(Archived) Feature Request: generate note links on mobile

keith_en

• Level 5*

Evernote aim to have the same functionality across all devices, so note links will I'm sure eventually appear on mobile devices.

Before you ask, Evernote don't publicise their roadmap or a release schedule.

• 2 months later...

I was pretty disappointed to discover, today, that this is still not possible in the iPhone and iPad apps. It actually makes no sense that this is not yet an option, because you CAN share a note to Twitter: when you do that, a tweet is generated, and the body of the tweet contains a shortened URL that points to the note, in the same way a URL generated from the desktop app points to the note.

If Evernote is already generating a note link to be shortened and included in a tweet, then why not also provide the option of just giving us that URL that we can copy and paste anywhere we want?

My workaround, for now, is to go ahead and send the tweet; copy the shortened URL and paste it wherever I need to; and delete the tweet if it makes no sense to leave it in the public stream.

I'm actually thinking of creating a second twitter account, just to facilitate this process without any of my followers seeing these tweets. I will be ever so much happier once the Evernote team allows us to see the URL within the app, instead of in roundabout ways.

• Level 5*

twitter is a shared link, right? a good workaround, but i am not sure what the implications are. we already have a way to insert links in the rich text bar. it would be nice if evernote would just stick the current note link in there. of course, any cutting/pasting of that note link currently breaks it, so that needs to be addressed as well. let's hope this is on the road map and coming soon!

• 3 months later...

Evernote-

Do you guys read these posts? Evernote on iOS is crippled without a reasonable way to share the link via clipboard. I understand that the twitter link export is a work-around but its too arduous to be useful. Please add this PC/Mac functionality to your iOS Evernote.

Thanks,

a future Evernote fan

• 1 month later...

Evernote-

Do you guys read these posts? Evernote on iOS is crippled without a reasonable way to share the link via clipboard. I understand that the twitter link export is a work-around but its too arduous to be useful. Please add this PC/Mac functionality to your iOS Evernote.

Thanks,

a future Evernote fan

This is the feature that really needs to be included. Failure to provide this basic functionality will drive me away fom Evernote.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I just posted Ticket #65947 to report this

Ticket description:

From the title, I would expect the "Copy Link" button that pops up from the selector in the lower right hand corner of a note (along with Message, Twitter, Print, Mail) to copy the note link to the clipboard.

Instead, it shares the note and copies the URL for the shared note to the clipboard. There are two problems here:

1) There is no indication of sharing on the "Copy Link" button. On the contrary, there is a nice two-link chain that looks like something secure. I push it expecting an internal link to the note, but instead it puts it on the web, accessible by anyone through an obscured URL.

2) There is no possibility elsewhere to actually copy the note link.

Suggested solution: Change the name to "Share Note" and add "Copy Link" elsewhere in the interface. 

• Level 5*

I just posted Ticket #65947 to report this

Ticket description:

From the title, I would expect the "Copy Link" button that pops up from the selector in the lower right hand corner of a note (along with Message, Twitter, Print, Mail) to copy the note link to the clipboard.

Instead, it shares the note and copies the URL for the shared note to the clipboard. There are two problems here:

1) There is no indication of sharing on the "Copy Link" button. On the contrary, there is a nice two-link chain that looks like something secure. I push it expecting an internal link to the note, but instead it puts it on the web, accessible by anyone through an obscured URL.

2) There is no possibility elsewhere to actually copy the note link.

Suggested solution: Change the name to "Share Note" and add "Copy Link" elsewhere in the interface. 

I've mentioned this as a problem before as well. It is very confusing. Your solution sounds good to me. At any rate, whatever they do, it can't be more confusing than what we have now, in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

Archived