(Archived) REQUEST: Sections and subsections

mirrornette

Idea

As those of you who have iPhones might know, Evernote has support for rich text...but not totally. Instead of allowing for multiple font sizes, the only things you can have on Evernote notes on the iPhone are section, subsection, paragraph, and blockquote. Now I can live with that. In fact that somewhat makes my life easier. Unfortunately, from what I see, those four options don't exist on Evernote for Mac. All I can find is a drop down menu to pick different font sizes. So if I make a note on Mac with headers (not sections but larger fonts), if I want to edit on my iPhone, I have to reformat the note, then make the section headers. Isn't there a way to just make section and subsections on the Mac?

11 replies to this idea

I'd be interested in a reply to this as well...what I found upon experiment is that notes initiated on iPhone are interpreted as e.g. 26-point font for Section, 20 point for Subsection, and if copied from Mac client into another HTML authoring window (e.g., WordPress) the HTML (e.g., <h1>) is preserved, but these font size options aren't even available on the Mac client, and at any rate I doubt they would convey e.g. <h1> HTML if authored originally on the client. The bottom line seems to be that the Mac client currently does not support this normal HTML formatting…which among other benefits is a handy way to do outlining!

Many thanks,

Jim

After using the Section and Subsection features on the iphone, it would be nice to have keyboard shortcuts to get the same formatting on Mac.

I use the iphone for a lot of my daily journaling and use the section/subsection, but it is a PIA to continue matching formatting when adding to it on the Mac.

Would also be nice to get the option to insert a horizontal line on the iphone.

• Level 5*

feature parity, especially with formatting, would be nice. evernote staff have said they aim to achieve feature parity, so i expect it will come sometime in the future.

I hope so, but I don't have much confidence. We have been waiting for some features in EN Mac that were in EN Win over 2 years ago.

Couldn't agree more!

I use EN daily on Windows, Mac, iPhone and iPad, and would rather have less features in each platform and have them common to all platforms. As it stands the change in formatting from one to the next is unacceptable - c'mon guys!

• Level 5*

Couldn't agree more!

I use EN daily on Windows, Mac, iPhone and iPad, and would rather have less features in each platform and have them common to all platforms. As it stands the change in formatting from one to the next is unacceptable - c'mon guys!

hi. welcome to the forums!

i think most of the core features of evernote (rich text editing -- bold, italics, underline) are the same across platforms. i don't know why some features exist on some platforms, why some get removed on one but not on another, etc. however, evernote staff have stated many times that parity is their goal, so even if it takes years, eventually we ought to get there :)

Just adding my voice. Am revisiting and exploring Evernote as a organizer/journal for personal projects. Was using the mac app earlier today to write some notes and found myself wishing for the ability to use semantic formatting, something akin to H1, H2, etc. I don't want to have to worry about keeping rich text content consistent across notes and would love some "set it and forget it" semantic styles. Was thrilled to later find that "section" and "subsection" exists on the iPhone and iPad, but it makes the ommission of such a feature on the desktop app even more glaring.

As those of you who have iPhones might know, Evernote has support for rich text...but not totally. Instead of allowing for multiple font sizes, the only things you can have on Evernote notes on the iPhone are section, subsection, paragraph, and blockquote. Now I can live with that. In fact that somewhat makes my life easier. Unfortunately, from what I see, those four options don't exist on Evernote for Mac. All I can find is a drop down menu to pick different font sizes. So if I make a note on Mac with headers (not sections but larger fonts), if I want to edit on my iPhone, I have to reformat the note, then make the section headers. Isn't there a way to just make section and subsections on the Mac?

I absolutely love Evernote, except for a few things. This is one of them. Unfortunately, your original comment was nearly two years ago and this issue is still not resolved.

Just adding my voice. Am revisiting and exploring Evernote as a organizer/journal for personal projects. Was using the mac app earlier today to write some notes and found myself wishing for the ability to use semantic formatting, something akin to H1, H2, etc. I don't want to have to worry about keeping rich text content consistent across notes and would love some "set it and forget it" semantic styles. Was thrilled to later find that "section" and "subsection" exists on the iPhone and iPad, but it makes the ommission of such a feature on the desktop app even more glaring.

Just adding formatting buttons for Section, Subsection, Paragraph, and Blockquote to the Mac app would make my day!

It occurred to me today that this subject would be moot (at least for me) if Evernote simply supported Markdown. However, I see Markdown has been requested in other threads, and that request hasn't really gone anywhere.

All I want from my editor is for it to be semantic (so I don't get bogged down by styling, but can instead focus on what my words mean) and quick writin’. Markdown is inherently semantic and quick because you never have to reach for the mouse/trackpad.

Archived