Feature Request: Sync Immediately

spacebear

Hi there,

I think this has been covered somewhere else before, but I just wanted to say this:

I would greatly appreciate some kind of "immediate sync" implementation similar to the iPhone app. (Which, for all non-mobile users, syncs as soon as you exit from note-editing mode.)

I could imagine the desktop version syncing as soon as one of the following conditions apply:

• not entering anything into the note window for a couple seconds
  • switching from one note to another
  • closing/minimizing the EN window (or the client altogether)

This would make my life a lot easier because I wouldn't have to worry about unsynced notes anymore.

I think this has to be made optionally due to upload allowances being relevant for people with big notes etc. (but even then - if EN's upload allowance is calculated intelligently (which I believe is the case) it wouldn't make too big of an impact if you, say, had a note with big attachments and you just change a bit of text in it).

The latest beta which at least asks you before exiting if you have unsynced notes is definitely a step in the right direction, but I'm hoping that the whole syncing process will be made easier in the future.

(By the way, when will 4.5.2 be released? Last thread post about this is 2 weeks ago...)

Thanks for taking notice and all the best!

Al

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you often have unsync'd notes come up? We save locally pretty much immediately, I'm curious to see how often the gap between saving and sync'ing causes issues.

We'll have an update for 4.5.2 soon!

Hello,

I'd like to support spacebear's suggestion of an immediate sync after notes creation or change on the EN Wndows client. Like on the IOS client a (maybe optional) sync after the changed notes is closed would be very helpful.

My use case is the following:

In the evening I often process my notes on my WIndows client :

- delete some tasks which are finished

- doing some research in the internet and adding content to EN with the clipper

- snipping texts from documents as relevant infomation for the next day

After all, shut down my computer and end my work - often already time to sleep.

Normally I forget to do a manual sync of EN before shutting down the computer, because it's late and I have many open applications.

I have set an automatic sync every 15min, which is the most frequent period I can set.

However, on the next day, when I need the information on my other clients (IOS, other windows computer), it happens quite often, that I found some notes not available. The reason is, they had not yet been automatically synced.

This could be solved by an automatic immediate sync as described above.

Thanks to Evernote for their excellent work.

Regards,

butty

• Level 5*

One problem with this is if you put your computer in hibernation/standby mode instead of shutting it down, it doesn't trigger the sync on exit. Also, if you do a shutdown without closing EN (including the clipper) does the sync trigger? Certainly if you are impatient to get to bed and force the shutdown (no warning note comes up about EN specifically), the sync either does not get triggered or is aborted. While I probably would not use it all the time, I can see an automatic sync would be useful.

OTOH, if your work flow is to work in Evernote, not exit Evernote (which would trigger the sync on exit) and immediately hibernate (which would not trigger an auto sync), then you just add "sync Evernote before hibernating" to your work flow. I mean, really.

• Level 5*

HI BNF! I understand exactly what you mean - I was just trying to clarify how it might be a problem. The bigger problem right now is that I am not getting time during the day at work to edit the notes I saved to my desktop version at home, so it doesn't really matter (it's nice to be busy, and get paid for it!). The lack of synchronization is just me being lazy! No worries for me.

Thanks all for your replies!

My workflow is similar to butty's, because I usually just fire up EN, throw in some information and then immediately close the EN window again. So from time to time notes won't get synced at all. This happens especially often when I'm editing notes just before shutting down the computer.

I think being able to set a higher sync frequency (at least higher then after 15 minutes) might help as well.

Just to be clear - I'm not considering this a vital problem, just a minor annoyance.

The F9 function key triggers a sync too. I have added hitting it after any note additions and edits into my workflow to prevent the same problem you are having. It is a lot easier than reaching for the mouse or touchpad.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, understand, immediate sync will more quickly use up your upload limit. IE, you add a 30 MB PDF & it get's sync'd. There goes 30 mg. A couple of minutes later, you change the title or add a line to the note & boom, now you've used up 60 MB.

Also, understand, immediate sync will more quickly use up your upload limit. IE, you add a 30 MB PDF & it get's sync'd. There goes 30 mg. A couple of minutes later, you change the title or add a line to the note & boom, now you've used up 60 MB.

BurgersNFries, that's what I was talking about when I was saying

if EN's upload allowance is calculated intelligently (which I believe is the case) it wouldn't make too big of an impact if you, say, had a note with big attachments and you just change a bit of text in it

This principle is used in Dropbox, those guys explain it pretty well over there.

I don't know if EN works like this, but if it does, immediate syncing wouldn't make too big of an impact on one's upload limit.

BurgersNFries, that's what I was talking about when I was saying

if EN's upload allowance is calculated intelligently (which I believe is the case) it wouldn't make too big of an impact if you, say, had a note with big attachments and you just change a bit of text in it

This principle is used in Dropbox, those guys explain it pretty well over there.

I don't know if EN works like this, but if it does, immediate syncing wouldn't make too big of an impact on one's upload limit.

EN does not work like Dropbox. EN works the way I described it. Dropbox deals with entire files & can do block updates EN has to evaluate each record to determine what needs to be changed, add GUIDs (for note links), do OCR'ing, etc & create conflicting notes, if necessary.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you often have unsync'd notes come up? We save locally pretty much immediately, I'm curious to see how often the gap between saving and sync'ing causes issues.

We'll have an update for 4.5.2 soon!

I'd really like to switch to EN from Simplenote due to the added functionality, however this is one of the reasons I haven't. If I open ResophNotes (Simplenote windows program) and type in a note and hit escape to exit, the note is synced immediately. I love this simplistic feature of telling the program to sync automatically when closing (minimizing it). This is great if I need to have some information with me, and is much faster than emailng and it will always sync immediately after I exit.

• Level 5*
I love this simplistic feature of telling the program to sync automatically when closing (minimizing it). This is great if I need to have some information with me, and is much faster than emailng and it will always sync immediately after I exit.

Doens't this...

EN Windows 4.5.2 includes a new feature to prompt for sync on exit if required (unsynced notes pending).

...do what you want?

I love this simplistic feature of telling the program to sync automatically when closing (minimizing it). This is great if I need to have some information with me, and is much faster than emailng and it will always sync immediately after I exit.

Doens't this...

EN Windows 4.5.2 includes a new feature to prompt for sync on exit if required (unsynced notes pending).

...do what you want?

No it doesn't appear to work. I made a new post outlining the features I want. Maybe I don't understand the option but I would imagine it should immediately sync my notes when I close the program (but don't quit the program).

Edit: It appears that pressing Control+Q does force the sync, however now Evernote is closed and the program needs to be relaunched for the Global Hotkeys to work. This only works for the program itself, it will not sync new notes via Ctrl+Alt+N after being created unless I load Evernote then press Control+Q to completely quit the program.

F9 is the hotkey to force manual sync during a session.

Thanks I saw that as well. I guess I could put together something with AHK that would essentially accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish, or just stick with ResophNotes for the time being.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Hello,

I'd like to support spacebear's suggestion of an immediate sync after notes creation or change on the EN Wndows client. Like on the IOS client a (maybe optional) sync after the changed notes is closed would be very helpful.

I've long thought this should be a feature, at least for Premium users.

• 6 months later...

Bump!

This is the only issue I have with Evernote. It had me try premium, looking for alternatives, searching regedit to lower the 15min limit (unsucessfully) and of course searching here.

I usually hibernate my computer instead of shutting down, and sometimes make lists of what to do before hitting town. Then I can't access them on my phone because they weren't synced. If I add something to an existing list I get a conflict, or sometimes it's just overwritten.

I would like this to be added (optionally) and I think it should sync when a note loses focus, after saving it locally.

I don't want to be prompted (which doesn't work on hibernation anyway) or change my workflow. My software of choice is intuitive and doesn't require me to adapt.

Another "me too" here. The whole point of a cloud-based system for me is that I don't have to think about anything. I should be able to fire up the client and add a note. I should then be able to launch another client (on the phone, say) and see that note I just added, in the state it was in on the other client. Having to remember to sync is an extra step in the workflow. I'd actually be willing to accept that extra step, except that EN behaves completely differently on multiple clients. I find this really confusing.

On the iPhone, it will sync as soon as you finish editing. No need for manual sync.

On the Mac client, it lets you sync as frequently as 5 minutes. Less need for manual sync.

On the Windows client, it lets you sync as frequently as 15 minutes. More likely a need for manual sync, as a lot could happen to a note in 15 minutes.

At the very least, the ability to sync every 5 minutes on the Windows client might help. (Why Mac & Windows have different options here is a mystery to me.) Often I'll have EN open on the Mac, adding some notes, and then realize I need a screenshot from the PC. I then need to tell EN on the Mac to sync, and the go tell Windows to sync, just to make sure all the data is there before I add to it. It would be a lot smoother and more convenient if it did this automatically.

• Level 5*

I understand there are bandwidth and server resource considerations, but this is a feature that should be a given for Premium users. It should work just like the mobile client, which is always up to date.

• 5 months later...

Bump again! I've had several instances when I created a note on my computer, only to find later that it wasn't sync'd and I couldn't access it from my phone. In order to truly realize the 'cloud' concept, everything I do should immediately be mirrored in the cloud, otherwise it breaks the illusion when you have to manually save files, and then sync them, before they're really saved. 

If the bandwidth is a concern for files with attachments, there could be an option like "only live-sync files smaller than X" - most of the time I'm just adding text notes, so I'm not the slightest bit concerned if they sync 50 times a day, they won't add up to anything significant; but I want them in the cloud as soon as I save them, every time I save them.

Yes, I can hit some hotkeys or click the sync button before I close my computer; but then, I could also just save Word documents & email them to myself. The whole point is simplicity & ease of use. A live-sync option is definitely needed to truly accomplish that.

Bump again! I've had several instances when I created a note on my computer, only to find later that it wasn't sync'd and I couldn't access it from my phone. In order to truly realize the 'cloud' concept, everything I do should immediately be mirrored in the cloud, otherwise it breaks the illusion when you have to manually save files, and then sync them, before they're really saved. 

If the bandwidth is a concern for files with attachments, there could be an option like "only live-sync files smaller than X" - most of the time I'm just adding text notes, so I'm not the slightest bit concerned if they sync 50 times a day, they won't add up to anything significant; but I want them in the cloud as soon as I save them, every time I save them.

Yes, I can hit some hotkeys or click the sync button before I close my computer; but then, I could also just save Word documents & email them to myself. The whole point is simplicity & ease of use. A live-sync option is definitely needed to truly accomplish that.

Since EN uses an upload limit (as opposed to 'what's living on our server at the time'), the upload immediately does not make sense, IMO.  You can auto sync, if you choose.  Or sync upon exit.  But I know often I don't want to have a note immediately sync'd to the servers b/c I'm still working on it & don't want to use up two, three, four (or even more) times the upload limit b/c it's uploading each/every time I make a change.

• Level 5*

Since EN uses an upload limit (as opposed to 'what's living on our server at the time'), the upload immediately does not make sense, IMO.  You can auto sync, if you choose.  Or sync upon exit.  But I know often I don't want to have a note immediately sync'd to the servers b/c I'm still working on it & don't want to use up two, three, four (or even more) times the upload limit b/c it's uploading each/every time I make a change.

It is pretty simple. Evernote already does this on mobile devices. When you close the note on a mobile device, it is saved, and uploaded. Just use the same principle on the desktop. Move to another note and this one is saved, push it up. If you stay in the note and EN doesn't know when it is finished, then just hit it at the 15min interval, or whatever you have set in preferences.

I too have had to open my laptop up and force a sync to get those last 2-3 notes I was working on to be available on my devices everywhere way too often. A cloud service shouldn't be that manual.

If the bandwidth for EN is higher because of this with the extra authentications, then make it a Preimium and Business feature.

To your point about data usage, I am not sure EN uploads changes to notes in their entirety with respect to attachments. I've seen 9-10MB notes sync almost instantly when I am just updating tags or the title. I've not done a big test on the body to see if the same holds true. - Actually, just did a test. Picked a 30MB note and added a word to the body of the note. It sync'd in less than 5 seconds, so only the note body gets pushed up again. The attachment, which didn't change, didn't get uploaded again - so no problems with personal bandwidth limitations.

I doubt anyone is really editing notes with a body of multiple MB - it is the attachments that cause those sizes, unless someone is writing a novel in an Evernote Note, and if they are doing that, I'd question their sanity.

This is a perfectly valid request that has been out there for a year or two. I wish EN would bring EN for Windows up to the same level of syncedness as the iOS and other mobile clients, at least for premium users.

I think the main issue that people want fixed is not uploading immediately, just changing the functionality for how syncing on close works.  All I'm asking for is the ability to type a note, then hit escape once to go out of the note and escape one more time to "close" Evernote.  Essentially, in order to use the sync on exit tool, you have to close Evernote which then prevents it from opening again quickly via the hotkey.  I believe what most people are asking for is that when you hit the "X" in the top right corner to close Evernote (or via a hotkey such as the Escape key) Evernote will close to the system tray (not exit completely) and initiate a sync.

We're not talking about MB of data here (at least I'm not); we're talking about small notes with very little data. For instance, all of the text on this page (page 2 of this thread) up to this point is a total of 12KB (and this is a LOT longer than most of my notes). That means if it auto-saved the entire page 10 times, it would use 120KB of my monthly quota; 85 saves would add up to 1MB; and it would take more than 5,000 saves before I hit the free account limit (sounds like those 80s cereal commercials: "How many bowls..."). To reach the premium account limit would take 87,000 saves. Most of my notes are closer to 2 or 4KB, and even at 4KB, I'd have 15,000 free saves, or, wait for it, 262,000 premium saves. So, I'm really not worried about my bandwidth quota. And as others have said, it wouldn't have to sync after every letter or word I type - just when I save or close a note, rather than just when I quit out of the entire application. It's just how cloud applications should work – I shouldn't even have to think about 'syncing' – save a file (or close the note if that's when you want it), and it should automatically be saved to my cloud account.

And we're asking for a new feature that a lot of us would find immensely useful, and nobody else would be forced to use. It's not like it's going to drain your quota if you don't want to use it.

We're not talking about MB of data here (at least I'm not); we're talking about small notes with very little data. For instance, all of the text on this page (page 2 of this thread) up to this point is a total of 12KB (and this is a LOT longer than most of my notes). That means if it auto-saved the entire page 10 times, it would use 120KB of my monthly quota; 85 saves would add up to 1MB; and it would take more than 5,000 saves before I hit the free account limit (sounds like those 80s cereal commercials: "How many bowls..."). To reach the premium account limit would take 87,000 saves. Most of my notes are closer to 2 or 4KB, and even at 4KB, I'd have 15,000 free saves, or, wait for it, 262,000 premium saves. So, I'm really not worried about my bandwidth quota. And as others have said, it wouldn't have to sync after every letter or word I type - just when I save or close a note, rather than just when I quit out of the entire application. It's just how cloud applications should work – I shouldn't even have to think about 'syncing' – save a file (or close the note if that's when you want it), and it should automatically be saved to my cloud account.

And we're asking for a new feature that a lot of us would find immensely useful, and nobody else would be forced to use. It's not like it's going to drain your quota if you don't want to use it.

I think the main issue that people want fixed is not uploading immediately, just changing the functionality for how syncing on close works.  All I'm asking for is the ability to type a note, then hit escape once to go out of the note and escape one more time to "close" Evernote.  Essentially, in order to use the sync on exit tool, you have to close Evernote which then prevents it from opening again quickly via the hotkey.  I believe what most people are asking for is that when you hit the "X" in the top right corner to close Evernote (or via a hotkey such as the Escape key) Evernote will close to the system tray (not exit completely) and initiate a sync.

So...what's wrong with F9 (the hotkey to sync)?  There's auto sync (that can be set to a few different timings).  There's sync on exit.  There's manual sync.  Not really sure why anything else matters b/c everything beyond that (IMO) is just over the top & not all that "more helpful" but more on the lines of hair splitting.

So...what's wrong with F9 (the hotkey to sync)?  There's auto sync.  There's sync on exit.  There's manual sync.  Not really sure why anything else matters b/c everything beyond that (IMO) is just over the top.

Seriously!? 

• F9 key (or for me, on my Mac, is Control-Command-S - fun!) – This means I have to save the note twice (once to save, once to sync), which since 1990 has never been part of my workflow.
  • Auto sync – can only be done at 5 minute increments at most, in which time I could write 20 notes that don't get synced.
  • Sync on exit – I don't want to quit Evernote.
  • Manual sync - because one in 20 times I'm going to forget to click that button when I'm in a hurry, and that's the time I'm going to need that note on my iPad or phone and be totally screwed without it because I left my laptop back at the office because I thought all my notes would be in the cloud.

And it is not over the top if there are several (or more) people on this forum asking for it, and only one that I've seen [incessantly] arguing against it.

• Level 5*

So...what's wrong with F9 (the hotkey to sync)?  There's auto sync (that can be set to a few different timings).  There's sync on exit.  There's manual sync.  Not really sure why anything else matters b/c everything beyond that (IMO) is just over the top & not all that "more helpful" but more on the lines of hair splitting.

What is wrong having the computer do the mundane repetitive work? or do you advocate removing these same features from the iOS and mobile clients?

Bandwidth/upload space isn't an issue, that has been shown. Making someone push a key (which is different for different platforms) is dumb. That is what computers are for - to do the rote tasks.

Not sure why you are opposed to making the average (or at least average Premium) user's life easier. But, you've been throwing obstacles in other's suggestions for a long time, so I suppose that won't change.

I'm here to make the product better, as are a number of others in this thread, and a real world scenario has been laid out that affects a lot (if not all) Evernote users. I'd like to see this little workflow issue resolved on the desktop like it has been on my iPad.

But, you've been throwing obstacles in other's suggestions for a long time, so I suppose that won't change

You say that like I have any influence over Evernote. I'm flattered. Really!  But the truth of the matter (as I'm sure you know) is that I don't have any influence over Evernote.  I'm simply expressing my opinion.  Just as you are yours.

• Level 5*

I think there is a subtle difference in expressing an opinion and telling someone their opinion is wrong. No one is asking to remove current functionality that can requires you to manually sync. You are entitled to use EN manually.

No one asked how or why this happened, or how to fix it. We all know (in this thread) about manual syncing.

All that was asked was to make it more automatic for new notes. Closed notes should be sync'd by EN automatically so it is in the cloud. It already works this way on a number of clients - I know first hand it works this way on the iPhone, iPad and Windows Phone. I suspect it works this way on Android and Blackberry, and probaly did for WebOS. It definitely works this way on the web.

Not sure about OSX, but it doesn't work this way on Windows. When I stop to think about it, this isn't a feature request so much as a request to fix a broken experience.

I think there is a subtle difference in expressing an opinion and telling someone their opinion is wrong. No one is asking to remove current functionality that can requires you to manually sync. You are entitled to use EN manually.

No one asked how or why this happened, or how to fix it. We all know (in this thread) about manual syncing.

All that was asked was to make it more automatic for new notes. Closed notes should be sync'd by EN automatically so it is in the cloud. It already works this way on a number of clients - I know first hand it works this way on the iPhone, iPad and Windows Phone. I suspect it works this way on Android and Blackberry, and probaly did for WebOS. It definitely works this way on the web.

Not sure about OSX, but it doesn't work this way on Windows. When I stop to think about it, this isn't a feature request so much as a request to fix a broken experience.

Like I said..."seriously???"  Several options already exist for syncing.  The thread is about yet another option for the Windows client.  Is it needed?  IMO, emphatically no. 

Will it be added?  No way for you or I to know (as flattered as I am about your comment).

Mobile devices tend to function different from desktop devices.  Nothing new here.

Sorry you don't like my reply. 

Carry on.

Let's sum up this thread, up to this point:

8 people would like Evernote to auto-sync on desktop OSes the same way it does on other devices. (I have a Mac & it's currently the same as Windows)

4 people contributed some options to get around the missing feature, without indicating whether they oppose or support the feature.

1 person *emphatically* believes the option is not necessary.

1 Evernote employee was paying attention to this thread when it started, but is likely long gone by now.

BNF: We get it. You don't think it's necessary. Telling us over and over again is not contributing anything to this thread, and has become borderline trolling. If you have anything of value to add to this thread, please don't hesitate to do so. On the other hand, if what you have to say is anything akin to "just use one of the existing manual sync options," "auto-sync would take up too much data," or "I don't think it's necessary," please just keep it to yourself. We already know.

Let's sum up this thread, up to this point:

8 people would like Evernote to auto-sync on desktop OSes the same way it does on other devices. (I have a Mac & it's currently the same as Windows)

4 people contributed some options to get around the missing feature, without indicating whether they oppose or support the feature.

1 person *emphatically* believes the option is not necessary.

1 Evernote employee was paying attention to this thread when it started, but is likely long gone by now.

BNF: We get it. You don't think it's necessary. Telling us over and over again is not contributing anything to this thread, and has become borderline trolling. If you have anything of value to add to this thread, please don't hesitate to do so. On the other hand, if what you have to say is anything akin to "just use one of the existing manual sync options," "auto-sync would take up too much data," or "I don't think it's necessary," please just keep it to yourself. We already know.

I just love it. Happens often. Those who want something love to tell those who are posting opposing opinions to stop posting. Amazing. This is a users board & I'm allowed to post my opinion just as you are yours.

Response as a Windows user:

1. F9 Hotkey - Nothing inherently wrong with this, I would like the ability to customize this feature as pressing F9 is not a key most consider "easy to remember" or "convenient"
  2. Auto Sync - Limited to a minimum of 15 minutes.  If I type up a note then minimize evernote then log off my computer my note will not be synced
  3. Sync on Exit - Requiring either File Exit or Control+Q.  Doing this removes the ability to launch Evernote with a keyboard shortcut, meaning I have to launch the program again
  4. Manual Sync - Requires a mouse to click

Sure this could be being pedantic, but I've used another program called Simplenote that executed the simplicity of note taking and keyboard shortcut functionality but without the added features of Evernote.  I'm not sure of your desired efficacy when it comes to using the computer, but I generally try to be as efficient as possible.  When I want to jot something down in Evernote, I hit Control+Shift+Z to bring up Evernote (or Control+Alt+N to go straight to a new note) then I type up whatever I am typing up, hit F9 to sync, then Alt+F4 to close.  For me, I would see it as a very useful feature for one of the following options to be available (in the order of what I find desirable):

1. Pressing the Escape key minimizes Evernote and triggers a sync
  2. Closing Evernote with Alt+F4 triggers a sync
  3. The hotkey for triggering a manual sync can be customized

In my experience the iPhone app isn't necessarily constantly synchronized, it is the closing of a note which then triggers the sync.  If you create a new note on your iPhone for instance and never save it, the note takes some amount of time to sync to the server (not sure if you close the app if it will ever sync if you don't close it).  Only after closing the note will it then get synced, which is essentially what I would like to happen in Evernote for Windows.

• Level 5*

This topic is starting to loop. Feature requests are welcome, this request is a fair one, and Evernote is aware of it. They are likely not posting any more because they have nothing further to say on it, at least at this time, and there's not really much new information either for or against coming. Consequently, I am locking this thread.

Archived