(Archived) Crash in Evernote 3.0.0.625

I am repeatedly getting a crash in Evernote on one of my computers. Evernote is unusable here because I get the crash within seconds of doing anything. It says:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program c:\Prog .....\Evernote.exe

That application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I am on the latest Evernote 3.0.0.625 running Windows XP SP2 on this computer. My other computer runs fine on the same exact setup.

Does it crash randomly, or is there any pattern? Is image indexing enabled on this client? Is sync working at the moment of crash?

Our next Windows client update should catch such runtime errors and wrap them up into "crash reports" suitable for sending to Evernote; this will allow us to narrow down such problems.

Does it crash randomly, or is there any pattern? Is image indexing enabled on this client? Is sync working at the moment of crash?

Our next Windows client update should catch such runtime errors and wrap them up into "crash reports" suitable for sending to Evernote; this will allow us to narrow down such problems.

It always crashes, that's the pattern :-) On this system I can't do much of anything in Evernote before it has this crash.

Image indexing is enabled. Trying to sync always causes a crash, so sync is not the only thing that causes it to crash, but it is one thing that always causes it to crash.

Any hints on improving this behaviour are welcome.

It always crashes, that's the pattern :-) On this system I can't do much of anything in Evernote before it has this crash.

Image indexing is enabled. Trying to sync always causes a crash, so sync is not the only thing that causes it to crash, but it is one thing that always causes it to crash.

Any hints on improving this behaviour are welcome.

First, try to disable image indexing at low level:

1) Make sure Evernote is not running

2) Open regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EverNote\Evernote3

3) Find the value EnableBkgrReco and set its value to 0.

4) Run Evernote.

See if the crashing continues. If it does, try to recreate the database from scratch (just delete the file \My Documents\My Evernote Files\Databases3\.exb) (You can rename the file instead of deleting to be able to return to your current database if necessary). Then open Evernote, provide your username and password, and sync with the Service.

This means that your database file gets corrupted after a while. Do you have your database located on a fixed or a network drive? If the latter, I strongly recommend relocating your database files to fixed drive (see Application > Options > General tab).

This means that your database file gets corrupted after a while. Do you have your database located on a fixed or a network drive? If the latter, I strongly recommend relocating your database files to fixed drive (see Application > Options > General tab).

It's on a fixed drive.

I have the exact same error message when using evernote 3.0.0.681 on a U3 Memory stick.

I installed it from my PC using "install Evernote portable".

When I try to log in it throws up the C++ runtime error.

The "My Evernote Files" folder on the stick is empty.

Any ideas?

Archived