(Archived) Evernote on Tablets

jslick

Hi,

I am interested in getting a tablet, mostly for the purpose of carrying my notes with me. I have evernote premium so I will be able to have offline notes. I am a student and I have all my notes for school on Evernote. My question is how well does the app for evernote work on the Motorola Xoom (or other Android tablets)? I have an Android phone; is the same interface on the tablet as is on the phone, or do they make use of the extra screen real estate? Also, a very important question is how well does it handle pdfs? Viewing a pdf on my android phone is a real PITA, especially through evernote because it has to open a separate app. The pdf takes a long time to load (relatively speaking, considering the technological age we're in) and in general is a bad experience. I have a lot of notes that are in pdf form so this is important to me.

One final question... I know this is an Android forum, but while I'm asking about tablets, what about the ipad? How's evernote on that?

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Level 5*

The iPad version is really nice. A lot of my notes are in PDF as well. The downloads are pretty slow (even on my fast home connection), but once it is downloaded everything is fine. The native iOS PDF viewer is OK, but has few functions, so unless I am just opening the PDF to take a quick look, I read it in another app (Goodreader or iAnnotate). If you put the notes into a notebook and mark the notebook as available offline, it will be held in the memory on your iPad. In this case, PDF views are quite snappy (no download time).

In my opinion, there are very few tablets on the market that can compete with the iPad in terms of hardware and software (I own an iPad2), but you will get a wide range of opinions on that depending on what size tablet you want, how you feel about the constraints Apple puts on you, etc. I think it is safe to say that the Xoom is getting a bit long in the tooth and you will be better off putting your money into something newer like the Samsung 10.1. But, if you can wait, Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) just came out, and I have heard good things about it. Asus will have something out in a few weeks with the new OS. They are a solid company, and I am looking forward to seeing what they've got.

Archived