(Archived) New iMac - how to delete off old Mac without deleting data

carabell

Idea

I'm getting a new Mac and trading in my current one. How do I delete Evernote off my current computer but keep my data online intact? I don't want to delete everything.

I assume I download evernote for Mac on my new one and then can sync to my account and it should all be up to date?

Using Snow Leopard now and will also be using Snow Leopard on the new one.

3 replies to this idea

I don't know about Macs, but on Windows, you'd just uninstall Evernote & delete all the associated files. I'd probably use a virtual shredder. Better yet, I'd low level format the hard drive(s), if I were trading it in. Again, I don't know anything about Macs, but I'd guess there's a similar procedure to use for cases like this.

I assume I download evernote for Mac on my new one and then can sync to my account and it should all be up to date?

Yes. However, be sure you've sync'd all changes up to the Evernote servers. If you have any local/non-sync'd notebooks, you'll need to accommodate those as well. One way is to export the non-sync'd notes to an enex file & then import them on the new computer.

• Level 5*

All your sync'd notebooks are up in the Evernote cloud - you'll just need to install the app on your new machine.

If you have local notebooks then you should export them first and then you can import them on your new machine.

You can delete the user/library/application support/evernote folder on your old machine to delete all your data.

If you are trading it in and you have any sensitive data on your hard drive then I'd recommend you ensure that the hard drive is securely cleaned.

Archived