(Archived) PDF Image Searching

JohnDoe

Idea

Okay, I know this has been asked many times before, but I still don't know the answer. Basically, I want to know how to search through Command-F) a PDF image file. Yesterday, I uploaded a file, tried to search a word in it, and was astonished to find that I could actually do it. I moved that file to the trash (it was the wrong file), uploaded another PDF image file and found out I couldn't search through the PDF anymore.

What am I doing wrong?

P.S. - I don't have a premium account.

8 replies to this idea

The indexing of PDF's sometimes takes a while. Depending on size, etc. Also if you an image containing text (like a picture of a book cover) saved as a PDF, that often confuses the client.

Another question here re searching--I'm a premium user and scanned things in using ScanSnap s1500 using the "run ocr" feature upon scanning. Now all my scans are searchable, but the words aren't highlighted in the pdf. If I get 10 results, it's a real drag to figure out where the search term is found. Any ideas?

Another question here re searching--I'm a premium user and scanned things in using ScanSnap s1500 using the "run ocr" feature upon scanning. Now all my scans are searchable, but the words aren't highlighted in the pdf. If I get 10 results, it's a real drag to figure out where the search term is found. Any ideas?

This is the Mac section. Are you using the Mac client? AFAIK, the Mac client does highlight the search terms in PDFs. OTOH, the Windows client does not. You would need to open the PDF in a PDF viewer & use it's search function to find all the occurrences of the word(s) you're looking for.

oops--you're right. I posted in the wrong section.

So, to recap, the pdf's in Evernote are ocr'd (as a premium user) and/or when imported via ScanSnap, but the search term won't be highlighted when found on the Windows platform. That stinks! I wonder if that will change? Until then, I guess I should scan in jpeg format.

Archived