(Archived) Wow! File Restrictions gone for Free Users

• Level 5

Evernote continues to move forward.

"Evernote Removes File Type Restrictions for Free Accounts"

http://goo.gl/6myQ5

I wonder if something will be added to sweeten the pot for the Premium users. The last paragraph says: We have lots of new features in the works, including some exciting ones for Premium users.

Neat, eh?

I'd be interested in hearing from Premium users if this was one of the primary reasons they had upgraded. In my limited experience, it's always been either to increase their daily upload ceiling, for the love of the product, or to access premium support.

• Level 5
Neat, eh?

I'd be interested in hearing from Premium users if this was one of the primary reasons they had upgraded. In my limited experience, it's always been either to increase their daily upload ceiling, for the love of the product, or to access premium support.

* I never reached the monthly ceiling - neither as a free user nor now as a premium user.

* I do not save many files inside Evernote. Google desktop search does the job for me.

I became Premium because the software is excellent, the employees are responsive (especially Dave Engberg last year and Heather this year), the CEO is open and transparent about the company, the podcasts are fun to listen to and informative, and the search capabilities are awesome. In other words, I wanted to support the company for a job well done.

And the 3rd party apps have so much potential, especially once the Due Date column is released. ahemm, cough, clear my throat.

I can just hear the discussion at the meeting that decided this.

Marketing rep: This will be a great press release.

Operations rep: Probably not much impact on storage costs.

Development rep: Simple to remove premium restriction for feature. Code is actually less complex.

Support rep: This will make it easier to use Evernote and should reduce support costs.

Business rep: This could make free users get to quota faster. This should increase retention and conversion rates. :D

The ability to load different file types was certainly a factor in my decision to upgrade to premium. The ads irritated me too. I see I've used 26Mb and have 29 days left in this cycle, so I think the upload limit would stop me from downgrading. Or I'd have to look hard at what I'm saving. It's nice to be able to send in photos or scans without thinking too much about the file size.

Those are all reasons I went premium. However, the all file types was probably a contributing factor. (I've been premium since August 2009, IRRC, so I kind of forget all the reasons...should have made an Evernote about it. :D ) I am very certain the upload limit was probably reason #1, though. I keep finding more & more things to use EN for. Plus, I'm adding a lot of notes/document scans that I had a few years before I started with Evernote. So even after the premium limit was increased last year, I'm often having to add things to local notebooks & shove as many into EN as I dare during the last few days of my cycle. :lol:

Oh, and the offline notebooks for iPhone was a big factor, too.

Neat, eh?

It was exactly the reason I upgraded about two weeks ago. I thought I'd use a lot more space too, but that hasn't been the case so far. I've been taking more notes than usual since becoming a premium member and I'm still well under the 60mb limit on the free account.

Having said that, I'm not miffed about buying the premium account. It's nice to have the ads removed from the desktop software and offline notebooks will come in handy during my upcoming vacation out of my country.

This likely removes my desire to upgrade next time around though.

Wait till you start taking pictures on your vacation :)

You know, I think I've become the queen of phone camera. I take so many pictures of things I want to remember (IE there's a clothing donation box in this parking lot), things I may want to buy (helpful in remembering the item, name of the item, price, what store had it, etc) and even things like where something is located in a store. IE my local Smart & Final doesn't have their smaller jars of salsa with the rest of the salsa, instead it's with the chips...??? Even at home, I'll take photos of what's inside a box so I can more easily remember what's in there w/o digging the box out. Or if I store something in an obscure place, take a photo & tag it "where I put something" so I can (hopefully) quickly/easily locate something. Especially handy, since we just moved after living in the previous house for 19 years. :)

Neat, eh?

* I never reached the monthly ceiling - neither as a free user nor now as a premium user.

* I do not save many files inside Evernote. Google desktop search does the job for me.

I became Premium because the software is excellent, the employees are responsive (especially Dave Engberg last year and Heather this year), the CEO is open and transparent about the company, the podcasts are fun to listen to and informative, and the search capabilities are awesome. In other words, I wanted to support the company for a job well done.

And the 3rd party apps have so much potential, especially once the Due Date column is released. ahemm, cough, clear my throat.

Google is going to shut down Google Desktop :)

Thanks Evernote

Google is going to shut down Google Desktop :)

Yeah. The service stops on Sep 14 but still trying to determine if current installs will stop working.

Desktop: In the last few years, there’s been a huge shift from local to cloud-based storage and computing, as well as the integration of search and gadget functionality into most modern operating systems. People now have instant access to their data, whether online or offline. As this was the goal of Google Desktop, the product will be discontinued on September 14, including all the associated APIs, services, plugins, gadgets and support.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/ ... clean.html

As of September 14, Google Desktop will no longer be available for download, and existing installations will not be updated to include new features or fixes.

http://googledesktop.blogspot.com/2011/ ... pdate.html

Nice try :)

That's one thing I've never been big on in EN - photos. The odd pic when my camera isn't around, maybe. Vacation pics will be on my camera and loaded into iPhoto upon my return...then uploaded to flickr. EN plays no part in that for me. Unless I just haven't discovered something game changing?

Neat, eh?

I upgraded to Premium soley for this reason - I never get near the upload limit. However I will continue with my subscription because "you're worth it" - Every penny of it - Thanks!

• Level 5
I do not save many files inside Evernote. Google desktop search does the job for me.

Thus you got to love Google killing that product.

From what I have heard, I will be able to continue using the product.

I still use some programs that were killed years ago.

Google is just stopping support and future development.

Regardless, I'm not going to clog up my Evernote with hundreds of Excel and Doc files that Evernote can't search anyways.

That's one thing I've never been big on in EN - photos. The odd pic when my camera isn't around, maybe. Vacation pics will be on my camera and loaded into iPhoto upon my return...then uploaded to flickr. EN plays no part in that for me. Unless I just haven't discovered something game changing?

Oh wow, best part of Evernote for me is the geolocation (and image recognition within) of photo notes.

Case in point:

Husband and I are driving along a desert highway in Mexico, fellow Evernoter says "Hey, y'all are near La Paz, right? My favorite taco joint is in La Paz." He sends us an .enex file with a picture of the place, and GPS coordinates attached. We import the file, and route ourselves right there.

Best. Fish. Tacos. Ever.

Oh wow, best part of Evernote for me is the geolocation (and image recognition within) of photo notes.

Case in point:

Husband and I are driving along a desert highway in Mexico, fellow Evernoter says "Hey, y'all are near La Paz, right? My favorite taco joint is in La Paz." He sends us an .enex file with a picture of the place, and GPS coordinates attached. We import the file, and route ourselves right there.

Best. Fish. Tacos. Ever.

A picture of the place seems to be a little overkill. Give me the name and the address (which any smart phone can handle) and I'll find my way. I hear where you're coming from though - we could go back and fourth all day. Nice to hear some other uses.

Just saying that for me, pictures are best left to the photo apps. :)

True, can go back and forth all day, with a million Evernote uses.. like, well, taking a picture of the *menu* of a restaurant, which will geotag the restaurant, and then like 5 years later remembering that there was some great restaurant you ate at that had calamari on the menu, and typing "calamari" into Evernote, and it pops up the picture of that menu...

Priceless.

:)

Thought you'd want to hear this.

I just moved into a new house and I took a few pictures of little issues we've encountered (bubble in drywall, paint spot etc) over the past few weeks. Only thing is, I don't want pics of drywall and paint clogging up my otherwise organized iPhoto library. Just emailed those pics into EN for future reference.

Perhaps I'm not a lost cause yet.

Yes, this was indeed one of the primary reasons together with getting rid of the ad :)

Thought you'd want to hear this.

I just moved into a new house and I took a few pictures of little issues we've encountered (bubble in drywall, paint spot etc) over the past few weeks. Only thing is, I don't want pics of drywall and paint clogging up my otherwise organized iPhoto library. Just emailed those pics into EN for future reference.

Perhaps I'm not a lost cause yet.

You'll find your way back soon enough :)

I'm guessing you're using a straight up camera for the task? Otherwise it'd make sense just to take the pics in a mobile EN client.

You'll find your way back soon enough ;)

I'm guessing you're using a straight up camera for the task? Otherwise it'd make sense just to take the pics in a mobile EN client.

I WAS using a camera, but I've now started documenting these issues using my iPhone.

Archived