Rules Engine

H_G

Is anybody familiar with any sort of rules engine/ auto filter in Evernote. I hate to say it but, I'm looking for something akin to an Outlook feature where I can sort my notes as they are received via e-mail.

I have filters setup in my GMail account that automatically forward some notes to evernote via email. However this causes a large number of new notes that are unfiled and end up in the Default folder. I would like to setup some sort of rule engine to process these as they come in.

Thanks for the help.

Hemanth

• 3 weeks later...

In case this is helpful:

No, I'm aware of that, Brandie, this issue is that I can't automate that.

The point of the forwarding was to make it automatic. GMail filters see that it's a receipt, and it automatically forwards to my Evernote email address without me having to take any action. But when you forward an email, it retains its original subject line. If there were a way to have GMail do forwarding with a custom subject line, I'd do that.

This has been discussed a lot. AFAIK nobody has found a robust solution yet. The best I have come up with for my own use is a "Inbox Mail" Saved Search (notebook:"@Inbox" source:mail.smtp). That at least lets me handle all the forwarded items in that context. Replace "@Inbox" with your default notebook name for your own use.

Owyn: Thanks so much for the "source:mail.smtp" function. I hadn't known about that, at it will be incredibly helpful for me.

I have four or five daily newsletters automatically forward to Evernote, and I had the same problem/complaint as Jeff510. (I've of course seen Tarpipe recommended, but when I created an account and tried to set it up, I got hopelessly lost.) To date, those newsletters auto-forward but appear in my inbox as a reminder to tag them in Evernote when I see them in my email. Now I can have them auto-archive because if I get in the habit of searching, at least once a week or so, "source:mail.smtp -tag:*" I'll catch the untagged emails easily and be able to tag them as I want.

I'm still hoping for what Jeff asked about, but for now this search will help a lot, so thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, it looks like what I'm looking for is available as part of how you send an email. Here's the email response I receive the first time I used it....very nice.

"Congrats! You've just emailed a note to your Evernote account. Did you know that you can send it to

to a specific notebook and assign tags to it? Here's how:

1. Select a destination notebook for your email by adding @[notebook name] to the end of the subject line.

2. Add tags to your note by typing  #[tag name] at the end of the subject line. This feature works with existing tags in your account.

3. To designate a destination notebook and add tags, be sure to list the notebook name before the tags.

An example subject:

Fwd: Recipe for Bouillabaisse @Recipes #soup #fish #french

Happy emailing and organizing in Evernote!

Thanks,

- The Evernote team"

• 6 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I will have the aforementioned "rules engine / auto filter" solution available for beta tesing in about 90 days, hopefully sooner. I have all the hard stuff done, I am just cleaning it up. It searches your folders for notes that match your configured criteria, and then takes the configured action on the matching notes. I like to think that my rule interface is easy to use, we will see if you agree. Let me know if you are interested in testing once it is ready. Ok, back to coding.

thanks a lot,

Perryn Gordon

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Any update on the rules engine? If it's still in beta, can I add my name to the list of interested users?

Thanks, Bill

I will have the aforementioned "rules engine / auto filter" solution available for beta tesing in about 90 days, hopefully sooner. I have all the hard stuff done, I am just cleaning it up. It searches your folders for notes that match your configured criteria, and then takes the configured action on the matching notes. I like to think that my rule interface is easy to use, we will see if you agree. Let me know if you are interested in testing once it is ready. Ok, back to coding.

thanks a lot,

Perryn Gordon

Hi Bill,

Coding is moving forward in earnest. I was shooting for about now to beta release, but I am a behind schedule because I changed the framework for the web interface 2/3 of the way through! The back end is working as expected so I am excited to get it rolled out. I will post when I am ready for you to login, then you can private message your email to me.

Thank you for your interest!

Perryn

• 4 months later...

Hi Bill,

Coding is moving forward in earnest. I was shooting for about now to beta release, but I am a behind schedule because I changed the framework for the web interface 2/3 of the way through! The back end is working as expected so I am excited to get it rolled out. I will post when I am ready for you to login, then you can private message your email to me.

Thank you for your interest!

Perryn

Perryn,

Any update on the rules engine?  It's been a while since we last heard from you.  I'm still interested in beta testing if you are willing to add me.

Thanks, Bill

The original poster has filters set up in Gmail to send to Evernote but wanted a way to send it to the right notebook with tags automatically.  There is a Gmail script called "Gmail to Evernote (gm2en)" that performs this task well.   If you combine this script with appropriate gmail filters you can automatically take an incoming email and forward it to Email with all the HTML and attachments intact and appropriate notebook and tags attached (along with header information and a link back to the original e-mail in Gmail).  Saves a lot of time in processing notes manually.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

I am also waiting for a rules engine in Evernote, any news about this project?

I haven't heard of any news on this, and Evernote does not typically release their feature roadmaps. I'd suggest that you check out the IFTTT or Zapier services, which can serve as a sort of rules engine for Evernote for some types of triggers/actions.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

I had to put this on the back burner for a bit, and currently I still have more to complete to become beta-test ready. I will do an "alpha preview" this week, though. 

AppleMac, LoganDB, I will message you (probably tomorrow) with the details, please give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

One of the aforementioned details: To get ready you will need to go to http://sandbox.evernote.com , create yourself an account, and populate it with some files, folders, and tags.

Your feedback will be very helpful. Thank-you for your continued interest,

Perryn

Nodrog,

Thanks for keeping me in mind.  I'm all set.  Created a sandbox evernote account, same username = applemac.

Thanks again,

Bill

Hello Everyone,

I had to put this on the back burner for a bit, and currently I still have more to complete to become beta-test ready. I will do an "alpha preview" this week, though. 

AppleMac, LoganDB, I will message you (probably tomorrow) with the details, please give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

One of the aforementioned details: To get ready you will need to go to http://sandbox.evernote.com , create yourself an account, and populate it with some files, folders, and tags.

Your feedback will be very helpful. Thank-you for your continued interest,

Perryn

I'm really interested in any type of "rule engine" as well. I had begun working in the other direction, manipulating emails with an automated imap inbox which would change email properties (such as add a #tag to the subject line) based on various conditionals. However it is far from complete. If anyone would like a warm body to help test anything I would love to help.

@Ryan D,

Apparently I don't know how to use PM today. It keeps throwing errors.

There is no registration process in ActionRules yet, so I'll need to PM

the credentials for your account. I'll try again in a bit.

Perryn

Hi Everyone,

In my system, Action Rules, the rules are composed of a filter and and action. Thus far I have implemented filters on note metadata. You can match on the Note Name, Text, Date, Size, Tag, Folder, and custom Checkboxes (generated from within Action Rules). Actions implemented thus far are Move or Copy Note, Add or Remove Tag, Add or Remove AR-Checkbox, Check or Un-Check AR-Checkbox.

Additional filters I will be adding will allow searching on image recognition data, and office document data.

Additional actions I am considering are "assign reminder", document conversion (like Word to PDF), and maybe some form of encryption.

What do you think about these? What filters and actions do you think would be valuable to add to this system?

Thanks!

Perryn

Hi Nodrog, 

I would definitely appreciate to be able to take a look at your app (even in a very early stage).

I was developing the exact same app before realizing I would not have the time and energy to go further.

+1 for reminders

I'll give you more feedback after a good night's sleep :)

Laurent

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Rense,

Thank-you for your interest. I am working towards releasing another alpha, maybe this weekend. I may implement the self-registration page on this go 'round, if not I will remember to include you in the user list.

thanks!

Perryn

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The original poster has filters set up in Gmail to send to Evernote but wanted a way to send it to the right notebook with tags automatically.  There is a Gmail script called "Gmail to Evernote (gm2en)" that performs this task well.   If you combine this script with appropriate gmail filters you can automatically take an incoming email and forward it to Email with all the HTML and attachments intact and appropriate notebook and tags attached (along with header information and a link back to the original e-mail in Gmail).  Saves a lot of time in processing notes manually.

Can you post an example of a Gmail filter that posts to a specific notebook and adds tags? I use gm2en but haven't been able to debug the part about notebooks and tags in my Gmail filters. Thanks for any help!

Mike

• 1 month later...

Me too! With so many notes, documents and more in Evernote manualI organizing takes too much time. Even apply tags takes too much time. I can't believe there's no way to find duplicates other than manually searching. Evernote is a great place to dump everything but no so much for easy organizing.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello everyone, a few months ago, I created a rules engine, running on my own server, and it has been running on my own evernote account for a few months now. I decided to open it up to other users! Hope you'll find it useful! Visit the following link http://autocron.co 

Archived