Ctrl+space (remove formatting) behaviour

Running EN 4.5.0.5229 on Windows 7.

In the past, Ctrl+space used to remove formatting from the selected area. That gave me a choice to clean up what I wanted, including the whole doc by first selecting it all using Ctrl+a.

Now all it does is to bring the font size back to the default, or at least that's all I see it doing. It leaves the different fonts, bold, italics, etc. intact. Just brings them back to font size 10 in my case.

Seems to me that's wrong behaviour. Any possibility to make it work like before?

I see the same behavior, though I can't remember any previous behaviors...I have never needed to use it...

A possible workaround would be to select all, cut and paste as text (Ctrl + Shift + V)

That removes the formatting for me.

I see the same behavior, though I can't remember any previous behaviors...I have never needed to use it...

A possible workaround would be to select all, cut and paste as text (Ctrl + Shift + V)

That removes the formatting for me.

Thanks. My typical use case is when I want to remove formatting for a small section of text. I don't have a simple way of doing that now, except for the manual changes.

• Level 5*

I have seen some notes where the formatting does change - around images, etc. However, not all change. I have taken a look at some notes with ENML editor and I suspect that the problem is the huge variety of formats/styles that webmasters around the world use - including all those sites that are generated by code only at the time of delivery to your browser. Then you may be using a different browser to me - even if we are both using Windows. You may have a different flavor of Windows, which may make some differences in what gets served up to you and how.

Now, given all those variables, how can we expect the programmers at EN to come up with a way of handling every possibility? While they do a great job, I think working miracles may be a bit beyond their time constraints ... not to mention priorities!

JMHO!

• Level 5*

I've already mentioned in other threads here that I use utilities that either PDF the page so I can attach it to a note, or save some or all of it as JPGs. If necessary I cut and paste text, but both PDF and JPG files can be OCR'd so as to be searchable later.

• Level 5

By design, Simplify Formatting only removes font tags and style attributes from the underlying HTML. It doesn't remove any other tags (in particular, it doesn't affect things like bold, italic, underline, etc.)

By design, Simplify Formatting only removes font tags and style attributes from the underlying HTML. It doesn't remove any other tags (in particular, it doesn't affect things like bold, italic, underline, etc.)

All I am saying is that it should apply to the section I have selected, not the whole document.

If I want to Simplify Formatting for the whole document, I can do a ctrl-a ctrl-space. That'll be much more flexible than now, which currently removes all font sizes from the whole document.

• Level 5

All I am saying is that it should apply to the section I have selected, not the whole document.

OK, I didn't realize that was happening. That's now fixed at revision 204577. It'll be available in the next beta and the official 4.5.2 release.

OK, I didn't realize that was happening. That's now fixed at revision 204577. It'll be available in the next beta and the official 4.5.2 release.

Good to hear that. Thanks for responding, will keep an eye on this in the next round.

• 6 months later...

When I paste into Outlook, even after doing simplify formatting, the first paragraph is a different size/font than the rest of the text it pastes. This doesn't seem to be expected behavior.

• 9 months later...

Version 4.6.3 of the Windows desktop client seems to have changed the simplify formatting feature. Rather than simplifying the formatting of just the text selected by the user, the feature now simplifies the formatting of the entire note. Is this the intended behavior going forward -- or is it the reemergence of a bug that will be fixed in the next release, just as it had been fixed once before as per Emerick Rogul's post #8 above?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello! I was not able to reproduce this on v5.9.6. To simplify formatting on text within the Evernote application, first select the text by highlighting the text you want to simplify and then hit Ctrl+Space or from the menu select Format > Simplify formatting. If you are still having issues with this feature, feel free to open a support ticket and we will look into this issue further with you.

It works better, but there are still some problems. See screencast here: http://screencast.com/t/J8TmW4D48 where I copy content from this web page: http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/12/10754436/commercial-eeg-headsets-video-games-mind-control-technology to evernote on windows v. 2.9.6.9494

When I click ctrl + space:

- it selects larger area to clear formatting on, which is not a big problem

- formatting of second selection is not cleared. 

• 1 year later...

Looks like it is sort of  fixed in Beta 6.7

As of  2018-02-28 Ver. 6.9.7.6770  I am still struggling to clear formatting. I seem to have to use Notepad to remove formatting.  This is what I want, when I hit Ctrl + Shift + Space I want it formatted like it came from notepad please.

Archived