(Archived) Instant collaboration with Evernote

• Level 5*

I'd guess (but pretty confidently) that this won't happen. Two reasons -

1. Evernote are very definite about their core activity, which is making it easy to file and find stuff. They have repeatedly confirmed that they will not waste time on reinventing add-ins for which other software exists, and where others already have years of progress in developing it.
  2. The nature of "sync" means that if you post something, it could be hours/ days/ weeks before I see it, and if I then change it, you may already have changed the original. That's what your "conflicting changes" notebook is for. Imagine the same thing spread over 10 collaborators and you'd all spend more time sorting out conflicts than doing any work.

There's lots of Wiki and SharePoint style options out there if you want to run a team..

• 2 weeks later...

1. Evernote are very definite about their core activity, which is making it easy to file and find stuff. They have repeatedly confirmed that they will not waste time on reinventing add-ins for which other software exists, and where others already have years of progress in developing it.
  2. The nature of "sync" means that if you post something, it could be hours/ days/ weeks before I see it, and if I then change it, you may already have changed the original. That's what your "conflicting changes" notebook is for. Imagine the same thing spread over 10 collaborators and you'd all spend more time sorting out conflicts than doing any work.

There's lots of Wiki and SharePoint style options out there if you want to run a team..

Too bad.

Could you suggest some existing services that will accomplish what I'm looking for?

• Level 5*

Could you suggest some existing services that will accomplish what I'm looking for?

Google Docs

Most flavours of Wiki too; but you should not choose your team admin software on the basis of blind suggestions from us - we don't know how many people / what kind of collaboration / how many changes / how secure your operation needs to be. Talk to a local geek or someone running a similar operation and see what they recommend. If you have some kind of local business support team somewhere, or a local business college where you can get some technical advice, talk to them.

• 2 months later...

Google Docs

Google Docs is a great tool, I tried it before. However, bad news, some Google service including Docs are now not available in Mainland China here. ;-(

SkyDrive of Microsoft still works fine for me, especially for office doc/excel which are specialty of Microsoft, your collaborator will be required to register and login before editing.

Good point! Agree!

Archived