(Archived) How to output content?

John@HayesWorldwide

Idea

I'm new to Evernote and I've got a problem that I can't resolve . . . hope someone can help me.

I've created a notebook and collected notes (no images) from a stack of academic papers that I'm going to use in a literature review for a paper that I'm writing. I have 118 notes and now I need to understand how to "see" them and "print" them so that I can write the paper.

I used to use 3x5 cards . . . one note per card. I'd put a tag and a reference to the actual document at the top of the card, then I'd sort all the cards into piles (by tag or by category). Then I'd organize the pile . . . the order of the cards would prompt what I would write first, second and so on . . . I'd write about the first note, then the second, the third, etc., until I finished that pile. Then I'd move to the next pile.

I'm missing my piles!

I would like to now print out a "pile" from Evernote . . . search on a tag, for example, "lit review", get just those notes and print them (hopefully with the reference info, i.e. title of article and author/s. There are 40 notes that pop up in my "lit review" search . . . but how do I print them? How do I print the search so that I can have each note printed on paper, whether it's one note per piece of paper (I don't want to do that, of course) or it's 3 notes to a piece of paper . . . I don't know how to output the content.

Thanks.

8 replies to this idea

Even though it's not what I wanted to hear, thanks for responding and letting me know. I can't understand how a tool like this would not support the print function that I'm looking for . . . people who write need some sort of organizational methodology and being able to work from grouped notes is the only way I know how to write -- 18 published books and countless articles, so I'm not a new writer. At any rate, thanks -- usually I post questions (not ever before here) and get no responses so I appreciate hearing from you!

To print out all the notes from a search highlight all notes (etiher by Ctrl Command + Mouse click each note, or click a single note and hitting Ctrl + A err.. I mean Command + A) and go to File-> Print. Each note will be printed as a seperate page.

Hope this helps. :)

• Level 5

This may be an unhelful answer :-( but I'll venture it anyway: I suspect what you want could be done in Applescript. Certainly the "extract stuff from selected notes" piece (or query analogue thereof) is doable.

Anyone feel like a FinkThriday? :-)

Martin (who's already got his own FinkThriday)

• Level 5*

To print out all the notes from a search highlight all notes (etiher by Ctrl Command + Mouse click each note, or click a single note and hitting Ctrl + A err.. I mean Command + A) and go to File-> Print. Each note will be printed as a seperate page.

Hope this helps. :)

I don't think that this works on a Mac - have you tested it?

I don't think that this works on a Mac - have you tested it?

Yeah. Originally I thought it was a Windows problem. I keep forgetting that the Mac and Windows clients have different capabilities.

Thanks for the various responses . . . I do use a Mac and so that may be the problem in this case. Such an important task -- without it I don't think I'd continue using Evernote -- if I can't get it out the way I need it, no sense of putting it in.

The only other thing I can suggest to you is this workaround. If you select all the notes and e-mail them to yourself you can get a very large note in the e-mail body. Basically it merges all the notes together and seperates them with a blue header with all the note's information such as title, author, creation date, tag, etc.

I think you can do this in the Mac client, but I know for sure you can do it in the Web client.

• Level 5*

Alternatively, you could just merge the notes - this will create one note and delete the source notes (you can always go and grab them from the trash if you don't want to really delete them). No need to email them.

Archived