(Archived) TAGS

I'm really beginning to loath the TAG system.

- We really need a way to associate TAGS with specific Notebooks only. This system of TAGS for all when we have tons of them is getting old, fast.

I know you can 'hide' them, but too often do I have no notes in some TAGS that are empty and unhiding to see a bazillion TAGS that have nothing to do with the notebook I'm in is just sloppy.

Please, PLEASE allow us to assign TAGS to specific Notebooks.

The Tag feature is great BECAUSE it spans all notebooks. The hide unassigned tags should work for what you are requesting.

I don't really understand this part:

but too often do I have no notes in some TAGS that are empty and unhiding to see a bazillion TAGS that have nothing to do with the notebook I'm in is just sloppy.
  • Level 5*

You're certainly allowed to restrict your tag assignments to specific notebooks, as your usage dictates, but adding the ability to restrict certain tags to specific notebooks doesn't really solve your problem. If you want to restrict certain tags to a specific notebook (or maybe notebooks, that part is not clear), then don't assign those tags to notes in other notebooks. But what you really seem to be asking for is the ability to see which tags are used in specific notebooks. And that's what the "Hide Unassigned Tags" option in the tag tree is for, as noted by black.rhino.

No, example, I move notes from various TAGS as things change for me at work.. So at times some TAGS may have nothing assigned. Problem, when I have hide unused tags, I can't see empty TAGS.. Sometimes TAGS have nothing in them..

When I unhide, I see like over 160 TAGs.. I find it more useful to browse my tags because I can't freaking remember them all. *****, why is this so difficult to understand.. I DONT want to browse through ALL tags when they are Unhidden, just those that pertain to my notebook.

Another example; Some notebooks are for personal use and those TAGS would NEVER be useful under any other notebooks other than my personal notebook.. and vise versa for my various Business/work related notebooks..

Again, why is this concept so difficult to understand?

The only way I seem to be able to get TRUE separation is separate accounts.. but then we have the using multiple accounts issue..

Hide/Unhide is a freaking crutch and a general blanket solution that really needs to be more refined. This is what I'm asking for.

Plus, saying that being able to assign TAGS to specific notebooks doesn't solve this problem, doesn't make any sence... :shock: ? damn straight it would solve it! Then I could forget this 'hide/unhide' business and see whats actually pertinent to what I'm working on!

Some notebooks are for personal use and those TAGS would NEVER be useful under any other notebooks other than my personal notebook.. and vise versa for my various Business/work related notebooks..

So, as Jeff said, don't assign tags for work to personal notes. (shrug)

You may find it more helpful to nest your tags. IE, put all the ones that relate only to work under a tag called "work". You can then "close" the work tag when dealing with personal notes.

In the Windows client, you can add tags in the header info or by selecting/right click & then type in the beginning letters of the tag(s) & a drop down list will be displayed.

So what you're saying is create a WORK notebook and a WORK TAG? Seriously? Not exactly intuitive, So I'm manually dpomg the work when this could, and probably should, be done behind the scenes in the background with the database/application. Thats a workaround and a limitation of the application.

Again, I'm simply requesting they refine the abilities of TAGS to include the ability to assign TAGs to specific notebooks.. Not a world changing event here.. why the pushback?

Why can't anyone REQUEST a feature without being ridiculed for it?

So what you're saying is create a WORK notebook and a WORK TAG? Seriously? Not exactly intuitive, So I'm manually dpomg the work when this could, and probably should, be done behind the scenes in the background with the database/application. Thats a workaround and a limitation of the application.

Again, I'm simply requesting they refine the abilities of TAGS to include the ability to assign TAGs to specific notebooks.. Not a world changing event here.. why the pushback?

Why can't anyone REQUEST a feature without being ridiculed for it?

No one has ridiculed you. We are trying to help you. You are the one making snarky posts.

So what you're saying is create a WORK notebook and a WORK TAG? Seriously?
Again, why is this concept so difficult to understand?
Hide/Unhide is a freaking crutch and a general blanket solution that really needs to be more refined.

Chances are really good the feature request you are asking for will NOT be implemented. If it is, it will not be for a while, since there are still many features they are getting rolled out on all platforms. You have been offered workarounds that are quite good.

• Level 5*
No, example, I move notes from various TAGS as things change for me at work.. So at times some TAGS may have nothing assigned. Problem, when I have hide unused tags, I can't see empty TAGS.. Sometimes TAGS have nothing in them..

OK, yep, I see that now.

Here's a system that might make sense in your scenario. If you have tags that apply only to specific note, then name them accordingly; e.g., for Notebook MyNotebook, name the tags MyNotebook-Tag1, MyNotebook-Tag2, etc. Make a master tag for that set: MyNotebook-Tags, and put all the associated tags under that tag. When you enter a tag for anote in the tag area of the note info, you start typing the notebook name, and you get all of those tags in the drop list.

Again, though, this scheme doesn't work so well if you want particular tags to apply to more than one notebook. You'd need to figure something else out for those scenarios, if they exist in your world.

Hide/Unhide is a freaking crutch and a general blanket solution that really needs to be more refined. This is what I'm asking for.

All software features that help you do what you want are "crutches". You're asking for one, too. What's your point?

Plus, saying that being able to assign TAGS to specific notebooks doesn't solve this problem, doesn't make any sence... :shock: ? damn straight it would solve it! Then I could forget this 'hide/unhide' business and see whats actually pertinent to what I'm working on!

I think that it would cause more problems, and more UI confusion than you might think it would. On the other hand, you might be right. Good luck.

Archived