Post-it addict feel the same way? (Or anyone with Evernote tricks that can make-shift solve my Sticky situation?)

PS: That was a Link only. Application not tested, but, it's features seemed to match your requirements. It also seems to be Windows 7 centric which is of absolutely of no personal use to me.

PS: That was a Link only. Application not tested, but, it's features seemed to match your requirements. It also seems to be Windows 7 centric which is of absolutely of no personal use to me.

I'd like to try this applicaton but the Windows 7 requirement is a show stopper for me.

1. Take a picture of your wall (or pictures, in sections)
  2. Make sure the notes are all legible enough for Evernote to OCR the content.
  3. Add picture(s) to Evernote.
  4. Stop using stickies!

Can't stop using stickies, not having to click multiple times to get to them, and being able to drag them around the screen is too important. It's a different way of organizing certain things. Taking ss of my desktop would just be ridiculous for editing purposes. =)

Will have to check out that app when I get a chance, though I wouldn't be able to use it with my phone. =/

• 1 month later...

Read this with interest but trying to see how it would fit into my Evernote life.

I do get given or even create post it notes or make notes in little books when I am out and about. But for the last five years since my OneNote days and now happier Evernote days I just put these notes on to my days diary.

Some make recall that the way I work is to create a new note every day which is given the days date such as 120204 for today - thanks GrumpyMonkey for that snippett, much better than my old system. As things happen I type it into the days note, then add the little 'todo' tick box - sorry cannot remember if that is what it is called! Then 'Insert Horizontal Line'. A new task or enquiry would then go under the line and so on throughout the day. As I work on the task, I type what I have done and what I need to do.

When all the days tasks are completed the day is dropped into the 'completed' diary Notebook.

So any potential post it note will only be another task in my days diary.

The only post it note I have in my study at home is a customers credit card details. I am legally not allowed to put this on a computer, based on the security clearance we have with the bank. So it seems to be working.

Ooops, just spotted two post it notes on my pull out drawer for the keyboard. Best get those passwords into my secure section of Evernote!

Best regards

Chris

Hi Owyn,

I think you mentioned that the other day and I thought it was a great idea many thanks. I will keep it in mind as it could be very useful as you say.

I have created a short cut to my diary and with the day code that I use thanks to GrumpyMonkey the current day is always on top when I click on the diary.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Checked out the app mentioned above (thanks @dominikweber) - for the record, it installs fine in Vista and works seamlessly with EN. For anyone who's just absolutely, terminally GOT to use stickies I'd say it's a winner. Not sure personally - it will be useful for items that I really HAVE to do, since the note sits on my desktop. Unfortunately there's no way to hide it either - which means I got fed up after a while and went back to my detached Evernote note page. Notes and mind-mapping seem like two sides of a coin - with m'maping you can nest and arrange more, but the simpler layouts are easy with stickies. And I can take a pic of the screen to add to my day note. Maybe - will try out for a bit.

you could also check out this app:

http://www.evernote....ems/stickynotes

this app allows you to have multiple colored stickies on your desktop and automatically synchronizes them with your evernote account. works on windows xp and above.

here's a demo video:

http://hosting.edo-s...om/stickynotes/

Dominik, are you the developer of this app? If so, it's best to state this up front.

yes, i'm one of the developers of this app :)

Thank you. FWIW, there's nothing wrong, IMO, with promoting your own app that integrates with EN. But I always appreciate knowing if someone is a satisfied user of the app vs a developer. And I have no qualms about promoting third party apps that I think are great.

I think this application is great. It is one that I have been hoping for.

It almost has everything I want. The only it does not have is the ability to stay on top of an application. Maybe in a future update?

Thank you to the creator of the application.

• 2 weeks later...

yes, i'm one of the developers of this app ;)

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I don't see any other way to contact you as developers of this app. I think your sticky-notes app is great, but I would like for the ability to have it sit only in the system tray, rather than show up on the task bar. Having it run in the background but keep my notes on the desktop would be wonderful. Also, is there a way we can keep the notes glued to the desktop so they don't pop up in front of other apps?

Otherwise, great app, thanks!

• 1 month later...

I agree. There's no way to contact the developers of this app to give feedback. If evernote sticky notes wants to replace regular desktop stickies (and I hope it does) it needs to live in the system tray and allow choice of stay on top of windows/stay on desktop. These are standard features of desktop sticky note programs so we note users get used to using them. I love this app for the possibility of syncing my notes across devices. There's still no android version but I'd use it anyway if not for the other two things. Especially the system tray. I uninstalled it over that. Hopefully the dev sees this and makes the changes. While I like choice of colors, fonts, and font sizes, I could do without them before I can do without minimize to tray and on top/underneath. Thanks for your work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dominik. Could add my voice to the requests for dual-monitor support. I like this app a lot but it doesn't fit in with the way that I have my desktop organised; I have no spare space on Monitor 1 but lots of places where sticky notes could sit on Monitor 2. Thanks.

Again To Dominik - Thanks for the great app - my one request is that I could have an option to keep old stickys in the stickys folder - ie updating the sticky syncs with evernote but deleting it from the desktop leaves it in the folder - or moves it to my default folder?

All The Best - Trav

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Dominik

I like your app so much, it was very handy to sync notes from my Android Mobile Phone to my Desktop Notes.

I'll be very happy if evernote integrate such an useful feature in it's App it self.

Because, even after moving some important reminders in notes form from my mobile phone to my Laptop via Evernote App, i have to desperately open it in my laptop and has to find what has changed and what is new in a sea of so many other notes, there is no distinguishing method to see newly created notes or there is no "in your face alarms" also in..

But, the sticky notes app easily shows all the notes in our desktop it self, so i never miss, but i also won't keep so many notes in my desktop. so, i can easily catch new once..

But Evernote Sticky Notes no longer syncing with my Evernote Account.

Here is the error.

Exception of type "Evernote.EDAM.Error.EDAMUserException" was thrown.

I hope you release fix soon via an update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Level 5

[edit: since posting Evernote for iOS appeared in the app store]

[edit: since posting, it's now on the Evernote blog]

More Evernote Post-It "integration"

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/25/4771278/3m-evernote-post-it-note-photo-apps

But holy cow, did the Evernote marketing team leave and go to 3m?

How can this be on the tech news sites, and nary a word on any Evernote property?  Not the website, the blogs, the forums or the News page?

Especially when you go over to 3m... Their stuff is fully baked, the post-it's are in the store with Evernote branding all over it.  

http://www.post-it.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Post_It/Global/Solutions/Evernote/

resource.png?resizeSmall&width=832resource.png?resizeSmall&width=832

Seriously, look at this page:

http://www.post-it.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Post_It/Global/Solutions/Evernote/

That's a stunning amount of work, and in the style you've come to expect from the Evernote marketing team, for something you wouldn't know existed just looking at the Evernote site, or Evernote on your phone.

Complete with help in using the "Post-it note mode" on your iOS 7 "Evernote Camera"...

http://www.post-it.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Post_It/Global/Solutions/Evernote/Evernote-Camera/

resource.png?resizeSmall&width=832

resource.png?resizeSmall&width=380

resource.png?resizeSmall&width=832

[edit: whew, the 3m content management system doesn't display the images in an Evernote forum compatible fashion, so I've grabbed and reshared them, but expect them do get yanked at any moment]

• 4 months later...

you could also check out this app:

http://www.evernote....ems/stickynotes

this app allows you to have multiple colored stickies on your desktop and automatically synchronizes them with your evernote account. works on windows xp and above.

here's a demo video:

http://hosting.edo-soft.com/stickynotes/

This app requires you to enter your Evernote username and password for sync (obviously).  Does anyone know if this information is theoretically available to the developer, or if the EverNote API "hides" this info from the app and only the Evernote service and the API relay the account information.  I really want this feature, but I am hestitant to enter a user name and password into an app that is not in the Evernote market and for which there is no identifiable information on the developer company provided at the above link.  Thanks for any help.

Actually the app doesn't ask for your username and password. It uses the OAuth authentication mechanism, which requires you to login to the Evernote website using your standard webbrowser. The username and password are not visible to the app.

Thanks for the reply, Dominik.  I hadn't seen any activity from you on this thread since July 2012, and I thought the app might be dead / no longer developed.  Even with OAuth, though, users are, in essence, giving complete access to their Evernote data to the app, right?  I'm of course not implying that the app is misusing that data, but these days it's good to know when one is making a calculated choice to expose data.  Thanks for helping me understand before I install.

Related question...are you actively developing this app, and if so, are you going to be offering it via the Evernote Market?  Thanks!

You're welcome :)

Please bear in mind that the app was initially developed during our free time as a candidate for the Evernote Developer Competition, and we're not making any profits out of it. We are however aware that the app has quite a large user base and as we love the functionality it provides and use it ourselves the app is still being developed. We can't constantly keep working on it, but we release updates from time to time via the built-in update feature. For example, we added synchronization support for Dropbox and Google Drive over the past years.

We too see the data protection issue in today's internet quite critically and do everything we can to keep your data save; this is also why we decided not to include any ads or adware with our app (even though preventing us from receiving monetary gain).

In the past, the app was available via the Evernote Trunk, which was replaced by the Evernote App Center. Our app isn't listed there, but I have already contacted the Evernote developer team regarding our submission to the new App Center.

• 2 years later...

I really wanted to like the Sticky Notes app that Dominik worked on. It think it is an awesome idea, but it just doesn't work for me and here's why: I hand-write all my notes on my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 smartphone, which go directly into the Evernote app and sync up with the Evernote desktop application in Windows. Works great! Now hand-written notes are not the same as typing with the keyboard. Therefore, hand-written notes do not appear on Sticky Notes even though they show up on Evernote just fine. In Sticky Notes they only show up as blank notes. It would be great if Sticky Notes did more than just typed text and incorporate hand-written notes (drawn images/stylus strokes) from Evernote as well.

Archived