(Archived) Japanese Books on Evernote - in English?

In the Trunk, there are several books/guides for Evernote that are only in Japanese: The Evernote Textbook, The Perfect Evernote Manual, The Evernote Handbook (and more).

As someone who wants to learn everything there is to know about Evernote, I want to read these books but can't speak or read Japanese. Is there any chance these will be/have been translated into english? I've read the two english ebooks and am ready for more. I need to immerse myself more information...I just can't get enough.

Thoughts?

-Eos-

• Level 5

Hm. If you don't want to learn Japanese... :)

I guess you have read "Evernote Essentials" by Brett Kelly. That's a great foundation.

Other than that I'd suggest you go for "Learning by doing". Use EN, search and read the forum threads and ask questions here.

Wern

• Level 5*

I've read several of them. They are generally not terribly impressive, and I don't think it would be worth the effort to translated them.

There are lots of things you can do to familiarize yourself with Evernote. Brett Kelly's book will give you a firm foundation. However, I think taking a look at some of the other great resources online will also get you up to speed pretty quickly.

Just my two cents: I immersed myself in Evernote stuff (these forums, random reviews and descriptions on the web, the software itself) for the first couple weeks after I started using it. Reading all the reviews of Kelly's book, I bought it. It taught me some new search functions—which I could have found on the Evernote site if I had sought them out—but nothing else. I think it could be great if it's truly the first or second guide you use to learn Evernote, but not after you have even a week or two of significant exposure to the program. I found that it was pitched at the true beginner, and even after a short time using Evernote, I had figured out most of what Kelly covers. If the book were priced at, say, $5, I wouldn't caution anyone against it, since it would be useful for the price. But since it's $25, and since I've only seen positive reviews anywhere I've seen it mentioned, I just wanted to give warning that there is at least one person out there who wishes he hadn't spent $25 on it.

I second the recommendation to pore over the forums.

• Level 5*

True. It's $25 and only 90 or so pages. It's nicely done, but it might be better to go in with a friend on it :)

The most recent book I have seen (published in August) is considerably more detailed than Kelly's and it costs about the same amount (considering the exchange rate). There are tons of screenshots (you can look through it if you like), but it walks you through things that you probably already know, like how to take a picture, and tries to cover usage on several platforms.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/EVERNOTE-HACK-%E7%AF%A0%E5%A1%9A-%E5%85%85/dp/4863540892/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320413377&sr=8-2

I have Brett Kelly's ebook. I skimmed the first ~half of the first (now outdated) version, which was prior to EN4. The first half of that version was stuff I already knew (installation, setting up notes, IIRC, etc.) The second half was when he started to get into the stuff that was of interest to me. I've downloaded but haven't even looked at the updated version, but really need to do so. I will try to put it on my Kindle, this weekend.

There is another, less expensive, ebook by Dan Gold. I've not purchased it, so cannot say anything about it. The posts that I'd seen on the message board were all positive, though.

More info in this thread.

I've also bought and read Dan Gold's book. It's quite short (only 40 pages, nearly half of which are about his personal experiences with different organization and productivity apps), but helpful, and since it's only $5, it's not much of an investment. Just be aware: It's entirely about how to use Evernote for GTD (and general productivity). Don't buy it if you're looking for a guide to Evernote; buy it if you want exposure to one strategy for implementing GTD in Evernote.

In the Trunk, there are several books/guides for Evernote that are only in Japanese: The Evernote Textbook, The Perfect Evernote Manual, The Evernote Handbook (and more).

As someone who wants to learn everything there is to know about Evernote, I want to read these books but can't speak or read Japanese. Is there any chance these will be/have been translated into english? I've read the two english ebooks and am ready for more. I need to immerse myself more information...I just can't get enough.

Thoughts?

-Eos-

Great conversation above. As for your OP question, those books (I think there are 15+) are written entirely by Japanese users, and aren't handled by us. We just have a really active and awesome user-base in Japan, and they've churned out books and even a character after the Evernote logo. I don't have numbers on how many of those are print on demand titles, but I can tell you we've run across quite a few of them in bookstores too.

Brett and Dan's books, are, to my knowledge, what we've got for the English speaking market. Ron's tips (an Evernote employee) is a good space to check out, and our blog does a really good write up of releases and usecases, with new content pretty much daily.

I've read both Dan Gold's and Brett Kelley's books and have mixed feelings about them. As mentioned, most of the items I already knew or discovered after using Evernote for a bit. Brett's book really threw me for a loop when he started talking about his tagging structure. I;m a tagaphobe (if it wasn't a word before, it is now) and he lost me there. Gold's book was ok but not geared toward how I want to use Evernote. I'm not a GTD person and it was very productivity oriented. (Don't get me wrong, I *love* my productivity apps. I just do things my own way.)

You're right about the forums. I've not fully appreciated this resource. I'll do more reading here.

I appreciate the input. Thanks!

-Eos-

• Level 5*

i really got into tags after reading brett's book. somehow, i finally "got" it. life has been so much better :)

as for the japanese users, i was converted by one of the faithful there. he pretty much did all of his work, notetaking, etc with his iphone and a bluetoooth keyboard. it was amazing how much he could do wi evernote. i became a premium user that night :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

If we have 15+ books in Japanese, why don't we have one or two of the best translated into English?? Since the user base in Japan is so large, I am sure some bilingual Japanese folks would be willing to do that.

どうも有難う御座いました (Domo Arigatoo gozaimashita).

Wern

• Level 5*

If we have 15+ books in Japanese, why don't we have one or two of the best translated into English?? Since the user base in Japan is so large, I am sure some bilingual Japanese folks would be willing to do that.

どうも有難う御座いました (Domo Arigatoo gozaimashita).

Wern

time sensitive, boring books (the ones i read weren't exactly page turners), copyright issues, and lack of potential sales? i can think of lots of rasons why a computer software manual doesn't get translated.

Archived