how to add images as attachments?

In Windows you can attach pics (instead of embed them) by making a change in the registry:

HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/StrictAttachments → change from 0 to 1

Then completely restart Evernote.

But it seems that all new pictures are attached now. So it is only a workaround.

And I have recently seen that on Android-devices you see this pictures embedded and not attached.

Marcel.

only because a program is not working properly (as advertised) or has a lack of working features, does not mean, its not worth to use it.

i like EN, thats why i stopped looking for alternatives.

thats why i come here and complain about every sucky buggy feature or if something is not working. (to make it work (again)).

i really like EN.

• Level 5*

It's not a bug, it's an opportunity!

(Or am I getting my management speak gobbledygooked?)

At the moment it's working exactly as advertised.... I agree though, it would be nice to have images displayed as attachments.

only because a program is not working properly (as advertised) or has a lack of working features, does not mean, its not worth to use it.

i like EN, thats why i stopped looking for alternatives.

thats why i come here and complain about every sucky buggy feature or if something is not working. (to make it work (again)).

i really like EN.

evermullah... I know you post a lot of complaints. But I also know you've researched them, your posts (IMO), are never demeaning & know you work a LOT with EN (or else you wouldn't have discovered these items) and I know how viable they (your complaints/suggestions) are. IMO, your posts are very helpful.

But then again...I'm just an EN user...not part of the dev team...so take my comments for what they are worth!

• 9 months later...

The whole image has to show inside of the note as opposed to just a small attachment. This can't be right surely? I'm adding a homepage screengrab and its loooooong.

I don't see a screen cap, but yes, images are normally shown embedded rather than as attachments. And many of my images are pretty big, since a lot of them are coming from my iPhone and/or unedited photos from a digital camera. But the scrollbars appear (list view) and I can maneuver my way around the note. If I want to see thumbnails, I use either the snippet or thumbnail view.

• 3 months later...

I would really like an option to display notes with the images listed as attachments. I like to create notes with a large number of files attached. The files tend to be Word docs, PDF's and images. The docs and PDF's list as attachments. The images are displayed in actual size. It makes viewing the note almost useless. I would rather have all attached files in a list, or at least have an option to view all attachments in a list, or at the top.

• Level 5*

Not available at present, but a good suggestion, and one that has been raised before. Currently your only option is to change the file type (from JPG forinstance) to something not recognised by Evernote. Your image editor may recognise and open the file anyway, but Evernote with just display the attachment. If your editor won't play, to change the file you would have to copy the file to your desktop, edit it, then rename and then resave to the note. Not clever.

+1 for the suggestion however - there is a Reg key to display all files as attachments, but it seems not to work on picture files.

+1 for the suggestion however - there is a Reg key to display all files as attachments, but it seems not to work on picture files.

I guess you are reffering to StrictAttachments?

It doesn't force them to display as attachment, but it allows for you to right click and choose view as attachment.

It will also make images that you drag into evernote while holding shift show as attachments.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I found a workaround to this problem. I start a new Word document, insert the pictures I want in the Word document, and save it. Then I insert the Word document as an attachment. It takes a few more minutes, but eliminates clogging up my Note with a bunch of huge photos.

• Level 5*

One approach is to just put the image(s) in a ZIP file.

On the Mac, this is done very easily:  Just select one or more image files in the Finder, right-click, and select "Compress <N> Items"

Then attach this zip file to an EN Note.

There are apps available to create thumbnails from your images.

So you could create the thumbnails AND the ZIP file, and attach all to your Note.

Here's a free thumbnail app for the Mac:  ThumbsUp for Mac | MacUpdate 

Best of both worlds.   ;)

Another option that would allow you to optionally view the images in the Note is to create a PDF from the image(s).

At any time you could choose to view the PDF in the Note "As Attachment" or "Inline".

Archived