Font size on the iPhone WAY too small

Mark78

Idea

18 replies to this idea

Post after post after post on many threads complain about not being able to adjust font size on your tablet.  Is there a reason this hasn't been addressed by Evernote?  I must say, this is not good customer service at all.  May have to rethink my professional version payment.

I read with alarm that such a problem with font sizes has not been resolved in the iPhone and tablet. I use evernote for speeches and the font size is really getting me down.

Like someone say, evernote premium costs big bucks per year and I have been a member for a few years now. Looks like i will have to look somewhere because I can't believe developers behind such a good product can be so blind to this simple problem. Inexcusable, really.

And we do NOT need comments like, "Yeah. Default font and size should be in Evernote iOS settings." and that from a Evernote geek.

'Nuff said.

I agree font is way too small. I have no idea why they don't provide such an elementary thing as control over font size. I use Notesuite most of the time because reading the eetsy weeny font on Evernote gives me a headache.

Let's face it, Evernote doesn't give a f*ck about our concerns.

This thread started on Aug 31 2011.

That's more than 2 years ago!

Hey Evernote, do you want a list of apps that HAVE adjustable fonts?

Even if I stick to free apps I could some up with a fairly impressive list.

And if go to paid apps or subscription apps the list gets quite sizable.

Evernote wants to be paid $45.00 a year for a Premium Account - that seems reasonable for a useful and USEABLE app.

I want adjustable fonts - Not a million fonts, not Comic Sans or Copperplate or Calligraphy, not from 2 pts to 72pts,

Just something big enough to read in a range of real life situations, and that seems reasonable to me.

So, with all due respect, Evernote, Pull Your Thumb Out!

There is a way, but it is freaky!:

TIP. How to enlarge font in Evernote for IOS mobile:

1. Download and open Simplenote or similar app. and click for a new note.
  2. Go to Settings and select Font Size: Extra Large. (You cannot do this on Evernote). Done.
  3. Write down a simple word like “what”
  4. Copy and paste it on an Evernote note. That´s it! You can continue typing with the new font size.  

Another request for font sizing in Evernote Mobile app for Iphone ipod - please, most mobile apps have this feature, especially organizational apps, Evernote is a serious app, in theory you can organize anything in your personal and professiona life with it - how useful is it if I have to squint to read my list of notes on my iphone? Evernote thinks it's OK for me to have to put on reading glasses to use it? It's like the really slow start up time, it's something obvious that really should have been fixed.

Please.

Thank you.

i agree. here is a situation: i pasted a library call number into my note, but the font was tiny. we have no ability to change font size on ipad/iphone, so if not for the retina display and freakishly good eyesight, i couldn't have read it when i was wandering around in the library stacks looking for the book.

yes, i could have copied and pasted it out of evernote into any number of apps that would enlarge it for me, but is this really the ideal workflow?

Exactly - for accumulating notes, bibliographies, & call numbers, etc for research, for work in general, to find an item quickly, I need to be able to read the index of notes & notebooks - I know I can take a few steps & increase the size of the body of the text of each note but searching through my notebook indexes should NOT require me to move to a brighter light or put on glasses - My eyesight is almost perfect but if I am in the library or archive room, or am at a clients house not directly under a bright work light, I should be able to SEE Evernote.

If you want Evernote to BE the indispensible tool, then actually BE the indispensible tool - right now it's not worth it to me to upgrade to Premium until the app has sizable fonts on the index page - I don't carry my laptop everywhere, or iPad, some situations require I use a small discreet iphone for note taking or research, and try taking a pic note with an iPad camera, either you need a table to put the thing on & use 2 hands to hold the iPad to snap the pic, or maybe you have to hold the item up to the light at a certain angle or fit the iphone into a small space to take a pic - The Evernote Mobile app needs to be as mobile & accessible as the device I use it on.

I have had this conversaion with many friends looking for a professional grade organizing tool & all of them say the same thing - my iPhone is jsut the right size, Evernote's structure & tools are just what I want BUT THE FREAKIN' FONT IS NOT ADJUSTABLE.

It'snt a matter of age & eyesight, Evernote seems not to care that not everyone works in a brightly lit office sitting at a desk, remember? MOBILE apps need to be designed for mobile use, 'field conditions'!

Here is a list of my professions of some of my friends with the same issue with Evernote -

Social worker, physical therapist, theatrical stage manager, architectural model builder, fine art conservationist, nursery school teacher, proofreader for technical journal, graduate students in several technical & scientific fields, craft blogger, librarian, court interpreter.

PLEASE - this is not a frivolous issue, the index to your excellent app isn't readable in real life conditions.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Another request for font sizing in Evernote Mobile app for Iphone ipod - please, most mobile apps have this feature, especially organizational apps, Evernote is a serious app, in theory you can organize anything in your personal and professiona life with it - how useful is it if I have to squint to read my list of notes on my iphone? Evernote thinks it's OK for me to have to put on reading glasses to use it? It's like the really slow start up time, it's something obvious that really should have been fixed.

Please.

Thank you.

i agree. here is a situation: i pasted a library call number into my note, but the font was tiny. we have no ability to change font size on ipad/iphone, so if not for the retina display and freakishly good eyesight, i couldn't have read it when i was wandering around in the library stacks looking for the book.

yes, i could have copied and pasted it out of evernote into any number of apps that would enlarge it for me, but is this really the ideal workflow?

Please.

Thank you.

Just adding this for other newbies like me who find this thread.... There is a work around if your only concern is being able to read the notes on the iPhone. Using EN web, I select all the text of the note, and then in the Font Size dropdown I select "7 (36pt)."

When the note is subsequently displayed on my iPhone 3GS (using EN v4.1.7), the characters are nice and large - I can even read them without my reading glasses.

I have to agree with all the posts - and there are many more than the ones on this thread - that have been calling for improved fonts on the iphone! I'm happy for folks who can easily read the default, but what about the rest of us? I've just purchased "notesy" which offers a host of options for larger fonts, type-faces and even background color for notes, all in a clean, easy-to-read way. I'm a big fan of saving things to EN, but as far as taking new notes on the iphone, yuck. Even the lousy built-in yellow note pad on the iphone is easier to deal with on this score. C'mon EN, make our day!

• Level 5*

The font seems quite nice to me. I am using the iPod Touch 4G with iOS 5 and Evernote 4.1.4.

However, I agree with the previous posters. Before we worry about rich text (we now have lots of options), I think the ability to adjust font size ought to be prioritized.

Just want to add my voice. I have STOPPED USING EVERNOTE. I'll very happily start again when I can get a readable default font size on my iphone. As is the app is unusable on the iphone. It is a lot easier to use another note app (there are hundreds) where I can read what I am writing. I can easily change the font size of my posts on this forum, why can't I do it in the app itself?

Archived