Wrangling recipes

Brandie

Hello all! I was busy reading thru magazines the other night. Then it dawned on me that all those recipes I want to try don't need to be ripped out! So, I took out my phone, opened Evernote and added a photo note for each recipe. I put them all in a notebook I call "Recipes To Try". After I try them, (and if they are worth keeping) they are moved to the "Recipes" notebook.

How do you manage recipes you'd like to try, or want to keep?

I add a checkbox followed by "Try this" followed by a horizontal line at the top of the recipe.

When I do try it I add any appropriate changes to ingredients/instructions to the note and finally my opinion of the recipe with any notes about things to do differently next time (e.g. more/less liquid, etc.)

If the recipe is a real keeper, then I merge my notes into the recipe text.

I have used Mastercook for about 20 years & still enjoy it & use it as my main electronic source of recipes. But I like having a backup (b/c as OC as I am, I just know someday, there's a chance I won't be able to use it any longer.) So the really favorite recipes are also added to Evernote. I also have a "recipes to try" tag for the recipes I, uh, want to try. icon_wink.gif When I try them, I remove that tag & make a note whether we enjoyed it or not. BTW, I love cookbooks & have several hundred of them. When I use a recipe from a cookbook, I write notes that I tried it & what we thought of it. Sometimes, those don't always get added to Mastercook (time constraints.) One thing I want to do going forward, is to scan/photograph the recipe from the cookbook & add it to Evernote. First, that should make it easier to find a recipe, if I don't remember which cookbook it's from. Second, if the cookbook gets lost or damaged, I still have the recipe.

Update: This is my initial workflow for saving favorite recipes from cookbooks into Evernote. As I said in my above post, I prefer to use Mastercook, since it's a true recipe app. However, I want to have a backup, in case I ever lose the ability to use Mastercook. Plus, adding recipes to Mastercook takes time, since you have to type the ingredients, quantities, directions, etc. So here's what I'm currently trying in order to at least get them into Evernote.

I scan a copy of the front cover & save that under the cookbook name followed by " - cover" to keep as a starting template. I then copy the cover page & add the scan of the recipe. The file name is now something like "The Savory Way - Black Bean Soup.pdf" The first page of the PDF is a scan of the cover. Subsequent pages are the recipe itself. I still keep a copy of the pdf on my hard drive just...in...case... but drop a copy into Evernote, too. By having the cookbook cover as the first page, I can quickly visually find recipes from a particular book, using the snippet view. Or I could isolate recipes from a particular book using:

intitle:"the savory way"

I also think maybe having the image of the front cover in Evernote, that it may be helpful if I want to pull the real cookbook from one of my many shelves, since it would remind me what it looks like. Ok, maybe that wouldn't happen. But since I really enjoy cookbooks, I do think it's fun to see the front cover. Now that I'm thinking of it, I may even start scanning the dust jackets...yeah...gonna do that.

I'm going to need to start sleeping less... icon_wink.gif (And more EN upload limits!)

For recipes I'm particularly interested in trying, I have a "Try this!" tag, but the recipe is not modified in any other way. Originally I got EN because I wanted a way to organize my recipes (have been using a paper system for years). I now have >1000 recipes in EN. I do have a fairly extensive list of tags set up, so I can flip through all recipes of a certain category. So many things might come up in a text search so that, for me, the tags are more specific.

I tag my recipes with main ingredients (beef, chicken, pasta, etc.), cooking method (braise, bake, fry, etc.), and cook time (quick or slow). This lets me easily find my recipes for quick fried chicken or slow beef stews.

i just started putting my recipes in and am tackling my cooking light magazines first. Whatever recipe i see that i might like in the magazine i actually go clip from the website. For others I'm either scanning with Canon p-150 or my phone. I still need to go back through and scan all the recipes i've pulled/marked out of books/magazines over the years.

I tag my recipes based on type (ie main dish, side, appetizer, etc) and search by ingredient. And then tag with "I've tried" and add any notes, ie easy, yummy, my daughter loved, what occasion i made it for, or any modifications. I also menu plan (with a "menu" tag) in evernote with a note link to each recipe and my weekly grocery list below the links.

my recipe related tags are nested for easy viewing:

Recipes

Menu
Rec_MainDish
Rec_App
Rec_Side
Rec_SlowCooker
Rec_Casserole
Rec_Ref (for any cooking related references I scan...measurement conversions, list of best cookbooks, etc)
Etc....

At this point, I have no idea how many recipes I've collected. As many there might be my hope is to compile a "cookbook" (digital via notebook) to share with family and added notes about ones I have used or why not or any other comments about it and why I clipped it. Some recipes I rather send to my "rip-proof" Kindle than print it out but...I print out some of them anyway...sometimes printing from EN so I can see it better and leave it posted on the cupboard door for use again and again.

As far as tags? I haven't bothered yet. I never figured I'd collected so many. *shrugs* Maybe I have another hobby coming up...adding tags?

Not sure how to do the "tags" thing...what's easiest way to learn? love this tool but still a bit overwhelmed learning how to put it to use.

Thanks,

my recipe related tags are nested for easy viewing:

Recipes

Menu

Rec_MainDish

Rec_App

Rec_Side

Rec_SlowCooker

Rec_Casserole

Rec_Ref (for any cooking related references I scan...measurement conversions, list of best cookbooks, etc)

Etc....

Hah....so far I haven't bothered. Just collecting everything I like is enough and later, when there is enough, a system that works for me to tag and categorize everything will show up. If I have a lot of one kind of recipes, that category is something that will need to be made. If there are enough tags, do we need categories? A guess a lot of ways to categorize stuff. Important tags might be the main ingredients.

I figured out the tags and the notebooks thing and am scouring my old email and pc files and getting my recipes in there.

Also figured out how to make myself a to do list in evernote and am learning all sorts of cool stuff.

This is a GREAT TOOL and you folks in the forum are SOOO helpful.

:rolleyes:

Tracey,

Think of tags like the dividers in a notebook. The notebook itself is your personal "cookbook", and the tags are the sub-categories.

That being said, I don't tag too often, as I use search a LOT. However, I've gotten to the point where the search results are pretty extensive. If I had to do it all over, I'd be better about tagging in the beginning. :D

Huge fan of tagging, and using of photos. I like photos because I can quickly scan through and know what I'm looking at.

Search is nice, but I tend to split my recipes into niche notebooks over excessive tagging, so I have a cooking notebook, a baking notebook, summer cookout, and so on.

I tend to tag based on the type of meal, casserole, cookies, comfort food, than ingredients, because that's usually how I decide what I want to make.

If I've collected a lot of recipes in a given week, I'll sort of merge the ingredients list into a shopping list so that I'm set for weak ahead.

I used to spend lots of time gathering recipes from the internet and then either printing to PDF or copying and pasting into Word. But I didn't find that to be the best solution because searching was slow, and I had to switch between two different apps. Now, I use the web clipper and save to a "Recipes" notebook. I have tags for general categories like "desserts", "bread", "appetizers", etc. I also have a tag that is "Our Favorites" so I can easily find the ones that we've tried and liked enough to make again.

I have 2 EN Notebooks for Recipes, one for Baking, the other for Cooking. Both are organized under another Noebook, Recipe Box. I use them to clip recipes from the web and also to store family favorites from cookbooks and recipe cards. I like the idea of taking photos of the cookbooks they come from. I'll use that idea now. I'll also take photos of recipes written by hand from my mother and mother-in-law. I tag the recipes with main ingredients and category. Also from whom it came.

Using EN allows me to share recipes easily with my friends and family. When someone asks for the recipe I just mail it to them from EN.

I have 1007 recipes in my evernote cookbook, "A Moveable Feast." I include tags, pictures and links to recipes I find online, or make myself. I've made it publicly available and a lot of my friends and clients use it as well. You all can get to it here. Enjoy!

Lauren, wow... your photos are very enticing! You've done a great job. I think I'll be visiting your shared notebook every now & again! Thanks for sharing this!

I have one notebook called Food & Nutrition, which includes recipes with tags like courses like "dessert" and "pasta" and foods like "chicken" and "chocolate." I also have articles on cooking as well as my notes on best ingredients to buy here. It occurs to me that my next best step would be to scan my recipes on index cards!

I have 1007 recipes in my evernote cookbook, "A Moveable Feast." I include tags, pictures and links to recipes I find online, or make myself. I've made it publicly available and a lot of my friends and clients use it as well. You all can get to it here. Enjoy!

Lauren, wow... your photos are very enticing! You've done a great job. I think I'll be visiting your shared notebook every now & again! Thanks for sharing this!

Ditto. Linked. Thanks.

I love using Evernote to collect recipes. No matter where I come across a recipe, I can send it to Evernote. In a library book? Take a picture. On a discussion group or a mailing list? Forward to Evernote e-mail address with subject line filing and tagging. On the web? Evernote bookmarklet.

I don't do a lot of tagging, just minimal. I can make notes as to substitutions or changes made as I go along. No matter where I am, I can look up a recipe. I cook for multiple allergies, and can quickly tag whether a recipe is gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, etc. so that I can browse for something that works later on down the line.

I have lots of recipes on the computer in other formats, but Evernote is the first place that I look.

pdw

I currently have over 1100 recipes in a Recipes notebook, with tags for categories (maindish, side, appetizer, condiment, etc.), as well as for whether or not they are "meat" or "veg" (I'm vegetarian, hubby is not). Some recipes are tagged with both "meat" and "veg" if they can be adapted either way. I also have tags for "reference" as someone else mentioned above, for equivalencies, measurements, charts, tips, etc. Tags for "holiday" and "gift" also come in handy this time of year when I'm baking a lot for neighbors and co-workers. I clip a lot from the web, and hubby and I also scanned and dumped the hundreds and hundreds of pieces of paper I'd collected over the years, from hand-written recipes, those I'd printed from the web or torn out of magazines. In hindsight, I should have maybe created two notebooks, one for cooking and one for baking, although searching for tags makes it easy to find what I need.

I also add my own comments to each recipe, and copy/paste website comments that are helpful when clipping from the internet. One tag set I wish I had used early on is "weekday" or "quick," to find things to make after a long day at work.

One thing I need to figure out is a quick way to eliminate duplicates. I've found a few while looking for specific recipes, but I guess I had multiple print-outs of some recipes in my stacks.

I really don't tag recipes with the conventional "Chicken", "Salad", or "Cookie" tags because those words are usually in the recipe. I tag recipes with ratings, "1 out of 5", "2 out of 5", etc. Also, I do a lot of Christmas cookie baking, so I also tag them with a "Xmas 2011" tag so I remember which recipes I used in a particular year.

I have collected recipes from magazine for years and I love the way I can organize them all in Evernote. I usually search for the recipe online and clip it. To cut out all the extraneous links and pictures I usually clip from a print preview version. If I am unable to find a recipe, online I either scan with my HTC phone (particularly handy on the fly...say in the Dr.'s office!) or with my HP scanner. I save to a notebook by main recipe type: desert, main dish, salad, etc. and the notebooks are in my "Cookbook" stack. I tag by favorite ingredients, "must try" recipes, etc. I also have tags relating to what where I might like to share them: Church social, husband's birthday, etc. When I make the recipe I will take a picture of the finished product (especially if the recipe has no accompanying photo), make notes of any substitutions I might make, when I made it and where i took it if it was for pot luck and such. A recipe gets a "Tried and true" tag if I like it.

I use Evenote to keep an ongoing shopping list but if I decide to make something on the spur of the moment, it is great to have all my recipes along when I am shopping.

Many time friends will ask me for the recipe of things I take to share with others. I love to share by sending a quick link to my notes for them to view.

I have also created a shared notebook of recipes to share with my extended family. I have gotten some great recipes that way.

Since I sew, quilt, knit and crochet, I also keep directions for my projects in much the same way.

Lauren - Great recipe notebook! I notice that I can search your recipes by tags...

The only tags showing in your shared notebook relate to recipes - does this mean that shared notebooks only show tags which appear in that particular notebook? (In other words, I'm not seeing any other personal tags so EITHER this is your only use for Evernote OR the shared notebook will only present tags which have been used for that particular notebook).

Hope that wasn't TOO confusing!!

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to figure out how to begin to use Evernote as my main recipe storage answer. When you say you make notes about changes in ingredients, etc., how do you do that? I can't figure out how to easily make a comment in a note. Seems stupid, I know.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Fellow Foodies:

A few years ago I went through a "collecting recipes thing" -- did some research about chossing the best software in which to store all my treasures, and wound up using a program called AccuChef (mostly because of the slick Wizard it had for copying recipes from websites).

Anyway, I've since become an avid Evernote user, and now my wife has decided she wants to move HER recipes -- a collection of 3x5 cards, scribbled on scraps of paper inherited from her Mom and Nana, copied/pasted websites laser-printed 8 1/2 x 11's, etc. into digital recipe storage.

Her first digitizing priority at this point is the assimilation of her "family recipes" = handwritten 3x5s and paper scraps -- she's prepared to type them in from scratch.

Questions: ---------------------------

1) Has anyone had any experience moving their recipe collection back and/or forth to/from Evernote and any of the many recipe programs available?

2) Many of the recipe programs out there automatically deal with fractions typed in as "2 1/2 C." or "3 1/4 T." rather than "2.5" or "3.25". Does anyone have any thoughts about a "standard" to adopt to minimize confusion and maybe ease sharing and/or moving recipes to different software?

3) My wife does not as yet have any experience with Evernote. I'm thinking that I might set up a "recipe template" to help her keep things organized while she's typing.

E.g.

Recipe Title:

# Served:

Description:

Ingredients:

Instructions (stepbystep):

Info:

...any thoughts?

Thank you for any thoughts and conversation!

Jim,

Bristol, Maine USA

• 1 month later...

Along the lines of Shepherd Jim's questions...

When scanning in 3X5 cards, handwritten scraps, would you suggest using pdf setting on scanner OR as a jpg. A pdf requires an additional click to see the recipe, but I'm also wondering about the ability to search in the recipe if using jpg.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

i was trying to organize my recipe in evernote (they come from website, magazines, books, handwritten notes, transcription and so...)

using tags categorization is not a problem, my main concern is about coherence; i need (and i want of course) all my recipe looking the same. Same font, same sequence (servings/background details/ingridients even divided in various part as main and fillings/photos if presents/directions/personal notes) and this is a real pain to do! especially with clipped recipe, they are totally messed up when i try to hand edit them, HTML from clipped website makes line break inconsistent for example...

any suggestion? do you keep recipe as they are? do you "rewrite" them? do you fix them once clipped? any way to "remove" all HTML from clipped pages?

thank you!

Hello all,

i was trying to organize my recipe in evernote (they come from website, magazines, books, handwritten notes, transcription and so...)

using tags categorization is not a problem, my main concern is about coherence; i need (and i want of course) all my recipe looking the same. Same font, same sequence (servings/background details/ingridients even divided in various part as main and fillings/photos if presents/directions/personal notes) and this is a real pain to do! especially with clipped recipe, they are totally messed up when i try to hand edit them, HTML from clipped website makes line break inconsistent for example...

any suggestion? do you keep recipe as they are? do you "rewrite" them? do you fix them once clipped? any way to "remove" all HTML from clipped pages?

thank you!

When I need to remove formatting from text, I paste it into Notepad which does not support html. Then I copy and paste the text out of that notepad document.

When I need to remove formatting from text, I paste it into Notepad which does not support html. Then I copy and paste the text out of that notepad document.

I do the same with Notational Velocity or FormatMatch (both Mac-only).

• 1 month later...

Am amazed by Laurens collection. I am new to evernote, have saved some notes, but really don't understand how to create an organized recipe collection. IE i have lots of recipes on word docs & emails, no pics, but not sure how to get a recipe collection started in evernote with tags etc. Am on a mac & don't see the screen shot option or the other options when I researched how to send to evernote. Am looking for the best way re time to send recipes to evernote, so any help or helpful links would be appreciated, thanks!

Am amazed by Laurens collection. I am new to evernote, have saved some notes, but really don't understand how to create an organized recipe collection. IE i have lots of recipes on word docs & emails, no pics, but not sure how to get a recipe collection started in evernote with tags etc. Am on a mac & don't see the screen shot option or the other options when I researched how to send to evernote. Am looking for the best way re time to send recipes to evernote, so any help or helpful links would be appreciated, thanks!

Are all your recipes in one folder on your computer? Or in several organized folders (dessert, beverages, etc.)? If so Evernote can import all the files in a folder. In the Windows version this is located under "Tools" and is called "Import Folders" Evernote can be set to import any folder you chose and will continue to monitor that folder if you want.

If all the files are in one big folder, you may wish to go through them after, Evernote imports them and add tags indicating what type of recipe they are.

I just finished importing my recipe collection into EN. Wow, I didn't know I have 9235 unique recipes. Mind you, I am a culinary student, but I've been collecting recipes for 18 years, and modifying them (including pet treat ones lol).

I actually imported alll the recipes into a spreadsheet, one recipe per row.. it screws up the formatting slightly, but not enough to make the recipe unusable. Then, I sort the rows alphabetically. Afterwards, I use a formula that I drag down the second column that returns a "1" for a duplicate in the next row or a "0" for unique. I can then copy/paste just the numbers and sort out the "1"s and delete any duplicates. I was able to bring my list from a mega 20,000 to this more reasonable number.

If I find I need more sophistacted handling of my recipes, I use more specific tools. Gourmet works well on Linux and somewhat good on Windows, outside of the lack of an ability to print yet, it allows me to import mastercook files and convert my recipe sizes and returns the results in decimal format which is handy when using a digital scale in the kitchen that doesn't use fractions. For printing and pretty formatting, I use BigOven. It uses fractions, even during conversion (frustrating, for me anyway) but it allows me to print, it can import other cooking app files and I can create my own template for my recipe collection. I'll most likely use these tools alongside EN since they do serve my needs, or at least I figure out how to write an addon for EN that would let me convert my recipes and import other recipe file databases within the program.

EN is a wonderful, wonderful program. I can finally actually work and be creative without digital clutter. So awesome :)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! That's quite a collection! I like how you're using Evernote in conjuction with other programs. I wonder, did you already have all your recipes in a spreadsheet, or did you do that just to get them into EN?

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am new to all this and I'm having a real problem trying to organise my recipes. I have downloaded "A Moveable Feast" and it shows as a joined notebook. My problem is that it has not copied any of the tags, so I now have all these wonderful recipes that have only got the date that they were created. Is there any way That I can get the tags? Please let me know if you can help, or even if you can point me in the direction of a "Evernote Food for Dummies.

Regards

Grace

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, I've also been using EN with great success to organize my recipes. I like to take photos of cookbook and handwritten recipes and add them to my searchable recipe notebook with tags. I haven't been able to find another way to digitally save, organize and search recipes from paper books along with my clipped web recipes, so this is working great... unless somebody knows of another program that does both? The only problem is that after I uploaded about 30 recipes as photos from my paper cookbooks, EN informed me that I was out of space/reached my upload limit for the month.  Is the only way around this to buy the premium version? If anyone else has purchased the premium version, could you ever conceivably run out of space? I'm a professional personal chef, so I may need to upload around 100 recipes a month to my library in the form of photos.  A lot of the best recipes are found in actual cookbooks, and you can't find all of those recipes online.

Any suggestions/insight would be much appreciated!

Hi, I've also been using EN with great success to organize my recipes. I like to take photos of cookbook and handwritten recipes and add them to my searchable recipe notebook with tags. I haven't been able to find another way to digitally save, organize and search recipes from paper books along with my clipped web recipes, so this is working great... unless somebody knows of another program that does both? The only problem is that after I uploaded about 30 recipes as photos from my paper cookbooks, EN informed me that I was out of space/reached my upload limit for the month.  Is the only way around this to buy the premium version? If anyone else has purchased the premium version, could you ever conceivably run out of space? I'm a professional personal chef, so I may need to upload around 100 recipes a month to my library in the form of photos.  A lot of the best recipes are found in actual cookbooks, and you can't find all of those recipes online.

I'm surprised to hear 30 photos put you over your limit. I'm guessing the size of the photos must have been really BIG. 

When I converted my recipes from pulled magazine pages to documents for Evernote, I used a scanner and had them saved as PDF files. My scanner also converted the images in them to readable text so I can copy and paste out of them (handy for making shopping lists). I think you might be wise to consider switching to scanning recipes over taking photos of them and see how that goes. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised to hear 30 photos put you over your limit. I'm guessing the size of the photos must have been really BIG. 

When I converted my recipes from pulled magazine pages to documents for Evernote, I used a scanner and had them saved as PDF files. My scanner also converted the images in them to readable text so I can copy and paste out of them (handy for making shopping lists). I think you might be wise to consider switching to scanning recipes over taking photos of them and see how that goes. 

Candice, thank you so much!  I don't have a scanner, but it may be worthwhile to get one.  The photos I take with my phone are about 10-12 MB and you only get 60 MB of free space per month on EN. I tried converting my jpg photos taken with my iphone to pdf's, but it only saved about 1MB per photo.  I still may end up going premium since you get 1 GB per month/1024 MB's, but I would love to figure out an alternative if possible. I just downloaded an iphone app called Tiny Scan PDF Scanner and it seems to be working. I took a photo through the free app, then I emailed it to myself from the app, then I saved the pdf in a folder I created on my regular computer.  When I right click on the file, there is a “send to” option and I chose Evernote, which uploaded the file to EN.  The two page color recipe that I “scanned” was only 283kb, so that’s a HUGE improvement!  Now I just need to find out if I can upload in batches, and decide if it’s too much trouble to email each file to myself and save them individually.  If I find a way to email multiple files at a time from the app, and/or send multiple files at a time to EN I will update this post.  Thank again J  

Candice, thank you so much!  I don't have a scanner, but it may be worthwhile to get one.  The photos I take with my phone are about 10-12 MB and you only get 60 MB of free space per month on EN. I tried converting my jpg photos taken with my iphone to pdf's, but it only saved about 1MB per photo.  I still may end up going premium since you get 1 GB per month/1024 MB's, but I would love to figure out an alternative if possible. I just downloaded an iphone app called Tiny Scan PDF Scanner and it seems to be working. I took a photo through the free app, then I emailed it to myself from the app, then I saved the pdf in a folder I created on my regular computer.  When I right click on the file, there is a “send to” option and I chose Evernote, which uploaded the file to EN.  The two page color recipe that I “scanned” was only 283kb, so that’s a HUGE improvement!  Now I just need to find out if I can upload in batches, and decide if it’s too much trouble to email each file to myself and save them individually.  If I find a way to email multiple files at a time from the app, and/or send multiple files at a time to EN I will update this post.  Thank again J  

One more thought. I don't know if this is available in Apple but in Android the widget has a "page scanner" which takes photos of print materials and makes them documents, you can take multiple photos. 

• 1 year later...

I've just started using Evernote as a recipe book as well. I already had one online with a Dutch service, but it required typing out recipes I found elsewhere on the web or in cookbooks, and I was just tired of doing that. My collection of magazines and ripped-out recipes is slowly shrinking as I find the recipes online and clip them. I don't mind the recipes looking different, as long as there is not too much ***** surrounding it (EN Clearly sometimes takes away valuable information, so I have to clip the entire article).

I have 121 recipes in my cookbook-notebook now (which is nothing compared to others, but hey, I'm just starting :P). My tags include course (main, dessert etc), way of cooking (oven etc.), type of meal (salad or soup for example, but also vegetarian, pasta or rice). I'm also adding a quick or slow tag. Other than pasta and rice, I do not tag main ingredients because they are in the ingredient list already, so I can quite easily find them. Perhaps I'll regret that later, when I have more recipes, but I can always go back and change my tagging (I'm ignoring the fact that it would take a lot of time). 

Oh, and I might split my cookbook in two for recipes to try and recipes we already love. Or I might start using tags for that as well.

I am planning to make weekly meal plans using note links. I have a separate grocery list in EN that I keep updating, so I can have the mealplan on the computer and the grocery list on my phone and easily add stuff. Or just copy-paste.

Archived