Changing image used for Snippet

philipbowman

I've just copied a section of a webpage to an Evernote note (with FF plugin), and I've noticed that the image used in 'Snippet' view is pretty much irrelevant to the content - certainly isn't the biggest or first image in the page.

Any way (or any chance of implementing a way) to select a different image within a note to use as the snippet image? (Preferably right-click on image / Use as Snippet icon)

Thanks,

Phil

• Level 5

The only solution I can see is to use a photo editor to resize the images, which would probably be to much work. Since the note is a web capture, and Evenote includes the link to the page, what I do is just delete an image if it bothers me. (Usually it is a photo of the author)

With multiple images, Evernote selects the image with the "largest smallest" dimension.

If you have 3 images with the following dimensions:

75x100

100x400

200x300

The "smallest" dimensions are 75, 100, and 200, respectively. Evernote will use the image with the largest of those "smallest" dimensions (i.e., 200).

Evernote doesn't pick the image with the largest width, since that would result in selecting things like graphical horizontal lines (e.g., 600x1) for some notes, which isn't very useful.

Quote from Evernote staff Emerick: "I think we're reasonably happy with the algorithm we're using; they're all subject to false positives, unfortunately, but I think our algorithm ends up choosing a fairly representative image a lot of the time."

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I can see that works in most cases, though it would be nice to be able to choose an alternative manually without having to edit, or lose the image altogether (it may be useful, just not the most important one for the page).

Not a big deal, just an unusual 'jar' in using EN.

• 2 years later...

I agree, it would be really nice to be able to choose an alternative icon manually without having to edit or resize a picture. I use images on the snippet as quick visual reference cue for the notes that I am looking for. In addition, I think that it really adds to the aesthetics of all the notes within a notebook. Similarly, I think that it would also be cool to be able to choose an icon picture for an entire notebook. 

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

+1 for me!

I have been trying to get this feature working (largest of the smallest rule... the rule doesn't seem to understand me!)but it's just not useable when there are some ads on te web page.

Just give us either:

- right-mouse button->Use as note icon

- drag-drop of an image in the note to the list to set it as the note icon

This feature - and the way requested features are ignored - have made my decision for a full membership to be postponed.

In the MAC forum the title was changed to start with 'Request'. Please do so for the Windows version too!
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1 agree. Algorithm is fine, just allow override in the rare cases where it is appropriate. If I'm using a notebook as a bit of a catalog, I want multiple images in each note, but the main image is the one I want to see in snippet.

Yes. Completely agree. As I add more and more notes I need the image to be something I can use to quickly differentiate between similar notes in a notebook. I also use the image to create sub-groups within a notebook. For that I need to choose my own image to be used as a snippet. Not too difficult a request I think ?

+1 for me as well. An example of largest of smallest not working for me is for my pages I have on contacts. There are several people I have taken images with my phone that default to a fairly large size. I also have several contacts image from social media sites (Linked In mostly) that have the most acurate and professional picture of them, but they are much smaller images than those taken with my phone and are rarely uses as the snippet as I would like.

I do think largest of smallest works often, but would love to have the option to override as others have mentioned.

• 1 month later...

From above

"+1 for me!

I have been trying to get this feature working (largest of the smallest rule... the rule doesn't seem to understand me!)but it's just not useable when there are some ads on te web page.

Just give us either:

- right-mouse button->Use as note icon

- drag-drop of an image in the note to the list to set it as the note icon

This feature - and the way requested features are ignored - have made my decision for a full membership to be postponed."

Same here,  I found this notebook when I first needed one.  Loved it, would have gone pro if not for the image issue.  Seems like a simple fix to me.  It makes things really difficult to find when you capture any similar images in a series of notes.  Why have a snippet if they all look the same.  Then we waste so much time trying to get the images re-sized and placed in the right spot on the note to show up in the snippet image properly.  Kinda defeats the purpose of having a quick note setup for work or reference.  Love it otherwise!

Archived