(Archived) Evernote and Things connection

eferrigan

Idea

9 replies to this idea

Actually that is not 100% true. Here is what they responded to me with.

"For quick entry to work, Evernote would need to expose links to those specific items in its database via AppleScript - at the moment this is not offered by Evernote (and it never has been). There is a workaround hack we could implement to make something like that work, but we've tested it and it is not stable (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't) - so we won't consider adding this feature until Evernote offer full AppleScript support in their app."

• Level 5*
Actually that is not 100% true. Here is what they responded to me with.

I'm not surprised that I missed out some details; as i said, I am not a Mac guy. I just knew that there has been some AppleScript/Evernote work being done. You might try checking in to the Dev section here, though.

It would be a good thing, though, I have Things too and it's dying. You may not want to hitch your wagon to that tractor.

That said, a quick glance at the libraries shows that importing to Evernote as a checklist should be easy. Exporting that data from Things looks difficult/impossible. This questions should be directed to them (and good luck, you are going to need it.)

I've written a couple of Applescript connectors for Evernote and Things, and there's another one out there that focuses just on to-do items that you create in Evernote.

Here's an example of one which I use fairly frequently. It could use some refinement, but is a starting point if you want to roll your own:

https://culturedcode.com/forums/read.php?7,53080

- Barry

Here is a way to reference and link to an item/note in Evernote while using Things.

I use Evernote as the permanent repository for GTD filed reference items. Sometimes you need to have access to files that are part of a project.

There are two ways to reference and link the Evernote note item with the Things Todo item. One method is local to the computer that you are using and the other allows for access from anywhere.

Anywhere link method:

Create a ToDo in Things. Then go to the note in Evernote that you wish to link with the Things ToDo item. On the Evernote top menu bar select "Note" then in the drop-down menu select "Share" in its drop-down menu select "Copy Share Note URL to Clipboard". Then go to the Things Todo item and paste the URL into the Notes section of the Todo. Now you have a link from Things Todo item to the Evernote note item.

Local link method:

Create a ToDo in Things. Then go to the note in Evernote that you wish to link with the Things ToDo item. On the Evernote top menu bar select "Note" then in the drop-down menu select "Copy Note Link". Then go to the Things Todo item and paste the URL into the Notes section of the Todo. Now you have a link from Things Todo item to the Evernote note item. But the reference is relative to your local disk storage device.

For this entry I was using EvernNote version 3.0.2 and Things 1.6b16

Archived