(Archived) How do I OCR A Web Clipping?

vilmosz

Idea

I notice that I can search for text within Evernote and that the search finds text inside web clippings. And yet... AND YET (!) -- I can't select, copy and paste isolated text within an Evernote web clipping. Doesn't seem possible... but it is true? What explains this otherworldly phenomenon and how can I work around it or find a solution?

9 replies to this idea

What explains this otherworldly phenomenon and how can I work around it or find a solution?

The EN server software builds a tree of the possibilities for each word, and then that data is sent back to your client and associated with the note. This means that if it isn't sure whether a word was herring or hemming, both of those possibilites are associated with the note. That means you'd find the note by searching for either herring or hemming.

[From "]http://discussion.ev...out-image-ocr/]

Because Evernote OCR creates these word trees, it doesn't recognize one exact version of any text it OCRs, so therefore you can't copy it or otherwise extract the text.

Sorry, I don't have a solution for you (though others hopefully will).

Let me restate since there's some confusion: If I grab a portion of the screen using the EN clipping tool to grab a block of text, it will go into EN as an image. I can find the text when I do a search in EN. But I CAN NOT highlight and copy specific words in the text. Is this clear? Am I the only one experiencing this?

Let me restate since there's some confusion: If I grab a portion of the screen using the EN clipping tool to grab a block of text, it will go into EN as an image. I can find the text when I do a search in EN. But I CAN NOT highlight and copy specific words in the text. Is this clear? Am I the only one experiencing this?

If I'm understanding you, you're doing a screen cap of text. Yes, that's an image. Otherwise, just highlight the text & copy/paste.

• Level 5*

Just to clarify, if you are using the Evernote tool in the OS X toolbar and you clip then this will generate an image that you cannot then go to and select text from (because it's an image).

If you clip from a web page using one the browser clippers, then you are grabbing the actual content itself and so you can go back and select text or an image.

Archived