Evernote vs competition (Time to scale up ??)

Hi ,

I am a premium user of Evernote and Iam very much happy with it.. But..

Even though there is a significant difference in the functionality , people are asking me what exactly are the difference between i cloud and Evernote(and springpad)?

Is evernote really only a personal data indexing tool??

And even icloud is cheaper(Quantitatively speaking !!). 40$ for 25 GB for a year vs Evernote only give 12GB/Year for 45$...

There are many simple features that Evernote can bring out to be a organising powerhouse..

(Keeping in mind that , when google+ came with some extra new features, Facebook immediately implemented it and now google+ is dead meat..)

What new features are we looking at...

At least what I need a scheduler/calender sort of a functionality...

• Level 5

What new features are we looking at...

At least what I need a scheduler/calender sort of a functionality...

Evernote generally does not share expected future improvements, but they have been very clear on one specific issue.

Over the past couple years, Evernote has repeatedly said they will not develop a calendar, even if burning bamboo splints are shoved under their fingernails.

There are 3rd party developers waiting in the wings for the Evernote update to include a Due Date column.

TuskTools Calendar is one example

http://www.moreproductivenow.com/evernote.html

• Level 5*

Sure, there is overlapping functionality between Evernote and other cloud services like Springpad. They both store information in the cloud like virtual junk drawers--places to dump stuff. But, comparing the two is sort of like comparing feature ("dumb") phones and smart phones, and saying that they both make calls. There are HUGE differences in how they do it and all of the options available.

ALWAYS ONLINE?

Springpad is only on the cloud. If they have a server problem, as they have had in the past, your information is inaccessible. Maybe even gone. If you don't have constant access to the cloud, and you are using a computer, you are out of luck (no app). For frequent travelers, this makes it unusable. Springpad is cool, but limited in this fashion. Evernote stores information on your devices AND in the cloud. It has multiple backup and access options, and you can work offline anytime.

WANT TO BACK IT UP?

Springpad does not have an easy export option. As far as I know, it only allows you to back up everything at once, so if you are like me, with thousands and thousands of notes, this is going to be a painful process. Again, Springpad is a cool service, but much less robust.

WANT TO SAVE EVERYTHING?

Springpad handles files in a clumsy fashion. Upload a PDF to Springpad and try to read it. In my case, it is difficult to put anything at all in there, because there is a 5MB limit. If you are a premium EN member (no premium for Springpad) you get a CUMULATIVE storage of 1GB per month. This really adds up, and makes EN one of the best deals out there right now. For many of us, you can literally put everything in there.

ENCRYPTION?

Springpad doesn't have it.

ADVANCED SEARCHING?

Not on Springpad.

OCR?

Not on Springpad.

Don't get me wrong. Springpad is cool, especially for light users. Clip some movie theater websites, upload a few pics from your trip over the weekend, and you will be all set. But, if you want to go paperless and generate lots of large PDFs (books, manuals, receipts, etc.), Springpad is not for you. In other words, if you really want to get serious about notetaking and storage of your personal AND work stuff, EN is a no-brainer.

EN has already scaled up. It's time for the competition to step up and challenge them. In the comparison between Springpad and EN, the only real benefit I see with Springpad is scheduling/alerts. I wouldn't mind if this became available in EN someday as well, but I am also OK without the feature bloat. Ideally, I'd like to see EN play well with Google Calendar. This would solve the scheduling problem and avoid feature bloat.

All accepted..No more complaints :D

But still, some more features that I would like to see in EN are

1. Google calender integration (as you mentioned.)

2. More levels in Notebook stack

3. A bigger size for a single note at least for premium accounts

4. A preview pane for more files other than PDF.

5. A video note maker from your webcam or phone cam.

6. More storage per month.

7. better formatting options in their text editor.

The fact remains.. I would love to see more options and features in EN as I love working on it..

• Level 5*

Just my view....

All accepted..No more complaints :D

But still, some more features that I would like to see in EN are

1. Google calender integration (as you mentioned.) Never going to happen

2. More levels in Notebook stack. Never going to happen

3. A bigger size for a single note at least for premium accounts. Probably at some point

4. A preview pane for more files other than PDF. Very very unlikely

5. A video note maker from your webcam or phone cam. Probably at some point

6. More storage per month. Probably at some point

7. better formatting options in their text editor. Probably at some point

The fact remains.. I would love to see more options and features in EN as I love working on it..

• Level 5*

2. More levels in Notebook stack

I have pretty much stopped using notebooks, so I don't see this as a burning issue. It would certainly improve EN's popularity, but to be honest, the EN tagging system is so much better.

3. A bigger size for a single note at least for premium accounts

It would be nice, but given that EN is setup to provide you with your information whenever you request it, I imagine constant downloads of massive files would impact service. I suspect the price of the premium account would go up. Personally, I wouldn't mind being able to upload larger files, but I am willing to break up big files.

4. A preview pane for more files other than PDF.

I don't know about this, because I am not sure what this preview pane is.

A video note maker from your webcam or phone cam.

I wouldn't use it.

More storage per month.

Like file size, always welcome, but I don't want to see the premium subscription price go up.

better formatting options in their text editor.

I can't think of what I would add, to be honest. Perhaps better control over stuff like the super-indented bullet lists, but that is a minor thing.

Lots of little improvements that would be nice, but, only one big one that has to be there. Consistency.

Specifically:

- Consistent search results on each client.

- Consistent rendering of notes.

- Non-destructive edits on other clients.

- As much as possible, consistent nomenclature and availability of UI elements.

• Level 5*
Lots of little improvements that would be nice, but, only one big one that has to be there. Consistency.

Specifically:

- Consistent search results on each client.

- Consistent rendering of notes.

- Non-destructive edits on other clients.

- As much as possible, consistent nomenclature and availability of UI elements.

I haven't found differences in search results, but that would be important! I'll keep an eye out for it. I don't see my notes rendered differently either, but things like odd line breaks appearing out of nowhere crop up now and again. I could do without those.

By destructive edits (besides the simplify bug that obliterates content) I assume you mean formatting stuff. I think formatting problems are going to be a persistent problem that probably cannot be helped, because a web page is formatted differently than an excel file that is formatted differently than a word file, etc. As long as the content of notes created and edited in Evernote (as opposed to website clippings and other information pasted in) stays consistent (it seems to), then I will be satisfied.

I am used to the UI now, and I haven't got any huge complaints, but it took me a while to figure it all out. I think the UI could definitely use some work. The fact that certain functions exist in some places and not in others is a little annoying.

• Level 5*

As for SpringPad, I could never figure out what the heck it was for, or what to do with it.

With Evernote, I knew right away what it was for, and figuring out the basics of what to do didn't take too long, and it became useful pretty quickly.

And again, the most important one is Right-To-Left editing for Arabic, Farsi, and Hebrew languages. PLEASE

I'm not sure if that is or is not the "most" important one. But again, it's a matter of allocating time & resources. IIRC, they have this on their list & will get to it when they can.

I think for users with these languages RTL is the most important feature. Really. You don't experience the disaster when RTL languages try to add some English to their note. It's truly disaster. BTW, I'm glad to hear that it's in your list :)

I'm sure it is very important for people that it's important to. But so is each user's feature request. :)

BTW, it's not my list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

I wonder if there has been any company that

1.) created a software program that runs on 15 OS platforms (Windows, OS X, Chrome OS, Android, iOS, WebOS and others)

2.) and was able to support both LTR and RTL formats.

3.) in just their first 3 years of operation

And again, the most important one is Right-To-Left editing for Arabic, Farsi, and Hebrew languages. PLEASE

I'm not sure if that is or is not the "most" important one. But again, it's a matter of allocating time & resources. IIRC, they have this on their list & will get to it when they can.

You know this the most important, because you don't write in Farsi or any Right-to-left language to see what happen in non RTL support text box.

i am afraid evernote doesn't support every language. hopefully, it will support yours soon. in the meantime, i hear that the web client supports farsi. give it a try.

I haven't tested this, but I'm pretty sure the web client also supports RTL, b/c of browser settings...

i am afraid evernote doesn't support every language. hopefully, it will support yours soon. in the meantime, i hear that the web client supports farsi. give it a try.

I haven't tested this, but I'm pretty sure the web client also supports RTL, b/c of browser settings...

I tested it again, but it's still note supported

It works in Google Chrome, but users have to change direction manually by pressing RIGHT-CONTROL+SHIFT at the beginning of typing. Thanks, I wish I had this in Windows Client but it's OK for this time.

Evernoted. Thanks for testing this.

• 8 months later...

Evernote continues to not support RTL languages, including Chrome which does not work either -- note the following issues:

- Bullets: the bullet appears at the end of the text, not at the beginning

- Numbers: same.

- Selection of text for copying, pasting - does not behave correctly.

Etc.

I still find it amazing that hundreds of millions of RTL language speakers cannot use Evernote because of this.

• 1 year later...

Archived