(Archived) Evernote Huge Opportunity

black.rhino

@xdelplanque

Anything for Evernote!

---

For any one of the many people who have read over this thread, the Galaxy Note has been designed to replace all your devices, including that notebook that "everyone" needs anyways. It's got a 5.3 inch screen, and stylus (like the good old days). It is made to quickly capture anything, writing, photos, etc. It comes with a cropping feature to crop pictures and save them to samsung's notetaking app. I'm very excited for this new phone, and mostly to use all the features with evernote. Its like this machine was made to use evernote on it.

Oh and it's a phone, not a tablet (or a hybrid of some sort), so there's that too. :)

If you look at the features, this phone is built to capture everything, and has the ability to"clip" screen shots from anywhere. Also being able to annotate anything is handy, as well as skitch with a stylus, and handwriting notes is a feature that lends itself to Evernote in a way that I don't think the iPad or other tabs can match.

I guess we'll see... I encourage you to check out the Note online or on YouTube.

• Level 5*
If you look at the features, this phone is built to capture everything, and has the ability to"clip" screen shots from anywhere. Also being able to annotate anything is handy, as well as skitch with a stylus, and handwriting notes is a feature that lends itself to Evernote in a way that I don't think the iPad or other tabs can match.

I guess we'll see... I encourage you to check out the Note online or on YouTube.

thank you. i have seen it. i don't get it, though.

it is too small to read a pdf and it (probably) doesn't have enough battery to get me through the day. the ipad can take screen shots and send them to evernote. it can annotate pdfs. it has several impressive note taking apps that send the notes right on to evernote. in fact, the integration of evernote with lots of apps is quite nice. many of the android tablets could probably already say the same thing.

don't get me wrong. i am not bad-mouthing the Note. it truly seems like a cool device. i just don't see how it will be any better than anything else for Evernote.

Very good points, especially the screen size thing which always has me flip flopping between which tablet I want to get. I guess for me, the best tool is the one you have on you, and while I would love a 10" tablet, I am unlikely to have one on me at all times. Maybe the fact that it's portable and a little quicker to take a note than my current set ups has me interested. They are advertising a pretty potent battery, but again, good point on that. If its a phone, its not going to have as good battery life as a tablet simply because of constant use.

Oh yeah, and widgets! :lol:

• Level 5*
Very good points, especially the screen size thing which always has me flip flopping between which tablet I want to get. I guess for me, the best tool is the one you have on you, and while I would love a 10" tablet, I am unlikely to have one on me at all times. Maybe the fact that it's portable and a little quicker to take a note than my current set ups has me interested. They are advertising a pretty potent battery, but again, good point on that. If its a phone, its not going to have as good battery life as a tablet simply because of constant use.

Oh yeah, and widgets! :lol:

i agree. the best one is the one you have. i carry a man purse, so the ipad is always with me. the droid is nice, esp. for gps nav in the car, but for most things i use the ipad. when taking notes (for me) bigger is better.

but for most things i use the ipad. when taking notes (for me) bigger is better.

To jump in here ... Do you use any pc based applications?

Such as a financial program? Tax prep program?

I have a droid and love the ability to use it for some email, and EN for some reference, but they would be both quite frustrating if my only access was via the droid - I really need the full screen and mouse for email and web browsing and EN client is a great tool but my experience, the mobile and web is not so great.

I guess using google docs more would almost move me off the pc ! Seems like most of my pc applications are tools - ccleaner, irfanview, picassa, etc

• Level 5*
but for most things i use the ipad. when taking notes (for me) bigger is better.

I have a droid and love the ability to use it for some email, and EN for some reference, but they would be both quite frustrating if my only access was via the droid - I really need the full screen and mouse for email and web browsing and EN client is a great tool but my experience, the mobile and web is not so great.

I guess using google docs more would almost move me off the pc ! Seems like most of my pc applications are tools - ccleaner, irfanview, picassa, etc

i use osx and windows, but prefer osx. for most work, though, i just use the ipad. i do a lot of writing (i am a researcher), and there are plenty of apps for that. i use a bluetooth keyboard, and with the excellent keyboard shortcuts, i don't miss the mouse at all. i quite like the evernote mobile app.

i don't use google docs much. if i had an android tablet i might, because there is an app, but i don't have the need now. pages in ios has footnote support and so forth, so it allows me to do word processing with ease.

when i need to do heavy processing, or use specialized applications, i do that on my macbook pro at home, or i bring it to the office that day. i think for many people, if they adjust their workflow so that they do the content creation first and the formatting later (if needed), a tablet is more than enough for the bulk of the work. no reason to carry a computer around 365 days a year to do tax prep one day :lol:

i use osx and windows, but prefer osx. for most work, though, i just use the ipad. i do a lot of writing (i am a researcher), and there are plenty of apps for that. i use a bluetooth keyboard, and with the excellent keyboard shortcuts, i don't miss the mouse at all. i quite like the evernote mobile app.

i don't use google docs much. if i had an android tablet i might, because there is an app, but i don't have the need now. pages in ios has footnote support and so forth, so it allows me to do word processing with ease.

when i need to do heavy processing, or use specialized applications, i do that on my macbook pro at home, or i bring it to the office that day. i think for many people, if they adjust their workflow so that they do the content creation first and the formatting later (if needed), a tablet is more than enough for the bulk of the work. no reason to carry a computer around 365 days a year to do tax prep one day :(

I really like the support for Bluetooth keyboards, only if it will work with a standard wireless one...

...is their an app for that too?

And I wonder if I can use it for my android phone...

• Level 5*
I really like the support for Bluetooth keyboards, only if it will work with a standard wireless one...is their an app for that too? And I wonder if I can use it for my android phone...

I doubt there is support for a wireless keyboard. The bluetooth keyboards (I am fond of Apple's, but there are more compact ones out there that are quite nice) are well worth the money.

I have seen the Apple keyboard used with Android phones (very cool for taking notes in class, for example), but I can never get mine to pair. I am sure it is possible, but I generally tend to use my iPod or iPad instead and conserve the battery on my Android phone :)

I really like the support for Bluetooth keyboards, only if it will work with a standard wireless one...is their an app for that too? And I wonder if I can use it for my android phone...

I doubt there is support for a wireless keyboard. The bluetooth keyboards (I am fond of Apple's, but there are more compact ones out there that are quite nice) are well worth the money.

I have seen the Apple keyboard used with Android phones (very cool for taking notes in class, for example), but I can never get mine to pair. I am sure it is possible, but I generally tend to use my iPod or iPad instead and conserve the battery on my Android phone :)

You have so many devices, all I have is an Android phone and I use it to take notes, secretly in class.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm really interested to see if evernote can do something with this new phone features. I'm part of that guys who want to merge tablet and phone in one device so the galaxy note is a good way to do it. Actually using an iPhone 4S, great display, fast response but sometimes a little bit small... Maybe iphone 5 will bring a bigger screen but still no widget..... ;-) Or maybe iOS6, hopefully.

• 1 month later...

Love my Galaxy Note - fits in my shirt (or pants) pocket just fine, and sooo much better than relying on a tablet or laptop, because I know it will always be with me. Battery life is ok, and screen is just big enough to be useful for a full range of apps, up to and including remote control of my workstation. Works ok with a USB keyboard/mouse - if I'm travelling, I take my Logitech 260 combo with me - not as good as a laptop, but close enough 95% of the time.

Evernote is good on the Note via Skitch etc, but I haven't really tested the integration side of things.

Archived