Capturing inspiration for blog posts

I love using Evernote for capturing inspiration for new blog posts. Ideas often come to me at the randomest times (in a work meeting, on the train, at the grocery store, while I'm driving). I jot down a sentence if I have my computer with me, or type it into my phone. If I'm driving, I use Evernote on my Android phone to record an audio note. I've actually recorded full-length blog posts while driving! I'll just tap the microphone when I open a new note and just talking away. It's quite therapeutic and come time to write, I have a bunch of ideas I can immediately start working with.

How do others capture inspiration for blogging?

I do the same thing as Michael. Jot down the idea in a note, maybe some additional thoughts. I tag the note to indicate it is a blog topic. And since I do a lot of blogging, I also have a Saved Search to easily pull up the list. One other thing I do. Once I write the post, I delete the note so that my list is list of unused ideas.

• 6 months later...

I tend to have a notebook for each type of subject that I would like to reference for blog posts and because I write on a number of different ones i categorize in the notebooks so that I can access this part in alphabetical order and then the actual notest themselves in any sort condition I want.

So for example, site (Call Loop), mobile resources, would look like CL-Mobile Resources.

And inside of there I would make a note for each resource that I have found that is big enough to expand into. Not sure if that is the best way but seems to work good for me, because I can tag just that tool because it is in its own note.

• 4 weeks later...

I tag them blog idea then tag them done too. I web clip a lot for blog ideas. Often o get inspired by ideas while reading others. I will clip, tn and make a few notes of my thought then save it.

And kasey I also use the audio recording A LOT while driving. Several times a week.

I often get inspired by quotes, images, and stories I find online via blogs and articles. I used to try to compile all of these photos and ideas on Google Reader by "starring" them. The only problem with this was that I had no convenient way of adding my own thoughts to these posts- they just kind of sat there until I found time to email them to myself or save them into Google Docs/MS Word to add on my own notes.

With Evernote, I clip photos via Web Clipper (LOVE the web clipper app), tag them "blog", and then add in a few quick notes. Then when I have a little more time on my hands, I can refer back to my Evernote and flesh out my ideas more that way. And like Michael, I tag them "posted" once down, so all my finished posts are nicely archived :)

I also recently started using Skitch, which lets you snap and edit pictures, so while I'm out exploring the city (and getting inspired, of course), I can easily snap a picture of whatever I want to document and then add in my notes and ideas from there once it hits my Evernote.

Needless to say, I've neglected my Google Reader.. some things just weren't meant to be :/

• Level 5*

I love using Evernote for capturing inspiration for new blog posts. Ideas often come to me at the randomest times (in a work meeting, on the train, at the grocery store, while I'm driving). I jot down a sentence if I have my computer with me, or type it into my phone. If I'm driving, I use Evernote on my Android phone to record an audio note. I've actually recorded full-length blog posts while driving! I'll just tap the microphone when I open a new note and just talking away. It's quite therapeutic and come time to write, I have a bunch of ideas I can immediately start working with.

How do others capture inspiration for blogging?

This isn't mine, but I like it. This person seems to have created a shared notebook full of ideas about how to help out after the disaster in Japan last year. It is pretty simple, concise, and to the point. This is often how great things (like Evernote!) get off the ground.

https://www.evernote...e9-3337b58172c0

I've collected some other shared notebooks that teachers and others have created to share ideas. I think the best way to generate ideas for stuff to write about is to share yours with others, and based on the feedback/discussions, develop it into something better. That creativity generated from social interactions is the kind of stuff that makes things write themselves :)

http://www.princeton...dnotebooks.html

Maybe a shared notebook of jottings could be the first step towards the blog post, which will itself generate all kinds of discussions.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like Evernote...but I've been trying to find out HOW you use it to blog. I think I'm missing a step...unless, of course you just copy and paste it to your blog. Except with Blogger, it wouldn't let me just include the picture. It needs to be uploaded separately.

From your posts, here, it sounds like you have found a simple way to compose your blog posts .

I can see there's an option to send to Facebook, Twitter, and Email.

If anyone has suggestions on how to do that, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived