(Archived) Why use outside photo and scan apps for Evernote?

I guess I don't understand the need for all the 3rd party 'scan' software and partnerships that take photos and scan things and sends directly to Evernote. I frequently use the built-in and convenient Evernote Snapshot feature to scan docs, white boards, receipts or other things and create a note for these. The images are clean and the text is searchable. So what are the advantages of apps like DocScanner, CamScanner, GeniusScan, FotoNote, or even ScanBizCards? They each may have their own little tweaks, but maybe I'm missing something. Please educate me?

I use the EN Windows client, web client (occasionally) & iPhone. I don't use the apps you mentioned. But since this is posted in the general section, I'll post anyway. :) I use FastEver & FastEver Snap on my iPhone b/c they are faster than using the EN iPhone app. I use Egretlist on my iPhone b/c it focuses on to do/task lists that are stored in Evernote. It's also faster than invoking the EN app. And I use other apps to rotate/crop/annotate images on either my iPhone or my Windows desktop, since the EN app does not have those functions. FWIW, using these apps doesn't mean I love Evernote any less. In fact, quite the opposite, since they all end up feeding notes to my EN database.

I use PostEver and PictNote from my iPhone. PostEver essentially creates a new note everyday I use it and appends all the notes I take throughout the day to that same note. I have it set so that the note is added to my Journal notebook. It makes for a very easy way to log thoughts, ideas throughout the day. It was great while I was traveling because I could add pictures, make notes about what I saw and it's all time stamped and geotagged. If, for some reason, I don't have any network connectivity, PostEver holds the notes until I do. This was also great while I was traveling because I didn't have data roaming and had to wait for WiFi to upload everything.

PictNote allows me to create a note with multiple photos and text and allows me to have some control over the picture quality.

From my iPad, I use NoteShelf for taking handwritten notes at meetings and saving a copy directly to Evernote.

Are any of these apps absolutely essential to using Evernote? No. Do they make my workflow faster and smoother? Definitely.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.042203,-75.362756

PostEver essentially creates a new note everyday I use it and appends all the notes I take throughout the day to that same note. I have it set so that the note is added to my Journal notebook. It makes for a very easy way to log thoughts, ideas throughout the day. It was great while I was traveling because I could add pictures, make notes about what I saw and it's all time stamped and geotagged. If, for some reason, I don't have any network connectivity, PostEver holds the notes until I do. This was also great while I was traveling because I didn't have data roaming and had to wait for WiFi to upload everything.

I don't recall hearing of this app before. It sounds really nifty - going to have to check that one out! Thanks for the info!

I'm on Android and Mac so that alone explains a lot. EgretList looks awesome but there really isn't anything like it for Android, at least that I can find (I use Astrid for Android/Producteev for Mac for my to do lists and syncing). Developers seem to make for iPhone/iPad first and not for Android simultaneously. I guess the items being discussed in the replies so far are still possible within Evernote itself. I can take notes and pictures and journal and everything else that has been mentioned using third party apps, in my EN account for Mac, or Android. I guess 'speed' isn't as critical for me, or I'm just content with how EN provides me with these things.

So far, MOST of these suggestions for 3rd party apps are still doable from within EN (except the more robust to do list management), am I right?

Archived