(Archived) Month view, map view and a "Filter Bar" "In-context"

bweggersen

Idea

• [*:1qs4icy4]In addition to List, Snippet and Thumbnail view, have a Month view
    [*:1qs4icy4]In addition to List, Snippet, Thumbnail and Month view, have a Map view. Allow searching for addresses, cities, countries etc and see nearby notes. Also make it easier to add notes to the map, even if you are using a desktop version of evernote.
    [*:1qs4icy4]In addition or in combination with the Favorites Bar, allow filtering the notes currently listing. I.e usefulness: I have notebook stacks for various contexts. They use very different sets of tags. (1) In the "Filter Bar", when I hit Tags, it would only show tags that are being used in the current listing of notes (the listing of notes might be based on a notebook selection, a tag selection or a search). (2) If I hit a particular Tag, it wouldn't display all notes with that tag, only notes that have that particular tag and was a part of the original listing of notes. (The way the Favorites Bar work: (1) all tags are displayed and (2) all notes that uses that tag will be displayed)
    [*:1qs4icy4]To solve the previous bullet, just add a checkbox in the Favorites Bar called "In-context" or something. Also consider adding a search field for in-context search. Using the Favorites Bar is like if it was called a "Filter Bar". If I later select a notebook from the primary listing of notebooks (not from the favorites bar), a tag from the primary listing of tags or did a search in the primary search field; the "In context" check would be unchecked and the Favorites Bar would work the same way it does now.

Are suggestions appreciated? I ask since I often get ideas while using the software. But I don't want to write them if they wouldn't be of any help or if you have too many things to work on anyway.

:)

Benjamin

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

• [*:1kxd3cl7]In addition to List, Snippet and Thumbnail view, have a Month view
    [*:1kxd3cl7]In addition to List, Snippet, Thumbnail and Month view, have a Map view. Allow searching for addresses, cities, countries etc and see nearby notes. Also make it easier to add notes to the map, even if you are using a desktop version of evernote.

Those are two good suggestions. Unfortunately, they are hamstrung by the current Evernote code. Maybe in the future they will be possible.

[*]The month view can't happen inside Evernote because you cannot add a Due Date. So the calendar can only show stuff that happened in the past. After Evernote adds the promised Due Date column, they hope 3rd party developers (Tusk Tools for example) will step in and offer calendars and such. Fingers crossed.

[*]Map view has some serious problems. The program captures position information from GPS enabled phones and cameras. But the majority of data is entered either via the client or the web which do not have location sensing capabilities. I'd like to be proven wrong, but based on reading this forum, reading the Evernote blog, and listening to the Evernote podcasts, additional mapping development appears to be on hold.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Regarding Month view and the lack of due date: I would actually find it very useful to view previous (old) data in a month view based on date created.

I've attached a screenshot from Toodledo's new calendar interface (even though Toodledo is a task management system, I am not reffering to any kind of task related features that Evernote should have in this particular post).

In the screenshot, and in the calendar, the number of dots represents tasks (if adopted it would refer to notes in Evernote). You can select a single day, a week (a week is selected in the screenshot) or select a month. I am thinking this calendar view from Toodledo would fit well inbetween the notebooks list and the listing of notes (snippet) in Evernote as an independent row. You would then have Notebooks, the calendar, list of notes (as in snippets view) and the content of the selected note.

Any thoughts?

[attachment=0]calendar.jpg[/attachment]

Archived