(Archived) Evernote Clipper in Safari Mac Issue

MikeG

Hi -

I'm having issues with the web clipper in safari. i'm running the most current osx, and safari. i have downloaded the clipper as an extension.

essentially what happens is when i click on the web clipper, it always asks me to sign in each time (even though i always click the box to have it remember me). then when i clip a page or a portion of a page, it says that it's clipping, but it never actually shows up in evernote.

help! :)

Hi -

I'm having issues with the web clipper in safari. i'm running the most current osx, and safari. i have downloaded the clipper as an extension.

essentially what happens is when i click on the web clipper, it always asks me to sign in each time (even though i always click the box to have it remember me). then when i clip a page or a portion of a page, it says that it's clipping, but it never actually shows up in evernote.

help! :)

I have the same issue.

Can you check your 'Block cookies' setting in the Safari preferences 'Privacy' tab.

If you have that setting set to 'Always' block cookies - then you will have to login every time you clip. The other 2 options will keep you logged in.

Let me know if that helps.

(usually when you update Safari to a newer version the privacy settings will reset to a default value)

• 1 month later...

I experience this annoying issue as well.

Reinstalling is no help. Cookies are not the problem - the cookies exist and are healthy. Privacy settings are not the issue.

If you are not in 'Private Browsing' mode, a quick workaround is:

1. Quit Safari in a particular way - Do not 'Quit and Close All WIndows', but just 'Quit'
    -If your Lion 'System Preferences'/General/'Restore windows when quitting and restoring apps' is checked, Command-Q will provide a quick equivalent.
    -If your Lion 'System Preferences'/General/'Restore windows when quitting and restoring apps' is NOT checked, Option-Command-Q will provide an equivalent
  2. Reopen Safari and let all the previous windows open

The web clipper now functions as expected, for a time.

Same issue here. Safari 5.1.2 on OS X 10.7.2. Evernote 3.0.5. Clipper 1.0.1

It was working for a while. The only thing I can think is that I changed my password a few days after I first installed the clipper, maybe this has something to do with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I had the same problem and had tried the various fixes to no avail, and was taking non-appearance of clipped items in my desktop-based Evernote as the defining symptom of clipping not working. I re-installed the extension, re-started Safari &c.

However, I've just seen that extension-clipped items now appear in Evernote when it synchronises with the Evernote server. I hadn't anticipated that the extension would work that way. The lag until Evernote re-synchonises gives the impression that the clipper isn't working when, in fact, it's working fine.

Perhaps this is affecting others too?

This is normal behavior. The clipper should confirm that it's working by giving you a pop-up box confirming each clip after it goes through (usually between two and twenty seconds after clipping, for me). Do you not see the pop-up box?

On at least one other platform (I don't know which), you can set clippers to clip directly to the device-specific client. If you do that, the clip then only gets uploaded to your account (and the web client) when you sync, as is the case with notes you create in any client.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having exactly the same problems — I clip in Safari, nothing appears in the desktop app after several syncs, and then I have to re-logon in Safari to try again.

perterfmartin's solution works (thanks!) but only for a while. I've tried all the other solutions suggested, and they don't have any effect.

Checking the desktop app every few minutes after clipping is highly irritating!

Archived