(Archived) offline viewing for iphone?

I agree. Notes should be synced and available when you're offline. At the very least, a note you just typed in while offline, should be available for reading and editing at that moment, while you're still offline.

At the very least, a note you just typed in while offline, should be available for reading and editing at that moment, while you're still offline.

Well this is not even the case for the Windows Mobile Edition.

You create a note and then, well, no way to re-open it, watch it. You have to find a way to get online and sync.

That's why I will stick to Evernote 2 where everything was embedded in the device (portable, the Mac, or Windows). No need for connections which are not always available.

I travel a lot and when I spend 10 hours in a plane, I want to be able to browse my notes wherever it's on my PDA or my iPhone. This is not possible and it should be, in my opinion, a very basic feature.

• 5 weeks later...

I am a new user of Evernote. I agree that some for of offline database is needed. I am not in a 3G area so have to use an Edge network that is somewhat dubious at times. The idea of notes is to have them to hand all the time. Plus, I am not sure how the iPhone version would cope with a large list of notes if it had to download the whole lot every time I opened the application.

There's no question that offline access (searching, browsing) on the iPhone would be a good thing. Full synchronization of your account to the phone is just a lot of work, and we didn't have time to do this for the iPhone launch.

The work to add full offline support is at least as much as everything else we've done on the iPhone so far. This means that we're investigating options, but this won't be something we can just add in the next week or two.

You will, however, soon have an option to keep a stored copy of each of your notes on your iPhone via your mail client via IMAP or POP3.

Thanks

You will, however, soon have an option to keep a stored copy of each of your notes on your iPhone via your mail client via IMAP or POP3.

Would this apply to Windows Mobile phones, too? I certainly hope so....it would make EverNote much more useful for me.

I've realized that in the last 6 months my work flow has changed dramatically with the power of my WM6 phone. I now look for apps that work across my 3 daily platforms...my Windows desktop, laptop, and my WM6 phone. I really need apps that will run on all 3 platforms and sync wirelessly across them. This came as a surprise to me as I hadn't realized just how much the WM phone had changed my work style. I no longer take my laptop to meetings, just my WM phone!

Right now I use a hosted Exchange server for most of this functionality...but that doesn't include notes. I'd really benefit from an app that was capable of working across my 3 platforms and sync'ing, too.

Thanks!

--

dg

One more thing...the WM client's screen for editing notes seriously needs to be redesigned. The box for editing the note is only 15 characters wide! Can you imagine editing a note with even a couple hundred words in it if you can only see 15 characters x 4 lines!

Meanwhile most of the screen is left as white space. What's up with that?

BTW, this is on an AT&T Tilt using PIE. The box is actually smaller (if you can believe that!) using Opera Mobile 9.5beta. The box for editing the notes stays the same size regardless of landscape or portrait screen orientation.

--

dg

I appreciate the suggestion, but unfortunately the javascript used in this technique doesn't work on Pocket Internet Explorer (PIE) that comes with WM phones. Also tried it on Opera 9.5 mobile beta and doesn't work there either.

The real solution, of course, is for Evernote to redesign the screen. Right now you can't really edit notes on a WM phone, even one with a decent sized screen.

On a positive note, you can read your notes quite well on a WM phone...that display screen is done quite well...uses the whole screen, no wasted space...so the notes display quite well.

--

dg

• 2 weeks later...
The work to add full offline support is at least as much as everything else we've done on the iPhone so far. This means that we're investigating options, but this won't be something we can just add in the next week or two.

Thanks

Via mail? I don't like that idea. I like to keep my notes secret and don't want it available via email. I would suggest create an offline copy on the iPhone itself.

I am not an iPhone programmer, but there are at least 3 applications in iTunes (I think it's called FILES and FILESMAGNET) that allows you to transfer files between the iPhone and the Desktop. eWallet also allows syncing and the data is kept in the iPhone.

Even Google have the Google Gear to sync offline documents. Although it's not available on the iPhone yet, I have heard from my contacts at Google that offline viewing is such an important features that they came out with the Desktop version first, then later for the iPhone version.

Thanks

Via mail? I don't like that idea. I like to keep my notes secret and don't want it available via email. I would suggest create an offline copy on the iPhone itself.

I am not an iPhone programmer, but there are at least 3 applications in iTunes (I think it's called FILES and FILESMAGNET) that allows you to transfer files between the iPhone and the Desktop. eWallet also allows syncing and the data is kept in the iPhone.

Even Google have the Google Gear to sync offline documents. Although it's not available on the iPhone yet, I have heard from my contacts at Google that offline viewing is such an important features that they came out with the Desktop version first, then later for the iPhone version.

I agree with lanwarrior. Email adds another layer of complexity... something I'm trying to avoid. However, if this is the only solution being offered, I'd prefer an option whereby I can have ONE email with "to do" lists, or info from a specified tag. Having all my notes stored in email will be very cumbersome.

This is the only reason why Evernote is not my primary notes application. Mobile internet is too slow and often I am in places without any reception at all... like on a plane on in the metro.

RIght now I use Phatnotes, the features pale in comparision to Evernote but it does one thing well... stores the notes on the WM device and allows me to access them at speed from anywhere.

There must be 100s if not 1000s of Evernote users crying out for this feature! Here is a comment on Lifehacker:

I love Evernote, but just wish that everytime I wanted to see my notes on the iPhone that it did not have to sync with the server. The grocery market I shop at has terrible reception as does some other areas. So because, Evernote does not locally store the notes on the iPhone, I cannot access my notes when I really need them!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is in the "you've got to be kidding" department.

I'm just getting started with Evernote, and everything I've found makes me more and more enthusiastic. Moving a thousand categorized notes from Outlook to Evernote was a non-trivial task.

I'm just about to start using the iPhone version, and this unfortunately comes as shocking news. I would have assumed it was part of the architecture (of the mobile versions) right from the start. Hopefully I won't have significant coverage/accessibility problems, but we'll see.

I cannot see why solving the offline viewing problem is so difficult. Surely providing the mobile app with the option to synch manually, as is the case with the Mac (and, I assume PC) apps would do the trick. But even if this is a naive suggestion I would argue that solving this problem is critical to the success of the system. The system cannot realistically pursue its stated aim of becoming a "brain extension" if you can only use it when online, and the comments in this forum make it clear that, for many, the lack of this facility is a stopper.

On a related issue, I am sure that many (you may think unnecessarily) are nervous about data systems that provide no offline backup. This anxiety could be alleviated by providing the capability of backing up one's Evernote notebooks to one's Mac/PC, and providing the Mac/PC apps with the ability of reading them. This, I am sure, would markedly improve the taek-up rate for this excellent system.

I am glad to see how many people agree with me.

I really think that offline viewing (caching und keeping Notes until being online again, sync only when changed) is a MUST.

Work-arounds by mail, using different offline note programs such as the build-in: nothing is a solution. I really love Evernote and use it a lot, so I don't want to use anything else in parallel. Even more since there is no copy&paste on the iPhone which would allow me to transfer anything back and forth between apps.

SugarSync does this caching thing very very well - may be you want to have a look at SugarSync. The user doesn't even notice that there is anything going on, with the exception of really fast response times for anything that had been opened on the iPhone already (or created) and hadn't changed since.

Any additional features you may be thinking about are - too me - of low priority, because I miss nothing else.

I am glad to see how many people agree with me.

I really think that offline viewing (caching und keeping Notes until being online again, sync only when changed) is a MUST.

Agree 100%

I use Evernote daily, but rarely use Evernote on the iPhone this reason.

Further to my earlier posts, I have conducted a minor survey. I found 10 iPhone or iPod touch owners who had not tried Evernote. After they had read the release info I attempted to answer any questions they had. I then asked them if they would be likely to make Evernote their main notetaking system. Seven said "No," two said "Yes," and one said she wasn't sure. When I asked the nay-sayers why not, the primary content of their replies was related to the inability access notes on the mobile offline. These figures were fairly close to what I had "guesstimated." Yes, I know this is a very small sample, and it wasn't a very scientific survey, but who would be prepared to bet the success of their product on my being totally wrong.

Incidentally, as I put more and more info into my Evernote notebook another bad feature of the "no offline storage" model is emerging. The more info you have the longer it takes to get your Evernote data back into your mobile. Clearly, there is no point of searching your data until it is all there. Having seen how long this process takes with a mere 80 or so notes I shudder to think what it is going to be like when I finish moving all 650 notes from my Palm T/X. Of course, If my data would be waiting on my mobile when I opened Evernote, I would be a whole new world.

The more info you have the longer it takes to get your Evernote data back into your mobile. Clearly, there is no point of searching your data until it is all there.

Exactly why I don't bother using Evernote with iPhone. Sadly, I've purchased and use native apps that have features similar to Evernote (Audio Notes, Dial2Do, iPhone built-in camera), and then enter the info when I get home. A cumbersome process, but one I'll stick with until:

a) Evernote implements offline viewing

B) A competitor provides an alternative solution

offline viewing is essential for a mobile device ... ESPECIALLY when evernote's servers are 'unavailable' for maintenance and what not like they where two Saturdays ago! That makes it impossible to 'depend' on the application, I was driving to a destination whose address was in evernote and I couldn't retrieve it so had to start making phone calls until I could reach someone to give me information that I already had! How disappointing is that?

I really feel the points in this topic have been made as forcefully and effectively as could reasonably be hoped for. Those of us who have trustfully been migrating data into the system really need some feedback on whether Evernote's producers have been sufficiently impressed by the discussion that they are likely seriously to consider turning Evernote into the "killer app" it was obviously meant to be. Without some reason for hope even stubbornly optimistic users like me are likely to bail out.

For the next iPhone release, we plan to allow you to cache your favorite notes on the iPhone so that you can access them without a network.

Evernote is rapidly moving into the "How did I ever live without this software?". Thanks for the update!! B)

When you say "favourite" notes, really you need to allow caching of "all" notes.

If however, one can easily ensure that "favourites" can include all the notes that should be ok.

Not sure why this has been so difficult as there are several task managers for iphone (Things, Omnifocus to name just two) that have no difficulty in caching all their tasks and associated notes onto the iphone and there is plenty of space for you to do this.

I guess in an ideal world all you would do is tick a "preference" to indicate which notes groups are cached locally.

I presume that the once the iphone/ipod touch comes into connection with the internet then the "notes" on the iphone update/synch with the web.

I would want to be sure that this means that the newly synched notes will then remain on the local cache.

I have to say I would be prepared to pay for this feature.

We hear you loud and clear.

This is fantastic to hear! just for the hell of it, I'd like to say that I too am REALLY looking forward to having all of my notes sync locally to my iphone. At least being able to check an option to sync specific notebooks. in this case, if a person's database is just huge, then only specific notebooks would be synced to the phone, saving space as neccesary.

Once this feature is implemented, I'm going to purchase a premium account, since my use of evernote will go through the roof! Thanks again for listening to your customers :D

I too was encouraged by the information that Evernote have, at least partially, got the message, and mildly discouraged by the bit about "favorites". However, ever the optimist, I was assuming that the current proposal was a temporary solution, and would be followed by successive versions moving towards a "proper"solution. I too would be happy to pay to be able easily to carry my notes and creative efforts over the last few years with me.

More power to you. Evernote people.

• 2 weeks later...

just posting here since its' been a whole week since someone made the same request.

we need this feature, especially when I am trying to show off evernote to potential new users, it would be great if searches just snapped up on the screen like on the desktop.

I too would love to have offline viewing on my iphone. I was in love with Evernote 2 on my motorola Q - it was a little choppy to get to work, but that was because the phone was so crappy... with the new iphone I'd love to carry all my notes around with me and then have them sync up to the internet evernote when i was connected to my wifi network at home.

I for one don't care about offiline viewing of notes on my iPhone. The only times I can imagine being offiline is when the phone it runs out of juice and when I'm in an airplane.

99.9% of my life will be spent in an online situation. The 3G works like a champ in my metro area. Edge is there to back that up.

There are other features and general improvements I would prefer the developers address first. Mainly I would like the iPhone app to do everything faster, if possible.

p.s. I write about Evernote at http://www.okaythings.com/?s=evernote

I was hunting around for a solution to the thousands of language notes I have stored in Microsoft Outlook, and how to get them onto my iPod Touch, and was initally delighted when I found what I thought to be the solution in Evernote. I was to start with wonderfully impressed at the easy-to-use software and powerful features. But now I've seen that I only get the latest search results (limited to the first hundred or so, unless I click "Next 25" zillions of times - I have over 3500 notes in one notebook I want to take with me), and so sadly, that Evernote thing is totally worthless to me. Being able to TRULY synchronise (i.e. what you have on one device is the same as what you have on another device) is ESSENTIAL and FUNDAMENTAL to any real concept of sychronisation. What Evernote currently gives is not synchronisation at all, it's just a query from an online database. To me, for my needs, that is totally worthless and unusable.

I'm off now to my Flemish class, and, sadly, will have to go without the thousands of vocabulary notes which are still stuck in Microsoft Outlook.

When I come back, I'll restart my search for a REAL synchronising solution.

my reason why i need this features is simple. dont want to pay money for transfering in 3G/EDGE.

in japan, the cost per 1MB transfer is $6(monthly start $10=1.4MB and max $60=10MB. basically unlimited transfer).

i saw this kind of plan in the other country. but we have to pay expensive voice call. its $30-40c/min in basic plan.

to fully use iphone, easy to cost over $100/month. thats why i need offline use of evernote.

It's in testing now, but we can't give exact dates for any iPhone releases, since it all depends on when Apple puts it on on the AppStore.

Yes!

Yes!

Yes!

Engberg, please ensure clear instructions accompany the release. I'm curious how updates, etc will take place with notes stored on my iPhone. For example, I want all of my "saved" "to-do" lists stored on my iPhone. However, when I'm done checking 'em off, I want to upload all those changes to my evernote account. I'm assuming this is a no-brainer, but I could be wrong.

Are you planning to make available the data for developers to see the data on the IPhone?

Sorry, I'm not quite clear what you mean here. Apple really locks down the iPhone platform, so one application can't see any of the data that's stored by another application. I.e. I don't think there's any way that we could enable access to stored data on our app so that it can be accessed by a different application on the phone. Is this what you mean?

You can, of course, access our data directly from the service, or from one of the desktop clients, via our new APIs, scripting interfaces, and XML export formats:

http://www.evernote.com/about/developer/

Are you planning to make available the data for developers to see the data on the IPhone?

Sorry, I'm not quite clear what you mean here. Apple really locks down the iPhone platform, so one application can't see any of the data that's stored by another application. I.e. I don't think there's any way that we could enable access to stored data on our app so that it can be accessed by a different application on the phone. Is this what you mean?

You can, of course, access our data directly from the service, or from one of the desktop clients, via our new APIs, scripting interfaces, and XML export formats:

http://www.evernote.com/about/developer/

Well now I'm confused. So in layman's terms... If I create a "to do" list in Evernote, can I save that "to do" list on my iPhone?

Well now I'm confused. So in layman's terms... If I create a "to do" list in Evernote, can I save that "to do" list on my iPhone?

Yes, you will be able to save your favorite notes on the phone. I was answering a question about "developers" accessing notes, which I assume meant access from a different (third-party) app on the phone.

Yes, you answer my question, but I don't understand why or how can Apple lock the information from another application?!! There are a lot of things I don't understand about Apple.

I wanted to have an App that used the Evernotes data stored on the IPhone. And if I understood correct there is no way that you can give the parameters of the file for other programs to read it?

Thanks

I don't understand why or how can Apple lock the information from another application?!! There are a lot of things I don't understand about Apple.

I wanted to have an App that used the Evernotes data stored on the IPhone. And if I understood correct there is no way that you can give the parameters of the file for other programs to read it?

Unlike Windows Mobile, the iPhone Operating System doesn't expose a single "file system" for all data. This means that Evernote's data is not sitting in a file that you can access from another application. Each application is a completely self-contained "sandbox" with code and data together. Applications cannot access data from other applications.

Could you please add a way for the other clients (web/windows/OS X) to mark notes as iPhone favorites? Using the iPhone UI is tedious and painful if you have more than a few notes (and I still like the method of using a designated tag for iPhone favorites 8) ).

I'm glad to have new evernote for iphone with offline viewing. but one thing. could you set new note as favorite and cache it?

I cannot access new notes untill upload the note to evernote server and download(sync) it to iPhone.

the new notes are in pending. cannot open it.

2 more things.

one is,

could you disable or add setting to stop trying to access GPS to get location data? i really dont need it and it's not comfortable to prompt me every taking notes.

the other is,

could you allow evernote for iphone to set default notebook which is different from desktop's.

my default notebook is "General".

but on iPhone. I fetch(sync?) notes in "@iPhone"(name of notebook) when i push "notes button" on the bottom. so if the default notebook for iPhone is "@iPhone", it's smooth to manage notes on iPhone. Just as one idea.

Is there a limit on the number of favourite notes I can have synced to be offline on the iphone/ipod touch? I've marked a few and this works fine, now I want all my notes synced for offline viewing, editing, re-organisation.

Cheers,

Gavin.

Is there a limit on the number of favourite notes I can have synced to be offline on the iphone/ipod touch? I've marked a few and this works fine, now I want all my notes synced for offline viewing, editing, re-organisation.

There's no built-in limit on the number of notes that you can mark as favorites, other than the amount of storage available.

2 more things.

one is,

could you disable or add setting to stop trying to access GPS to get location data? i really dont need it and it's not comfortable to prompt me every taking notes..

This drives me nuts as well. My understanding is that you have to disable this feature in General settings. This is a pain because I want this feature for certain apps i.e. Maps, but not others i.e. Evernote.

Please can we have an option somewhere to sync everything?

I do not have a heap of notes yet because I am still working out which app I will use and which is the one to give my sole attention. But already I do not want to open a notebook, open each note, fave each note, open another notepad..

And I do not want to open the app, open the notebooks and sync when I know I'm off network (I use a Touch).

So having an option for 'Sync all to iphone / ipod' would be ideal.

I fully agree that the "favourites" is NOT what I mean by real synchronisation.

I mention 3 large problems with the favourites system:

* I have over 5000 notes, am I supposed to manually "favourite" each one?!?

* With favourites there is no search. This makes it worthless for many requirements.

* With favourites there is no grouping of notes into different categories. This makes worthless the whole idea of grouping notes into categories.

The synchronisation system should be:

* 100% of notes (i.e. ALL notes are synchronised to the iPhone/iPod Touch, and scrap the ridiculous "load 25 more notes" thing)

* 100% of features when connected (search, categories, ...)

* automatic (i.e. nothing is required for the user to do it)

* seamless (i.e. scrap the "pending" box, and just sync notes when they can be synched)

* default (this is how it should work without asking)

Basically, the notes system on the iPhone/iPod Touch should work with 100% of the notes on the device, which simply synchronises to the web version whenever connected.

I also would vote for this feature to be improved. When I read that offline access to notes was available in the new iPhone app, I was very excited. This morning, I created a note at home, synced to my account, then pulled it up on my phone. When I got onto the subway with no network access, I was greeted with a message stating that the app could not reach the Evernote servers, and none of my notes were accessible.

Shocking!

I agree with a few of the other posters that offline access needs to be improved. My own wishlist follows:

- Default would be that all notes are automatically stored for offline use on iPhone (high priority)

- This setting could be changed by the user (low priority)

- Users should be able to identify a note as available offline, or not, when creating the note online or in desktop app. As the current feature stands, this would mean being able to "favorite" a note when creating it, rather than having to sync to the phone, open the note, and mark favorite.

I use the iPhone app primarily for read-access to my notes. I want to do as little as possible on the phone. This could change, in my opinion, if the offline access were better. The experience I have in editing notes while on the network is pretty slow and a bit frustrating.

This thread is about offline viewing of notes on the iPhone. This was added in the last release.

Wow, I never even realized you had to be online to view your notes! I assumed they were available offline, similar to the toodledo app.

Anyway, I still don't see them available offline. I tried logging out and looking at my notes, but had to log in again. So I did, and then turned on airplane mode. When I try to view my notes, it tells me to turn off airplane mode because EN can't connect to the servers.

Did I miss a step somewhere?

Thanks -- Barbara

Is full syncing going to be available?

I know it's only software and anything can be done, but is full syncing on the roadmap?

If it is then going by previous progress what timescale is likely to be involved?

And if it really is not on the roadmap - because maybe the work involved outweighs the current userbase** - then knowing that would be useful.

**Having the feature would of course bring in users .. but it doesn't make people buy an Apple product.

• 1 month later...

So is there any updated news on this subject pertaining to syncing ALL notes offline without having to add them all to your favorites? Even a select all option would be ok, it's just that I have over 1,000 notes and can't sit there and select them all manually. Thanks in advance!

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

There's not need to cross-post (or to post "bump"/"+1" comments) since we really do read every thread on here via the handy-dandy "View active topics" link on the top of the page.

Thanks

Is there a limit to the size of documents the iPhone will handle for off-line viewing? I'm not as bothered by the "Favorites" requirement (though I do think it would be nice to have a "sync all" option; I got 16GB for a reason), but I do agree that offline viewing is key. I have a number of book chapters and scientific articles on my computer that are very large files (up to about 10MB each). The time that I really want to view them is while I'm at work, and I work in a hospital where I don't get very good reception. This is particularly important when I want to read up on a topic at a conference, and the conference is in the basement auditorium, where I get no reception at all.

The faster the machine can recall these big PDF's, the better. If they're searchable, that's even better. I'm approaching my upload limit for the month, and this is my first month using the product. If this works as well as I'm hoping, then I'll probably go with the Premium version!

-D

The current iPhone client was shipped before the new File Attachment feature came out, so Favorite notes on the iPhone don't currently cache the synchronized Files for offline viewing.

This is something we plan to address for the next iPhone release.

Thanks

Wow - some of the posts on this forum amaze me with their lack of courtesy and etiquette. What happened to basic politeness?

I agree, though, with the folks who are saying that offline viewing will be really useful when it's smoothed out for the iPhone! The "favorites" option still feels a little like a placeholder until a true solution is created.

I do think, though, that Evernote is a great product with a huge potential - I'm looking forward to the next iPhone update you mentioned, Dave Engberg! Having only discovered your application a few months ago, I've become addicted!

• 3 weeks later...

I think something that might be helpful is the ability to indicate via the desktop apps which files should be 'favorites' on the mobile device(s).

This shouldn't require much additional coding: checkboxes/"Select all" option and a dropdown menu addition: Mark as favorites, tie it to the code for sorting favorites already in place. Voila.

adding a 'me too' for the capability of 'favoriting' a note at the point of creation on the desktop. most of us know at the moment of creation whether we will need to view a note offline.

something else i'm having trouble with, is the fact that for some reason my note *folders/categories* aren't presently riding with the 'favorite' marks. so i can see my list of 'folders' offline just fine, but if i click my 'class' folder to try to filter out notes that don't relate to my class, i still see all 23 notes in that folder.

and i do find the constant reminders that i'm offline to be offensive. i shut down my wireless a lot. i *like* being offline. yes, i know it's a machine. but i am smarter than machines. they just have better memories than mine. which is why i want to use evernote.

• 1 month later...

One more vote for ways to indicate the "offline" setting when we create a note, either on the website or on the desktop app. Barring that, marking an entire notebook offline would be ok. There needs to be some way to avoid me loading up each individual note on the phone to save it. Often times, the first time I need something is in a meeting where I have no access and haven't looked at the note on my phone before. The iPhone app should be an extension of the service, not a disconnected piece.

My 2 cents anyway.

I also just ran into a problem where I was viewing a favorite and accidentally tapped the Favorite star, which made it not a favorite and thus it disappeared from the screen and from the Favorites list. If I hadn't been logged on, I wouldn't have been able to access the note again. So there should be some kind of confirmation request before un-favoriting a favorite.

Thanks -- Barbara

Archived