(Archived) KB Spotlight: Mac Keyboard Shortcuts

gbarry

Idea

Evernote maintains an extensive (and searchable) knowledge base on each of our platforms and products. The KB Spotlight is a regular forum feature that helps educate and cross-pollinate knowledge base articles with our user forum.

As always, your comments are welcome!

Mac Keyboard Shortcuts

Global

You can use those system-wide shortcuts while working in any application (provided Evernote is running). You can redefine these shortcuts in the Preferences > Shortcuts tab.

⌘ N New Note

⌘ ⇧ N New Notebook

⌃ ⌘ N New Tag

⌥ ⌘ N New Evernote Window

⌘ W Close

⌘ S Save

⌘ Y Quick Look Attachments

⇧ ⌘ P Page Setup

⌘ P Print

⌘ Z Undo

⇧ ⌘ Z Redo

⌘ X Cut

⌘ C Copy

⌘ V Paste

⇧ ⌘ V Paste Without Formatting

⌘ A Select All

⇧ ⌘ M Merge Notes

⇧ ⌘ X Encrypt Selected Text

⌥ ⌘ F Search Notes

⌥ ⌘ S Save Search

⌘ R Reset Search

⌘ F Find in Note

⌘ G Find Next

⇧ ⌘ G Find Previous

⌘ J Jump to Section

⌘ : Show Spelling and Grammar

⌘ j Check Spelling

⌥ ⌘ T Show Toolbar

⌘ 1 List View

⌘ 2 Mixed View

⌘ 3 Thumbnail View

⇧ ⌘ A Hide Unassigned Tags

⇧ ⌘ I Show/Hide Note Info

⌘ L Go to Selected Note

⌘ T Show Fonts

⇧ ⌘ C Show Colors

⇧ ⌘ T Insert To-do

⇧ ⌘ L Insert Table

⇧ ⌘ H Insert Horizontal Rule

⇧ ⌘ F Simplify Formatting

⇧ ⌘ O Toggle Numbered List

⇧ ⌘ U Toggle Bulleted List

⇧ ⌘ Tab Increase List Level

⇧ Tab Decrease List Level

⌘ K Add

⇧ ⌘ K Remove

⌘ B Bold

⌘ I Italic

⌘ U Underline

⌘ Bigger

⌘ - Smaller

⌘ { Align Left

⌘ } Align Right

⌘ | Center

⌘ M Minimize

⌘ 0 Activity

11 replies to this idea

Since this was deleted over the course of that 18 hour period, I'll only respond that we had some significant discussion on consistency between our documentation with regard to Mac and Windows clients, and I'm looking into it :)

• Level 5*

I think the use of the term "Global" is misleading for the Mac shortcuts.

Most of these are "Global" in the sense that they will apply to whatever application is currently active.

For example, if Excel is active, and I press ⌘ N it will create a new Excel document, NOT a new Evernote Note.

But they are NOT Evernote "Global", meaning that no matter what app is active, some action will be taken by Evernote.

The KB article for Windows Keyboard Shortcuts uses the term "Global" to mean that the action will be taken by Evernote regardless of which app is active.

There are ONLY 5 Mac shortcuts that are truly global. They are listed in the EN Mac Preferences.

The Mac KB article is very confusing. Please rewrite it to be consistent with the Windows KB article.

Thanks.

Corrections Needed:

1. ⌘ J Jump to Section
    Should be: "Jump to Selection"
  2. ⌘ K Add
    Should be: "Add Hyperlink"
  3. ⇧ ⌘ K Remove
    Should be: "Remove Hyperlink"

KB article (both in Mac and Win) recently received some edits. Not the global change requested above, but these changes were made.

There should be a shortcut to "View All Notes".

I'm often clicked into a notebook, but then want to click on a tag. It will say "no notes exist." I have to click back to view all notes before I click on that tag again.

I wish either:

1. Clicking on a Tag, took you directly to all notes in any notebook with that tag. OR

2. There was a shortcut key to reset to all notebooks so you could click on a tag.

Lenny

the shortcut ⌃⌘N (for New Note) now conflicts with lion's finder command for New Folder with Selection (which is new and is extremely useful).

while i'm fully aware how to customize keyboard shortcuts, it would be better for evernote's default commands not to conflict with the mac OS' own commands. :o

I'm often clicked into a notebook, but then want to click on a tag. It will say "no notes exist." I have to click back to view all notes before I click on that tag again.

I wish either:

1. Clicking on a Tag, took you directly to all notes in any notebook with that tag. OR

2. There was a shortcut key to reset to all notebooks so you could click on a tag.

Lenny

I agree a shortcut to view all notes would be useful, but please do NOT do #1 here. Then there would be no easy way to see JUST the notes in a particular notebook with a particular tag. If I've selected a particular notebook to work on, I want my searches / tag filters/etc to operate on just that notebook.

I thought there used to be a "global" shortcut of some sort that changed the view to all notes and put the cursor in the Find box for a search. Wouldn't that do the trick for #2?

I wish either:

Lenny

I agree a shortcut to view all notes would be useful, but please do NOT do #1 here. Then there would be no easy way to see JUST the notes in a particular notebook with a particular tag. If I've selected a particular notebook to work on, I want my searches / tag filters/etc to operate on just that notebook.

I thought there used to be a "global" shortcut of some sort that changed the view to all notes and put the cursor in the Find box for a search. Wouldn't that do the trick for #2?

agreed. we need:

1. a shortcut to take us to "all notebooks" (and scroll to the top of that list).

2. a shortcut to clear the current search results and scroll to the top of the current notebook. (after performing a search, i'm constantly having to (a) clear the search, then ( ;) click on one of the listed notes to "activate" the list, then © hit the home key (or fn-left arrow on the macbook pro) to get me back to the top of a list. i perform these steps many, many times a day. pleeeeeeeease give us shortcuts for these functions. :-)

Archived