REQUEST: Docked notes

bendaman

Hi guys,

Ok obviously Onenote is one of Evernotes major competitors on the Windows platform and I was crossing over to the darkside the other day to have a look at its features when I realised that you can have linked notes in Onenote. These are notes which are docked beside a page or program and are linked to it so pop up when it pops up, allowing you to take notes on it as you work without changing page.

It looks like this (on the right):

okelly_fig01.jpg

Onenote describes its functionality as;

"Taking linked notes in Microsoft OneNote 2010 Beta makes it easy to do research on your computer by letting you take notes in a docked OneNote window on your desktop while you work side-by-side in other programs or in your Web browser. Notes taken in this mode are automatically linked by OneNote to whatever you’re looking at in Internet Explorer, in Word documents, in PowerPoint presentations, or on another OneNote page in any of your notebooks.

During a Linked Notes session, OneNote stores with each paragraph of notes a link to documents or Web pages that you used, so that you can click that link and easily return to this content again later on. OneNote also stores a thumbnail image of the page and a text excerpt from any Word 2010 or PowerPoint 2010 files you looked at, so that you can easily locate and recognize the correct page or slide again."

From - http://www.onenotehelp.com/2009/11/19/take-linked-notes-in-onenote-2010/

So yeah what im saying is that it would be great if this were implemented into Evernote. I this possible? desirable?

• Level 5*

Haven't looked at this in any detail, but aren't they saying that once you've taken your "linked" (One)Note, you can use it to get back to the page you were looking at? By using a link built into the note? Exactly like Evernote links do now? And if you want a free-standing note, you can just find the note, doubleclick to make it a stand-alone, click on the embedded link to open the hyperlink and get on with your life. And Evernote has the option of building in more links to files or notes so you can jump to other documents or pages as required.

I think we already have the T-shirt for this.

Haven't looked at this in any detail, but aren't they saying that once you've taken your "linked" (One)Note, you can use it to get back to the page you were looking at? By using a link built into the note? Exactly like Evernote links do now? And if you want a free-standing note, you can just find the note, doubleclick to make it a stand-alone, click on the embedded link to open the hyperlink and get on with your life. And Evernote has the option of building in more links to files or notes so you can jump to other documents or pages as required.

I think we already have the T-shirt for this.

I think the only thing we're not supporting in this scenario is the "docked" behavior of the note. So while it's floating around in its window, it can be covered up by the applications you're linked with...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, thats the thing. Evernote is a brilliant tool for data collection and would be more so if we could just dock it next to our web browser to drag and edit content in. It could also be docked next to applications so that you can take notes as you work and have it open automatically every time that file opens.

• Level 5*

Windows 7 itself has some behaviors that are similar to docking which work fine for this -- you can just dock a note (or the entire Evernote application, depends on how big your screen is) over on one side of your screen, and switch in other apps, browser, whatever. I do it all the time (ok, two screens at work makes it better)

• 5 months later...

I think gazumped and a couple of others don't understand what he's asking about. I have evernote AND onenote. Each has certain functions the other does not. I prefer so many things about the Evernote, but, docking is just crucial for me. When you press the dock button it just attaches itself the the right side of your open window.

I can have 20 tabs open in that window and as I jump from tab to tab the onenote stays open right on the side and I can just grab images and flick them over there with out 'changing' processes' or windows to do it; sometimes when I press the window or the evernote a certain way it either expands or minimizes; just - whatever.... YES I have been using evernote, it's fast and functional, I love it; but when I'm doing images, I'll have to stick with the easy dock easy flick one note for now.

To a few, don't be so arrogant about it, right? Not everybody's the same. I tried the side by side with the evernote and it just doesn't look right, and I just don't like it that way.

Welcome to the forums BunnyOlesen. Of course any two programs will have different UIs, and if there are UI features you love in one, you may miss them in another. But just to check: You've tried Evernote's favorites bar and found that its functionality isn't what you need?

• Level 5*

the docked feature looks cool to me. i'm happy with how the evernote app works in this regard, though, so if it would be a lot of trouble to add such a feature (assuming evernote wanted it) i don't think it would be worth it.

more broadly speaking, each of the two apps has its strengths, and it is a good thing for users and developers to be evaluating them. thanks for posting op :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I have used OneNote for many years now and recently switched to EverNote for some of my note taking. I wont go into detail on the things I like and dislike form each but in the area of DOCKING, which searching for docking in EverNote has led me to this post, well I miss docking.

No matter how anyone tries to sugar coat it, having my NOTES docked so other programs can not cover them up is MANDATORY. I have 2 SUPER large monitors. And when I need notes, for what ever reason, I want to have access to read and write to without fiddling with the screens of my note taking tool and the other programs running. The note taking tool is a extension of my mind and therefore I use it with everything so when i need that extension to help with a task I want it to have priority!

The OneNote dock function is quite spectacular because it literary carves out space on your monitor and will not let any other application use it. And when I resize it the entire desktop automatically resizes with it with no effort from me! How I handle this with EverNote is tedious... having to change the size of each program to all fit properly(even with windows dock to side). It feels like I am fighting with the app... NOT what I need to do at a time when I need notes. LOL

I would love to see this functionality added. I am actively looking for a 3rd party application to do it(so far the best solution has been making my own with powershell) specifically for EverNotes use... which is to say even though I have a free copy of OneNote with my work's MSDN, I want this bad enough to pay extra for it. 

My 2 cents...

EDIT***********************

I since have found this solution adequately does the trick and it is simple and cost free. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13784/keep-a-window-on-top-with-a-handy-autohotkey-script/

It is not a docked window, but the on top functionality serves a very similar function. 

The attached image I have this post up as the window I am working on and you can see EverNote is available to use while reading the post. The stay on top ability is a quick toggle so I can turn it on when I need it and turn off when I do not. 

Untitled.jpg

Archived