[FEATURE REQUEST] Automatic Keyword Categories

vogelap

Can this feature be added? Just like it was in 2.2.1, please?

This is the only piece -- the only piece -- missing from Evernote 4.x. Once it is in place, I will be able to remove 2.2.1 forever.

C'mon, Evernote! Implement Automatic Keyword Categories! Please?

• 11 months later...

This is the only piece -- the only piece -- missing from Evernote 4.x. Once it is in place, I will be able to remove 2.2.1 forever.

C'mon, Evernote! Implement Automatic Keyword Categories! Please?

Any word on this feature request? It's really -- truly -- the only thing missing from Evernote 4.x.

• Level 5*
Any word on this feature request? It's really -- truly -- the only thing missing from Evernote 4.x.

Those of us who were not version 2.2.1 users (and possibly dlu, too) are still curious as to how this feature is supposed to work.

Edit: I did find your article here: http://www.drewvogel.com/2008/08/26/how-i-use-evernote-its-delicious-for-my-life/, but I still can't figure out what you're referring to, or how it would work, since I couldn't find the words "Automatic Keyword Categories" all together.

Filtering for notes with specific keywords

Lets imagine that you have a number of notes containing the words "personal computers" that youd like to be able to group and display all at once on your tape. In this case, you might create a new category named "personal computers", call up the categorys Properties dialog box, click on the Filter tab, and click on the word that in the phrase, automatically assign this category to all notes thatto get these options:

Automatically assign this category to all notes that contain specific keywords

If you choose the option "Contain specific keywords," EverNote provides a place to enter the keyword or keywords you want to search for.

As soon you click OK, EverNote will automatically search through all existing notes and add those with the words "personal computers" to this category. Furthermore, any future notes that you create with the words "personal computers" in them will be instantly and automatically assigned the category "personal computers" without any further action required on your part.

=-=-=-=-=-

The above is from the EverNote 2.2.1 Help file. The red bolding is mine for emphasis. Does this help explain it? When EverNote would automatically assign the category, it did it in a different visual style (italics), so it was easy to discern what had been manually assigned and what was automatically assigned.

• Level 5*

Yes, that's much clearer. Thanks, appreciated.

I've even requested something similar myself, somewhere in the old forums, except that I went a step or two farther, as I wanted notebook to be assignable as well, and not only based on keywords found in the text, but also perhaps on attachment types or other metadata. I didn't base it on EN 2.2.1, but rather my experiences with MS Outlook and GMail.

Not a showstopper for me, but I do like having that sort of rules-based behavior available, and have appreciated the auto-tagging in the web clippers, too.

It was a very handy feature that I used ALL the time in EverNote 2.2.1. There were other options -- I've made a Captivate screencast showing off the feature a bit. Once I get a place to post it, I will follow-up.

• 2 months later...

You are totally and utterly right! We at our office in Amsterdam in the Netherlands, still use EN2 at our Windows7 systems, integrated with Office2010 Outlook (32bit ), because off its unparalleled power. Version 4 is not even close (no other systems!) mainly due to the lack of the most powerful feature of EN2, automatically tag and categorize notes. We consider EN2 far from the end of his lifecycle and intend to use it for a long time to come. Unless of course version 4 will catch up!

5-12-2012%2010-27-44.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I chatted with Evernote Tech Support the other day. I told them about this thread and the Feature Request for Automatic Keyword Categories. She told me that she'd have the developers look at this thread and my screencast, and that they would comment here.

So, I'm guessing they're watching my screencast and will be commenting here...

any... day... now.

<looks at calendar>

• 2 weeks later...

Your picture shows it all. I'm sitting here with my hands in my hair too!

Finally we now know where we stand with Evernote and what their intentions are.

A complete missed opportunity for Evernote, but maybe they probably just can't build this automatic tagging into a web application.

It is a pity that they do not provide clarity and hide themselves behind a closed thread.

Greatz, Wilfried

Maybe Evernote is really beavering away at this feature and don't want to tip their hands just yet.

I agree that it is a missed opportunity for Evernote, and a significant hole in their feature set. I hope they'll correct it soon -- even if the web application lags behind.

• Level 5*

@drew: Watched the video - thanks. Interesting. That that was a bit before my time -- I certainly installed 2.2 at some point, but never got far with it -- didn't care for the ticker-tape/timeline thing. I like the thrust of the feature -- a rules-based system for doing stuff with my note (I've wanted this for a while -- I used Outlooks rules a lot when I used Outlook; Gmail's also), but I think that the notion of making a distinction between manually and automatically entered categories doesn't seem particularly useful, and possibly confusing. I did like that it was dynamic; if I change my note such that a rule is applicable, then I get the category added (or the opposite, I suppose).

Thanks for your comments, Jeff... To me, it is a crazy-useful feature because it "educates" Evernote on what-to-put-where... Just that much more helpful. The rules-based categorization is helpful, and something I hope Evernote will implement (again). I was disheartened that I received no reply to my ticket, and that it was automatically closed because of no activity.

• Level 5*

Yeah, they're making some inroads with their web clippers to that end, but the criteria are opaque rather than explicit (much less explicitly settable by *me*!). I have to think that this is a direction that they will be moving in at some point, it really is super useful.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived