restore a note from previous version

I was updating a note on my Ipad today and it somehow deleted the previous notes and overwrote with the new info.

Is there any way I can get back the info from the previous version of the note? Are previous versions of notes backed up at all and can they be restored?

Note history snapshots are taken ~every 8 hours. They are only available to premium users. For more info, please search the board on "note history".

Also, please note there's a difference between deleting a note & updating a note. If you (accidentally) deleted a note, it will be in the trash. This is for both free & premium accounts.

• 2 years later...

How about Evernote fixes this bug? The same thing happened to me today... made updates to notes on desktop, then opened up the same note on my iPad. When the iPad synced it automatically deleted all of the notes I had just recorded on the desktop... 5 minutes previous to this and not 8 hours.

How about Evernote fixes this bug? The same thing happened to me today... made updates to notes on desktop, then opened up the same note on my iPad. When the iPad synced it automatically deleted all of the notes I had just recorded on the desktop... 5 minutes previous to this and not 8 hours.

What bug? OP made an accidental change to a note on his iPad & it was synced to the EN servers. Expected behaviour. OP was then able to restore from note history. (yay!). The fact that note history is taken only once every ~ 8 hours is not a bug. Furthermore, I don't understand your issue...simply opening up one note on your iPad will not delete other notes. It appears you did something else that's not mentioned in the scenario. Please log into the web client to see if your notes are there.

What I did was make quite a few changes to an existing note in the evernote app on my mac. 5 minutes later I opened that same note on my ipad to review. Upon opening the note on iPad, the changes I had made on the app were not present, so I closed the document, refreshed the notes and re-opened. Instead of importing my newer notes into the ipad app, evernote overwrote the newer notes with the older version from the iPad.

In the UI design world, we would call this a bug... clearly the newer notes should be retained over an older version. In this case, even if I had a premium account my notes couldn't be restored. 

What is this, 2011? Look at what Prezi or google docs does with immediate sync and multiple users... and evernote can't keep track of which is a newer version of a note between two devices?

What I did was make quite a few changes to an existing note in the evernote app on my mac. 5 minutes later I opened that same note on my ipad to review. Upon opening the note on iPad, the changes I had made on the app were not present, so I closed the document, refreshed the notes and re-opened. Instead of importing my newer notes into the ipad app, evernote overwrote the newer notes with the older version from the iPad.

In the UI design world, we would call this a bug... clearly the newer notes should be retained over an older version. In this case, even if I had a premium account my notes couldn't be restored. 

What is this, 2011? Look at what Prezi or google docs does with immediate sync and multiple users... and evernote can't keep track of which is a newer version of a note between two devices?

This is what I call user error.  You should have sync'd your iPad before attempting to edit the notes.  This is not unique to Evernote, but with every cloud app.  More info here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/20092-not-very-happy-right-now/?p=101095

Also, FYI, iOS has shake to undo, if you accidentally modify a note.  Once it's sync'd I don't think you can undo.

Possibly, but my point is that good UI/UX overcomes these discrepancies in how different users might interact with the system. As a casual user of Evernote, having to worry about sync processes and correct action steps in order to preserve data is a hassle. Good UI/UX design accounts for this and creates a solution. I don't see that happening in this case. I'm definitely not saying that Evernote does a bad job, but clearly this is one area where they could be doing much better.

• 2 months later...

Note history snapshots are taken ~every 8 hours. They are only available to premium users. For more info, please search the board on "note history".

Also, please note there's a difference between deleting a note & updating a note. If you (accidentally) deleted a note, it will be in the trash. This is for both free & premium accounts.

So i have an app called Cloud Outliner and I created an outline on it about a week ago, and it syncs to Evernote. Yay!  So I opened evernote on my PC desktop app and added a bunch of stuff to the outline.  I then clicked sync and it synced the old version of my outline before I had added all of the revisions today!  Now I've lost all my ideas that I added today. Is there any way to retrieve that version with all my revisions that I just added... right before I did the sync?

• 5 months later...

I had exactly same problem. Edited a note on a desktop then syned it(by clicking sync icon on desktop evernote). When I sync it on iphone, the old version of this note on iphone covered the just edited version on desktop !!! What a bug ! Now I lost all the work(my idea) on the missing note !!!

Steven

I had exactly same problem. Edited a note on a desktop then syned it(by clicking sync icon on desktop evernote). When I sync it on iphone, the old version of this note on iphone covered the just edited version on desktop !!! What a bug ! Now I lost all the work(my idea) on the missing note !!!

Steven

It is not the first time this problem happened on me. I just tested a few time with desktop/iphone syn. The result is unstable. I strongly suggest making a new note if you update an existing note with a lot more new staff. 

burgernfries do you work at evernote?
if you are an ui developer then you need to
be fired right now. Ive been having this
problem for a year now. since then I take
all my important notes on a different program
being a premium user doesn't help any
too much thing on EN , a hostage.
I'm slowly switching to something else
it is very upsetting. users on here are
trying to be patient but wtf?
so go xxxx yourself
with that xxxxxxx user error *****

problem for a year now. since then I take

all my important notes on a different program

being a premium user doesn't help any

too much thing on EN , a hostage.

I'm slowly switching to something else

it is very upsetting. users on here are

trying to be patient but wtf?

so go xxxx yourself G

with that xxxxxxx user error *****

Thank you for the best laugh I've had all week.

I suggest you educate yourself before making yourself look so foolish (on so many levels) ever again.

Good luck.

• 7 months later...

It is a bug - same thing happened today - wrote something for 20 minutes last night on the phone (did not sync then). Tried to share the note to gmail today and it send a link with the old version. went back and synced it on the phone and just freaking deleted the changes from last night - WTF? now i need to upgrade to premium to address the bug evernote has??

• 1 month later...

Putting aside wording of the note I would second the opinion.

Thank you for the best laugh I've had all week.

I suggest you educate yourself before making yourself look so foolish (on so many levels) ever again.

Good luck.

You are arrogant and opinionated.

The bug described here is serious design bug, probably a result of uncoordinated development of the app. This one example can (and hopefully will) deter people from using this app, as it cannot ensure safety of users' data.

Yet you simply say it's a feature...

Do you know the saying: "When one person says you that you are drunken then you may ignore that, but if three or more persons say the same, you should revise your opinion".

No? Too bad.

If somewhere is serious difference of opinions between users and developers about concept or implementation of UI feature then by definition users are right.

Archived