(Archived) frustrated searching

First off I have really enjoyed Evernote. But one thing that has frustrated me is performing a basic search. I am not sure if it is all platforms (I use windows and android the most, have mac at home). This annoyance is specific to windows.

When I usually do a search I want to search all of Evernote and not the specific notebook I happened to last click. Usually I have changed my thoughts or have already manually looked for the note in a specific notebook and now I am searching b/c I could not find it, thus expanding my search to all notes. I think the search feature should not be dependent on the notebook structure on the left. If i want to limit my search I should then use the advanced search. Maybe I am missing something and most people like it. But I would prefer to have more control without having to go click "All Notes," I would prefer "All Notes" unless I limit it.

A separate but related issue. When clicking the notebooks and then moving down to click a tag it limits the notes that are tagged and in that one specific notebook. I would like to choose whether I want it to be limited vs. having to select the All Note notebook and then the tag. I would prefer to hold "ctrl" if I want a notebook and a tag selected at the same time.

Example: click "Running" notebook show me the notes in "Running"; now I would like to find a quote; so I click my tag "Quote." Evernote should not limit my quotes desire to "Running" quotes unless I hold "ctrl." Just hate how I have to always go back to All Notes first.

Sorry if I was not clear or for typos. Closing the books at work and time is short.

• Level 5*

On the Mac client there is a keyboard shortcut that selects All Notebooks and puts the focus in the search box. Have a look at Preferences and you can see the default and change it to something else if you prefer.

• Level 5*
First off I have really enjoyed Evernote. But one thing that has frustrated me is performing a basic search. I am not sure if it is all platforms (I use windows and android the most, have mac at home). This annoyance is specific to windows.

Probably should have posted this in the Windows forum, then. Nevertheless...

When I usually do a search I want to search all of Evernote and not the specific notebook I happened to last click. Usually I have changed my thoughts or have already manually looked for the note in a specific notebook and now I am searching b/c I could not find it, thus expanding my search to all notes. I think the search feature should not be dependent on the notebook structure on the left. If i want to limit my search I should then use the advanced search. Maybe I am missing something and most people like it. But I would prefer to have more control without having to go click "All Notes," I would prefer "All Notes" unless I limit it.

I use the notebook-specific search most of the time. However, if you want to do an all-notebooks search, you can use the F6 or Ctrl+Alt+F shortcut keys to start a new search with All Notebooks as the context.

A separate but related issue. When clicking the notebooks and then moving down to click a tag it limits the notes that are tagged and in that one specific notebook. I would like to choose whether I want it to be limited vs. having to select the All Note notebook and then the tag. I would prefer to hold "ctrl" if I want a notebook and a tag selected at the same time.

To show all tags, regardless of notebook, you need to disable the "Hide unassigned tags" option (or conversely, enable the "Show Unassigned Tags" option in the View menu.

Probably should have posted this in the Windows forum, then. Nevertheless...

it was a general question; just happen to be specific the machine I am on at the moment.

I use the notebook-specific search most of the time. However, if you want to do an all-notebooks search, you can use the F6 or Ctrl+Alt+F shortcut keys to start a new search with All Notebooks as the context.

Thanks for the shortcuts; easier if I got to control it vs. me having to reset the position every time. Also, would allow for two notebooks to be selected at the same time as well. But as a seasoned Evernote user, I am sure you like the current structure. But the shortcuts will do what I am looking for without having to go back to the mouse. Thanks

To show all tags, regardless of notebook, you need to disable the "Hide unassigned tags" option (or conversely, enable the "Show Unassigned Tags" option in the View menu.

Like I said; sorry about not being clear. I can see all the tags (all visible all the time), I just don't want the the notebook from above to remain selected; if I wanted it to remain selected I should use "ctrl."

On the Mac client there is a keyboard shortcut that selects All Notebooks and puts the focus in the search box. Have a look at Preferences and you can see the default and change it to something else if you prefer.

Thanks

• Level 5*
Also, would allow for two notebooks to be selected at the same time as well.

Ah, but you cannot search two notebooks with one search; only one or all. At least with the current search functionality, that is.

But as a seasoned Evernote user, I am sure you like the current structure.

It just happens to be what I use most; other seasoned (grizzled? :D) users might have a different preference. Evernote couple put a preference in the Options, but their predilection seems to be to keep the number of options small.

But the shortcuts will do what I am looking for without having to go back to the mouse. Thanks

Glad for that. You're welcome.

Like I said; sorry about not being clear. I can see all the tags (all visible all the time), I just don't want the the notebook from above to remain selected; if I wanted it to remain selected I should use "ctrl."

I'm not sure that you're trying to do here. If I click on "All Notebooks", and then click on tag "Cycling", I get all Cycling-tagged notes in all notebooks. If I click on a specific notebook, and then click on tag "Cycling", I get all Cycling-tagged notes just that notebook. This is in the Windows client. Is that what you're seeing?

This annoyance is specific to windows.

Then, as Jeff said, it should be posted in the Windows section.

Just hate how I have to always go back to All Notes first.

Then I would suggest you use the global "find in Evernote" hotkey option Metrodon suggested, which is also available in the Windows client. I changed mine (in the Tools/options section) to F5, so it's a single keystroke.

If I click on "All Notebooks", and then click on tag "Cycling", I get all Cycling-tagged notes in all notebooks. If I click on a specific notebook, and then click on tag "Cycling", I get all Cycling-tagged notes just that notebook. This is in the Windows client. Is that what you're seeing?

We are seeing it the same way. I have Evernote up all day and the chance that the last specific notebook is "All Notes" is not likely. Thus requiring the use of one of these "hot keys." I think when you go select your cycling tag it should show deselect all selections and show you all the notes with that tag, unless I also (my choice by holding "ctrl") select a notebook. I would prefer it not assume the last notebook I used; maybe 2 hours ago or 10 secs should be used to limit my results, unless I requested it by some command.

Either way Evernote clearly is building a nice product.

• Level 5*
If I click on "All Notebooks", and then click on tag "Cycling", I get all Cycling-tagged notes in all notebooks. If I click on a specific notebook, and then click on tag "Cycling", I get all Cycling-tagged notes just that notebook. This is in the Windows client. Is that what you're seeing?

We are seeing it the same way. I have Evernote up all day and the chance that the last specific notebook is "All Notes" is not likely. Thus requiring the use of one of these "hot keys." I think when you go select your cycling tag it should show deselect all selections and show you all the notes with that tag, unless I also (my choice by holding "ctrl") select a notebook. I would prefer it not assume the last notebook I used; maybe 2 hours ago or 10 secs should be used to limit my results, unless I requested it by some command.

Ah, I see. But i"m not sure that I agree. I picked that notebook; I might have done so 2 hours ago, but it might have been 2 seconds ago, also. The flow sort of mirrors the search grammar: pick your search context (i.e., notebook), which starts a new search, and then pick your filters (i.e. tags and/or attributes), which refine the search. So I'm used to it, and it conveys a certain sense of consistency to my mind, and so I wouldn't want it to change behavior, though it might be one of those 50/50 propositions vs. your preference; there may be no absolute right or wrong answer here.

Anyways, this brings to mind one thing that I would like to see: if I Ctrl+click on a new notebook (or Shift-click), I would like to see my Tag/Attribute/text/etc. search items retained, rather than blowing them all away as happens now; current simple click on a notebook could clear them as it does now.

Either way Evernote clearly is building a nice product.

On that we agree. :)

• Level 5*
Anyways, this brings to mind one thing that I would like to see: if I Ctrl+click on a new notebook (or Shift-click), I would like to see my Tag/Attribute/text/etc. search items retained, rather than blowing them all away as happens now; current simple click on a notebook could clear them as it does now.

[talking to myself] Of course, you can do that by selecting a different notebook in the Search Explanation.

• 2 weeks later...

I find this frustrating as well. I almost always have my to do notebook open which doesn't relate to any of my tags. It would be great if there were a setting so I could have evernote pull up all the notes associated with a given tag and not just the ones in the selected notebook. I get that there is a keyboard shortcut, but honestly, it's the same as having to remember to click "all notes".

A generalized setting would be great because it would accommodate those who only want to search for tagged items within the currently selected notebook and those of us who want to see all tagged items regardless of the notebook selected.

Archived