(Archived) Applying Saved Searches to all notebooks

Meynstey

Idea

Just getting started using Evernote, and have run into a bit of problem in the application of Saved Searches. I've created a saved search for "all notes with files", and would like that to be applied to whatever notebook I am currently in (or select). As it stands, it only shows results for the notebook in which I originally created the search. When I view the search parameters in the Web version I see: "Match: Any filter resource:application/*". The original search I entered into the Mac client was simply "resource:application/*".

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

David W.

11 replies to this idea

Saved Searches always apply the same search and dont' take into account which notebook or tag you're currently in. You'd need to make a separate saved search for each notebook if you wanted to switch like that.

What type of setup do you have?

• Level 5*

Saved Searches always apply the same search and dont' take into account which notebook or tag you're currently in. You'd need to make a separate saved search for each notebook if you wanted to switch like that.

dlu, just to make sure I understand correctly, are you saying that when you run a Saved Search, the Search ignores/clears any/all Notebooks, tags, and other Search criteria that you have previously entered?

Apologies dlu, not understanding your question... can you please clarify?

But as I understand it, you're saying there's no way to used Saved Searches in a dynamic fashion. The search re-applies exactly the same set of parameters every time regardless of the current notebook, tag, or other filter. Correct?

I guess I had envisioned Saved Search basically just being a "shortcut" to manually entering search terms into the search box. So instead of having to type "created:day" or "resource:application/*" or "created:day-5 tag:evernote -Some Text Here" everytime I switch notebooks, I could simply select the tag or notebook and apply the saved search.

jefito... are you saying that in the Windows client, "notebook:% resource:application*" would provide this functionality?

So sounds like I'm out of luck on this... it's definitely a feature I think that would be useful. I rarely need searches run on just one notebook or against one tag. Typically, my most common searches are applied to multiple tags and multiple notebooks (eg. looking for notes with files or notes created today).

Thank you all for the assistance.

jefito... are you saying that in the Windows client, "notebook:% resource:application*" would provide this functionality?

I can't speak for Jeff. But I understood his comment to mean that in the Windows client, it's easy enough to modify the saved search (right click on it in the left pane) & change the notebook name.

I rarely need searches run on just one notebook or against one tag. Typically, my most common searches are applied to multiple tags and multiple notebooks (eg. looking for notes with files or notes created today).

I don't know why you think you are out of luck. It sounds like your searches are perfect for saved searches.

• Level 5*

I just meant that the search syntax allows you to add a notebook: or stack: search term, which you follow with a notebook or stack name, and which then forces the search to stay in that context. Very useful. I don't know whether other clients support this, but they should.

• Level 5*

It appears that you can ADD any search terms in the Search block AFTER you click on the Saved Search, and EN will ADD these terms to the current Search (but not change the Saved Search definition).

So it's like a Saved Search is a KB shortcut to entering Search terms, after which you can continue to add more terms.

This is VERY COOL, and it does work on the Mac. However, you are working in the dark on the Mac because the "Search Explanation" panel in EN Win is NOT available on EN Mac.

In fact, it's even worse on the Mac. I don't see any way to view/change the definition of an existing Saved Search on the Mac.

I hope I'm wrong about this. Anybody know how?

[...]In fact, it's even worse on the Mac. I don't see any way to view/change the definition of an existing Saved Search on the Mac. I hope I'm wrong about this. Anybody know how?

Unfortunately you are not wrong. I love Evernote, but I sometimes wonder if the Mac and Windows development teams think they are working on competing products.

But as I understand it, you're saying there's no way to used Saved Searches in a dynamic fashion. The search re-applies exactly the same set of parameters every time regardless of the current notebook, tag, or other filter. Correct?

Correct.

Archived