(Archived) Using Evernote for GTD, how best to set up Next Action lists

I'm trying to figure out how best to set up Evernote to keep track of everything I need to get done, using the 'GTD' ideas that I've gleaned from various places online. I can't figure out one thing, though. If I make a notebook called Next Actions, and move actions from my Inbox to Next Actions, then any next actions in my Project notebooks wouldn't show up in my list of next actions. If I, instead, create a Next Action tag, in order to tag my next actions from both the inbox and the next actions in my projects, then I would be able to use the tags to generate a list of just next action. But then, all of my next actions would still be sitting in the Inbox. I could do both... but it somehow seems silly to both file things in the Next Action notebook and also tag them with the same. Is there something about GTD, or about Evernote, that I'm missing completely here? I couldn't find anyone else asking this question by googling.

• Level 5
Is there something about GTD, or about Evernote, that I'm missing completely here?

The Evernote Evangelists will advise you that Evernote is not a GTD program.

The underlying problem is Evernote does not have a way to handle stuff in the future. They have mentioned the possibility of a "Due Date" column which would help your situation, but those mentions go back over 2 years.

A 3rd party developer (TuskTools Calendar) is trying to get around this missing feature.

• Level 5*

It's not a GTD tool!

Why not use a tool that is built for the job rather than trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole?

As the well informed Mr Benson says a due date may arrive in the future, but until then.....

I use two notebooks: Inbox and Notes (everything else). Once processed, everything goes in Notes. One notebook keeps things simple.

I tag Next Actions "!Next" and, if it's a project, with the project tag (".Project_Name). [The "." identifies the tag as a project]

Here is the system I use: http://www.attorneymarketing.com/2011/0 ... ne-part-3/

Here is a review I wrote for a new ebook on using EN for GTD that uses that system: http://www.attorneymarketing.com/2011/0 ... ings-done/.

I hope this helps.

David Ward

I'm trying to figure out how best to set up Evernote to keep track of everything I need to get done, using the 'GTD' ideas that I've gleaned from various places online. I can't figure out one thing, though. If I make a notebook called Next Actions, and move actions from my Inbox to Next Actions, then any next actions in my Project notebooks wouldn't show up in my list of next actions. If I, instead, create a Next Action tag, in order to tag my next actions from both the inbox and the next actions in my projects, then I would be able to use the tags to generate a list of just next action. But then, all of my next actions would still be sitting in the Inbox. I could do both... but it somehow seems silly to both file things in the Next Action notebook and also tag them with the same. Is there something about GTD, or about Evernote, that I'm missing completely here? I couldn't find anyone else asking this question by googling.

Thanks David! You post was very helpful. I've set it up for a testrun now.

To the others who responded... I don't really need a due date function at the moment, I just need to keep track of a lot of different lists that I've had going on on paper that can get confusing and cluttered.

It's not a GTD tool!

Why not use a tool that is built for the job rather than trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole?

As the well informed Mr Benson says a due date may arrive in the future, but until then.....

This sentiment confuses me. Lots of users use Evernote as a GTD tool and lots of Evernote employees use it as such just fine.

Here is an excerpt from the book 'Getting Things Done' detailing exactly what you need (the tickler file is considered optional so is not included, but would not change the point)

ScreenClip.jpg

(The black text is from the book and the coloured text is added by me to help me figure out what to use)

So GDT is designed to be a bunch of lists, a place to store reference/support material, and a calendar. This was originally intended to be most commonly used with pen and paper and a physical calendar, so the idea that Evernote and a digital calendar wouldn't work is peculiar. I just heard on the newest podcast that they are adding due dates, not sure how that would effect things since, looking at that list, it seems pretty much covered.

To answer the TC, I use pretty much the same system as Davidward, with just two notebooks, each representing that which is sorted and not sorted (inbox and empty inbox) like so:

Capture.jpg

• Level 5*

Due dates, changes everything - not sure how you can have Evernote as a real GTD system without a either a whole bunch of hacking or using other systems - you are using Google Calendar for example.

If you are going to do that, they why not just use a GTD system?

Due dates, changes everything - not sure how you can have Evernote as a real GTD system without a whole bunch of hacking and using other systems. If you are going to do that, they why not just use a GTD system?

Again, you are confusing me. As I pointed out (and quoted from the book) GDT is a few lists, a place to store reference/support material, and a calendar, used together to keep things organized. Now I can easily use Evernote to keep lists and store reference material, and also use Google Calendar for event information. What hacks would I possibly use?

Let me put it like this instead, as a question. Suppose I was using the standard pen and paper that David Allen talks about in his book. What is it that a physical inbox, paper lists, reference material and calendar can accomplish that Evernote and a calendar can't (without the use of any 'hacks', whatever that means)?

EDIT: I do however see the point in due dates, it can help, while looking at the 'Next Action' list, to determine what task is to be prioritized and which are not, but then again, I do that one the fly with a quick review of my 'Next Action' items.

Just a question, because I'm no GTD ninja:

I've created 43 tags to be my 43 folders: January to December and 01 to 31. When I have a note that contains a task with a deadline, I tag it, for instance "10" and "October." To keep track of my upcoming deadlines, I click the October tag, and I can see what's due on the 5th, what's due on the 8th, what's due on the 10th, etc.

Is this a "hack" or otherwise not what Evernote is "supposed to do"? I don't understand why people are saying Evernote can't handle due dates. It's not as visual as a calendar (which I also use, for events and sometimes for tasks), but it seems that if I only used Evernote to keep track of when I should do things I'd be just fine. No?

• Level 5
Just a question, because I'm no GTD ninja:

I've created 43 tags to be my 43 folders: January to December and 01 to 31. When I have a note that contains a task with a deadline, I tag it, for instance "10" and "October." To keep track of my upcoming deadlines, I click the October tag, and I can see what's due on the 5th, what's due on the 8th, what's due on the 10th, etc.

Is this a "hack" or otherwise not what Evernote is "supposed to do"? I don't understand why people are saying Evernote can't handle due dates. It's not as visual as a calendar (which I also use, for events and sometimes for tasks), but it seems that if I only used Evernote to keep track of when I should do things I'd be just fine. No?

Yes, I would consider that a "hack". It works for you, but it would not work for the majority of Evernote users.

How would you view all your open tasks that are due over the next 6 weeks?

Ok, I think I understand. To see everything I have to do in October and November, I'd look at the October tag and then the November tag. I think that's the same as looking at a calendar, first at October and then at November. Why do you say the tag/folder system is fundamentally different from a calendar?

• 2 weeks later...

I use Remember the Milk for Task Management and as my calendar. I use Evernote as my Reference Library. RTM is far better at managing tasks IMO. Evernote is far better as a reference library.

If your lists have no next actions, like your Someday/Maybe list, or you just want to locate the information later use Evernote.

For me in the GTD workflow I know exactly where to put stuff at the "Is it Actionable?" step. If yes, then I use RTM. If no, and I want to keep it, then I put it in Evernote with the appropriate tags. No need to have an all in one solution if it really doesn't work well at both.

Hi everyone - I thought I would jump back in and apologies for not being thorough above. If you take a step backwards away from Evernote and all of your GTD apps out there, you will realize, respectfully to metrodon's opinion, you can use Evernote as a GTD tool - and it make the most perfect sense. Obviously (and it's not a plug), I go through in a very thorough manner in my eBook that is in the Trunk, but in short, here's why it works perfectly:

In David Allen's book, he talks about using a Trusted System, but doesn't say what to use. It's left us all in a bit of a conundrum. I think it's fair to say that everyone in this forum "Trusts" Evernote! :( Well, think about using Evernote like you would with a notebook and pen. In other words, create lists for all of your projects, Next Actions, and your reference material. What I advocate in my book is to create parent level tags for GTD which would include your contexts, areas of responsibility, projects (active, inactive & closed), and as David Ward above mentioned, use a !!Today and !Next tags to assign which tasks are up next. Keep every task as a separate note. As you complete them, you can either delete the note or just check it off. Finding the open tasks is as easy as a saved search such as this: "tag:@contact todo:false".

My absolute favorite part of the system is note linking. With note linking I can link to a Master Project Note for one of my tasks. Let's say I need to draft a proposal for Client XYZ. Well I just copy that MPN note link and then paste the link into my task that says draft the proposal. Instantly, I have access to all the details. I've used the copy note linking for not just this but also relationship management and itineraries. It's so absolutely wonderful!

I have had questions posed to me, literally, from around the globe asking me about what they should do about repeating tasks or tasks with a hard deadline. My answer is simple. Use a calendar. That is exactly what David Allen says as well in his book. The calendar is a sacred ground. If you have an actionable item with a definitive due date and time - then it belongs not in your task list, but in your calendar. What's more, if you use note linking (I really, really love this feature), you can paste a link from your note into the action item in the calendar so you can quickly go to Evernote to learn more about your task. It's mad genius, I say! :)

Obviously, I have much more where that came from in the book, but here's my takeaway - yes, you can use Evernote as a GTD tool & archiving tool. In fact, it makes perfect sense.

I'll add one more thing ... I'm working with followupthen.com to integrate my system with their marvelous site. More on that later ...

I do hope this was helpful!!

Archived