(Archived) Sharing a whole notebook EXCEPT... ??

I am using Evernote (and couldn't live without it) for sharing information with two classes that I am teaching. The classes are following the same course, so basically I am using the same material for the classes. BUT: there are some very few documents concerning class A that I do not want class B to be able to see, and the other way around.

My solution to this has so far been to have two separate notebooks, but it is a cumbersome solution, as 90% of the material is the same. Another solution could of course be to let both classes have access to two notebooks each, one that is general, and one that is specific to that class.

Another - and the best - solution would be if it was possible to share one notebook to both classes, but put restrictions on some few notes in that notebook. As far as I have found out, this does not seem to be possible, and it also doesn't seem to be possible to share based on tags.

Can anyone come up with a good idea on how to do this effortlessly? :)

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Depends on the level of security required. You could password-protect two PDF files and save the information in the same notebook. Class A see their information behind their password, and class B likewise (but different password, obviously), but anyone from one class could get hold of the "wrong" password and see the other information if they try hard enough..

Alternatively you could use any other note-taking software application (sorry Evernote) that runs within a browser and supports password or user-ID based security restrictions, and just embed one version in the note(s)for one class, and another for the other. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_wiki for some rough ideas (but there are non-wiki based solutions too... probably...)

-If you're talking about having secured information in lots of different notes, then I think the separate notebooks idea is about as good as it's going to get.

Another solution could of course be to let both classes have access to two notebooks each, one that is general, and one that is specific to that class.

I was going to suggest doing exactly this until I remembered, and just confirmed, that you can not search more than one linked notebook at a time.

Alternate approach is to:

- Create unshared Library / General notebook to contain common material for each class

- Create shared notebook for each class

- Copy Library notes to class notebooks

- If you update or add a note in the Library notebook you will need to delete previously copied note from the class notebooks and copy the updates.

- You could use a saved search, eg. updated:day-6 notebook:Library, to find notes needing update to class notebooks.

Archived