ScanSnap and Evernote Error

Empire01

I have just bought a ScanSnap S1300 and set up Evernote so that it scans directly into Evernote (used the instructions from Michael Hyett). The scanner is working fine for producing PDFs and storing in a folder but when its directed to Evernote I get the error message 'Failed to start up Evernote for Mac.

Make sure that the selected application is installed correctly.'

Has anyone any ideas how I can correct this?

Thanks

So I hunted down some information that may help. From a fujitsu scansnap manual (If you want to see the specific reference from the Fujitsu manual, click the link and just search for "Evernote"):

If you try to install "Evernote for Mac" that is bundled with the ScanSnap when Evernote for Mac is already installed in your computer, an error message may appear. In that case, perform the following procedure.

1. Exit Evernote if it is running.

Check the Dock and the right side of the menu bar, and confirm that Evernote is not running.

2. Install Evernote for Mac.

For details, refer to "Evernote for Mac" (page 57).

It's possible the two installations could be conflicting, though I didn't have that issue when I installed with Scansnap and already had EN running. I do recall I had to follow some very specific instructions though, which I followed from our blog post.

• Level 5

It's possible the two installations could be conflicting, though I didn't have that issue when I installed with Scansnap and already had EN running. I do recall I had to follow some very specific instructions though, which I followed from our blog post.

Notice before running the video Alex already has the scanned document showing on his Mac. hehheh

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This problem just started for me too. I am running Evernote v5 from the Mac App Store. I can save scanned documents to folders, but not to Evernote and I get the same Failed to start up Evernote for Mac. Possible related: I can not drag a file to the Evernote icon and have it save to Evernote. Also I can not create a new note in Evernote. Hmmmmm lots of problems that I hope are related to the same cause. I have trashed and re-installed Evernote from the Mac App Store. I think this all started when I upgraded to 5.0

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Okay, I got this working by creating a new "profile" within ScanSnap Manager

hmm, i did that and it didnt work for me.evernote, do you (evernote) have a solution for this? this is scary, now im afraid to update evernote after this. my entire file system is on this thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I recently uninstalled EN for Mac and reinstalled it to fix a different problem. When it was reinstalled, it was reinstalled, I believe, in a different location.

And now I am having the same problem with the error message, "Failed to start up Evernote for Mac. Make sure that the selected application is installed correctly." 

As others have noted, the scanner is working fine, and the scanned file is in the downloads folder. I just have to move it to EN manually.

When I have scanned a lot of documents, it is actually a bit faster to do it this way, but I wish I could get it fixed. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Until Evernote fixes the problem the simplest solution for me on my iMac has been to do the following before scanning:  Quit Evernote.  

Make sure it does not appear at all in the Dock.  If it does, right click on the Evernote icon, select Options>Remove from Dock.  

When you scan, ScanSnap reopens Evernote (and it appears in the Dock) and your scanned document should appear in Evernote.  As long as I don't turn off the ScanSnap, I can continue to scan, but as soon as I close the ScanSnap lid or turn if off, I have found I have to go through this same process again so that I don't receive the error message.

From a person uncomfortable with uninstalling and reinstalling and doing other technical stuff with computers.

Happy Scanning

Archived