How to do outlining

Over the years in this forum several people have suggested 3rd party addins or front ends to Evernote to get some better level of outlning (some to promote their own product). I think that a note-taking, thought-recording tool requires full outlining functionality, and I think that should be built into Evernote. But, I've given up on them doing that. So I am in the process of switching to OneNote. (BTW I have no relationship with Microsoft, OneNote, etcetera.) OneNote has the full outlining functionality I need, full multi-platform access, and so far (I've been slowly switching for about 3 months) I haven't missed anything about Evernote.  And a bonus is that Microsoft hasn't been spamming me with upgrade notices. hahahaha. 

Such a kind-hearted soul looking out for us all :-)

• 9 months later...

I switched to OneNote and it's working great for me. If outlining is really important to you, as it is to me, then the switch is worth it. I haven't found anything in Evernote that I couldn't get it OneNote.

I feel bad posting this in the Evernote forum, but despite YEARS of us asking for this simple feature, Evernote failed to respond at all. 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, farmer123 said:

I do not like onenote, but really need outlining.  I pay for a premium subscription to evernote, but unless they can fix this no collapsible outline deal, I will be canceling my subscription and moving on.

Good bye, Good Luck

Its not clear why you subscribed if Outlining is so important to you.  

Did you not realize EN has a basic note editor?

I would welcome expanded WP features in EN, but currently, for serious word processing features, I use a dedicated app

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, David Heimer said:

I haven't found anything in Evernote that I couldn't get it OneNote.

Tags?          My #1 reason for using EN instead of other products.

Scripting?   I'm on a Mac, and I write Applescripts to add features I need.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Did you not realize EN has a basic note editor?

I see this mentioned a lot as a response to when folks complain about some missing editor function.  I think we all understand that the editor is basic, but the point is many believe it shouldn't be.  They have had many years to enhance it but did very little to improve the experience until the recent change to the new common editor.  I don't think most of us are expecting MS Word functionality but a few additions, such as outlining, would be very, very welcome.  I'm hopeful that the new editor will soon lead to some new, overdue enhancements.

23 hours ago, David Heimer said:

I switched to OneNote and it's working great for me. If outlining is really important to you, as it is to me, then the switch is worth it. I haven't found anything in Evernote that I couldn't get it OneNote.

I feel bad posting this in the Evernote forum, but despite YEARS of us asking for this simple feature, Evernote failed to respond at all. 

That's because they were busy for years wasting time on the store and other things not related to their core product. My subscription times out in May of next year so I'm giving them until that time to make some big improvements. I'm interested to see what the new team will do but If I don't see it by May 2017, I'm gone too because it'll just be more of the same.

Archived