Evernote for Sailing / Boating

Anyone who has a boat can tell you, there are a *lot* of moving parts involved. Engines. GPS. Radar. Pumps. Random switches and nozzles and other various doohickeys.

Keeping it all straight is a job in itself!

To go with all of these doo-dads is a *massive* amount of paperwork. The engine has a manual. The steering wheel has a manual. The *teak oil* has its own manual. When you're wandering aimlessly around West Marine for the twentieth time in a weekend trying to remember exactly what type of oil your particular model of diesel engine takes, it can get frustrating.

Not so with Evernote! Scan all those papers in! With a Premium account, all those previously indecipherable schematics become searchable, and instead of flipping through pages upon pages of documentation, you can simply search for "oil" and you'll find the right note. Tag it, and organize it however makes the most sense to you.

And, of course don't forget to scan in that all important coast guard registration information. I can't tell you how many times the Coast Guard/Immigration has been impressed to see us pop it up from our iPad for them right away so they could start copying the relevant info as we went to retrieve the original.

Once you've gotten all those in, you can surf the web and start clipping in information about marinas and the nearby towns you plan to check out, get your charts saved, put in a section for those knots you just can't get around to memorizing - whatever you want.

While underway, you can keep your running log right in Evernote. Whenever you have internet, it will sync up to our servers, and you won't need to worry about your logbook getting waterlogged and having to copy it over into yet *another* notebook.

Any other sailors or boaters have other ways they use Evernote to make their life on the water easier?

• 4 weeks later...

o0o0o, that's a good one:

Pictures of all of your boating services business cards and letterheads. Whenever you get service done, or foresee the use of someone, snap a shot of the business card, letterhead, magazine ad, or signage, along with a note on what you used them for or will use them for.

I have so many boat cards, I lose track of them soon after people hand them to me. I'm so bad, I should snap them into Evernote, I just forget :)

I have a history of this, though...

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5

Anyone who has a boat can tell you, there are a *lot* of moving parts involved. Engines. GPS. Radar. Pumps. Random switches and nozzles and other various doohickeys.

Keeping it all straight is a job in itself!

Including your bank account and all the maintenance bills. Those per-hour labor charges add up fast.

And from http://www.cruisersf...tml#post887362:

Re: Keeping a Boat Log

"I use evernote and skitch for hand sketching. All the benefits of paper plus auto sync across all devices and the cloud.

I use wiki syntax so i can cut and paste it into our wiki where it autoformats and is our non cloud master.

Evernote now lets you take photos into the notes."

Including your bank account and all the maintenance bills. Those per-hour labor charges add up fast.

Every Boat owner can tell you that B.O.A.T means "Break Out Another Thousand".

• 1 year later...

Hope it is ok to revive an old thread. Your ideas helped me with a boating log. I used Everlog to create a boat log template that feeds directly into Evernote which makes a great searchable database of travels. You can use Everlog also for fuel log, expense logs, etc. I have no financial interest in the program but was frustrated when another boat log app for the iphone lost 2 yrs of my data with a recent 'upgrade'. I have played with KustomNote also but the Everlog app creates a nicer looking note in Evernote.

Archived