(Archived) Feature request(s): Tag search, Notebook selection

gmc

When creating or editing a note:

1. After selecting Tag, start searching on first char, (optionally) autostart keyboard.

I have a lot of tags (most) starting with a single character (@ for context, * for people, & for reference, . for projects, etc.), if the search starts at the first character I can just hit "@" and see all of my Context tags immediately, or "*" and see all of my People tags. ..saves a keystroke and I don't need to remember the tag name as much.

2. Exit Notebook selection immediately after make a choice. Now you have to addionally press ok. Since the only a single notebook can ever be selected there is no reason not to dismiss the requestor once a selection has been made. ...saves a keystroke.

I have a suggestion for item #1

I believe it would slow down the app if the search starts at the first character. I use tags in a similar way, but I've figured out a workaround. I always insert a space after my prefix in all of my tags, so when I do a search, I simply type the prefix and hit the space bar, and all the tags with that prefix show up in the quick search menu.

Give it a shot! I don't think it's a hassle at all, especially if it keeps the app running smoothly.

@borets

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know that starting the search would slow the app down. It appears to be instantaneous to me (once it starts) -- and we're only talking about ~<100 tags, worse case -- should be fast. Maybe EN can comment. Doesn't adding the char<space>char format to tags cause problems when sending/forwarding notes from an email, where you use the "#tag" format in the subject line to set the tag(s). It seems like the parser wouldn't be able to distinguish that space from other spaces as a delimiter. I wonder what the reason is for not starting the search immediately as on the desktop version.

• 5 months later...

Regarding my original post, #2 has been resolved -- thank you!

Is there any chance that we could get some attention to #1 above?

When creating or editing a note:

1. After selecting Tag,
start searching on first char
, (optionally) autostart keyboard.

I have a lot of tags (most) starting with a single character (@ for context, * for people, & for reference, . for projects, etc.), if the search starts at the first character I can just hit "@" and see all of my Context tags immediately, or "*" and see all of my People tags. ..saves a keystroke and I don't need to remember the tag name

Thank you.

Archived