(Archived) Safari Extension Beta

jbignert

Hi all,

We have a beta version of the Evernote Safari Extension for use on Safari 5.1 and going forward.

http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/safari_clipper/Evernote.safariextz

Please restart Safari after install for best experience.

A few known issues when using this on Lion:

- input fields does not show a blinking text cursor. ( appears to be a bug in Safari 5.1 on Lion)

- selection clipping not supported on Lion. Works fine in 10.6.8 (appears to be a bug in Safari 5.1 on Lion)

Please take it for a test drive and let us know any issues you might experience. Let us know your Safari version and OS version if you report any problems.

When you select article we show you a preview on what content will be clipped. If you choose full page everything gets clipped.

If you look at the Chrome Extension and visit the options page you'll get a flavor of where we are going in terms of letting users customize their experience.

• Level 5*
A few known issues when using this on Lion:

- input fields does not show a blinking text cursor. ( appears to be a bug in Safari 5.1 on Lion)

- selection clipping not supported on Lion. Works fine in 10.6.8 (appears to be a bug in Safari 5.1 on Lion)

Being unable to clip a selection makes this a non-starter for me. I rarely need or want the entire page/article.

Has this been reported and accepted as a bug by Apple?

My feedback is the following —

What made the extension good before was the PDF clipping's ability to make an almost perfect saved copy of a page, with highlightable/searchable text. This feature was phenomenal.

Now, we've lost nearly all of that functionality.

This extension is a great start, but even the Chrome extension goofs up some CSS and produces missing images in the background or foreground in some instances. This is not okay.

I'm really frustrated because even using Skitch to "snap Safari" doesn't render a PDF like before.

Can't you guys just add this feature to Evernote itself?? "Snap Safari as PDF" or something? That way I wouldn't even need an Extension ..

I could just use the Evernote menu in the menubar, or the App itself.

• Level 5*

Trying to clip a couple of pages, first clipper screen looks OK, lets me pick notebook and add tags etc.

Then I get this and no clip finds it's way into Evernote.

10.7.1 and 5.1

ipuu5s.png

Trying to clip a couple of pages, first clipper screen looks OK, lets me pick notebook and add tags etc.

Then I get this and no clip finds it's way into Evernote.

10.7.1 and 5.1

---------------------

I am having the exact same problem -- same set-up -- no clipping working after empty dialog presented.

10.6.8 and Safari 5.1. I uninstalled the Safari beta extension and then downloaded and installed it again.

Was able to clip this page (whole page), so that is working again. Will try other pages once more.

Clipping fine now (as long as I avoid PDF pages displayed in Safari) with the beta. Something with the extension must have gotten messed and uninstalling and reinstalling corrected it.

I like the way the old Safari extension worked better than this new version for Safari 5.1.

I usually have Evernote app open and like to create a note directly in Evernote for the Mac. I can then do any reformatting and cleanup, add my notes and tags while every thing is still fresh in my mind.

Uploading a clipping to the web and getting it some time later when I remember to open Evernote app and after all the resent notes have synced from the web—then making all my changes—then re-syncing back to the web is less efficient for me.

Will Evernote be making a Safari extension to create a note directly to Evernote for Mac app?

Re: clipping directly to desktop.

This link in my toolbar still works for me in Safari 5.1. I don't remember where or when I got it.

javascript:(function()%7BEN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com';try%7Bvar%20x=document.createElement('SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new%20Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')%5B0%5D.appendChild(x);%7Dcatch(e)%7Blocation.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);%7D%7D)();

hth -- Barbara

EDIT: I am on Snow Leopard with Safari 5.1

Hello --

Thanks for FINALLY putting something like this out. There are some sites I use that simply won't work properly in except in Safari, so I have been missing this for a long time.

Question for developers: Is there a way to have it automatically clip directly to my default notebook, as in the past or in other browsers? Having the dialog come up seemingly requires me to use the mouse to choose what I want to do (clip whole page or URL). One click does it in Firefox. Can that happen here? I don't see any way to specify preferences for the extension.

-- Barbara

This is a start. Installation seems to be smooth but the results still lack what we once had.

I am not sure I understand how we came to this. I fired up Devonthink once again and that does not seem to have the same problems as does Evernote. I hate its complexity but it works and slips right into my daily workflow. It seems like Evernote has a shrinking window of time before more of us get driven away by lack of an ability to support a simple clipping service on Safari 5. Since converting to Lion I have had to stop clipping to Evernote. I suspect others are in the same position.

Yes, this is distressing. Safari 5.1 has been out for several months. I use some lame-o sites for school, etc. that just don't work right in Firefox, so I have to use them in Safari. And I really don't want to install yet another browser, i.e. Chrome.

I was one of the early people asking/begging/whining for offline notes on mobile Evernote, and when that feature was finally available, I gladly plunked down my money to become a premium member. Evernote has become indispensable to me. I guess the company has just decided to prioritize its efforts in a different direction than keeping their web clipper consistently working when new browser versions come out. (Like putting together a new interface for Lion. I don't have Lion and don't need a new interface in any case.) I don't mind waiting a week or two. (Well, I do, but I understand it.) But sadly it does make me love Evernote just a little less. I probably use the clipper 20 times a day or more. So I have really missed it.

I know I can look around for competing products that work on Mac and Android, but I really don't want to spend time (and maybe more money) in that endeavor. I think the dev team managers need to recognize how critical this teeny feature is, and they need to push it up to the top of the list QUICKLY. I have worked in the SW dev field forever, primarily as a tech writer, and feature-creep all too often overshadows underlying critical functionality. The end result is usually a relatively buggy product and lots of angry users, leading to bad buzz in the social media sphere and ultimate defection when there is something to defect to. This is NOT a good thing.

Please, Evernote, take the high road and show us longtime users some more love!

-- Barbara

Yes I am using the beta, and so far so good. But it just came out a week or so ago, and I just found it by accident while doing yet another google search for "evernote safari 5.1," which I do every few weeks in frustration.

My point is/was - suppose 5.2 comes out before long. Or whenever it does. Will I have to not upgrade for x months so I can keep using Evernote? Or will Evernote do its best to get a working clipper ASAP? Or will I have to not use the clipper for x months? etc.

All IMHO of course. Like I said, I love Evernote!

-- Barbara

Second how to I track this message thread automagically ?I tried with two others and have had no luck.

This has been a problem for a few users, and one of the many, many, many reasons we're converting to new forum software. That should fix message board tracking.

I like the way the old Safari extension worked better than this new version for Safari 5.1.

I usually have Evernote app open and like to create a note directly in Evernote for the Mac. I can then do any reformatting and cleanup, add my notes and tags while every thing is still fresh in my mind.

Uploading a clipping to the web and getting it some time later when I remember to open Evernote app and after all the resent notes have synced from the web—then making all my changes—then re-syncing back to the web is less efficient for me.

Will Evernote be making a Safari extension to create a note directly to Evernote for Mac app?

Totally agree with this post. I hope the release version of the clipper works like the old clipper- not just as basically the bookmarklet.

Totally agree with this post. I hope the release version of the clipper works like the old clipper- not just as basically the bookmarklet.

I agree with this too. The old clipper was almost perfect. I do like how the new one can just clip the article instead of the full page, though.

Dear Evernote,

I can't say I love the new extension, but it does work better than the Google Chrome and for that matter (sometimes at work) with IE.

A few comments:

- Please bring back local clipping as well. You have this in FireFox, so I am taking a guess you are going to do it. Please?

- But if you do, please, please, don't make it an either or in settings… and also can the have the clip article options as well on the actual drop-down clipping windows. 90% of the time I will use local clipping, but there are times I like to use the remote clipping service

- I love the badged on the icon (even clearer than FF & GC), but I am assuming you will also do a notification as well (Growl?)

- Quality of clipping is key. I use an AppleScript I wrote which lamely (but every effectively I might say) uses key strokes to select all, copy, and then use the evernote helper app to paste in as a new note. I get, usually, much better results this way.

- However, I must say the quality of clipping is increasing. I am taking a guess that the service the clip goes to back at Evernote is common for all web clippers on all browsers and all platforms, so I'm hoping there is enough will to make this work.

- You should remember that the old Safari extension had the BEST clipping quality of ALL your extensions on ALL browsers (although admittedly it was local). Maybe the clipping service remotely will never be 100%, but I'm sure you can emulate the same old quality with local clipping. BTW, local clipping on FireFox is rubbish. Sorry to say, but it really is.

You're going in the right direction. Yes, I'm tired of complaining and thinking that your development process is slow, that you don't interact enough with us, but overall, Evernote is a great service, and we are getting there.

Thanks, Nic.

Guess I made a mistake:

- The quality of the remote clipping on FireFox is HORRIBLE (as well as the local clip)

- But for some sites (not all), the quality with the Safari Beta and the Google Chrome extensions are flawless (both remote only at the moment).

- Also, I should add the the Safari extension seems to work much much quicker. Even though I still have to wait after clicking the icon for your drop-down box to "connect / sync" it is just about bearable in Safari… while in FF & GC I'm not sure I could even use them. So, please keep the focus on this as well.

- It also seems that Safari beta processes the clipping quicker as well.

P.S. I am an absolute Safari user. GC & FF are just there as backups and because I'm a little geekish sometimes!

+1 for this.

Another +1. I am so dependent on it clipping to the desktop!

+1 here too.

Hi Folks;

Here is an updated version of Safari Extension. This will be GA release 1.0.0

http://update.evernote.com/public/ENMac/SafariExtension/Evernote.1.0.0.safariextz

So for sure, it won't clip to the desktop app? Is that planned as an option for a dot release in the near future? (I hope so!)

Meanwhile, can you please make it possible to save the note and/or close the popup box using the keyboard? So Enter saves the note and Esc closes the box without saving?

Thanks -- Barbara (a devoted Evernote fan)

How about some instructions on how to use this update to the Safari extension?

Save it to disk.

Double-click it.

Say yes or install or OK or whatever.

It will add a little elephant icon to the left of the address bar. Click it to save a page (or a portion of a page that you've selected) to Evernote on the web.

--b

I'm very happy that Safari is getting a new extension.

My main issue with the Safari Extension is that it doesn't seem to clip selections well at all. (I'm using the 1.0.0 version posted in this thread a few days ago.) When I click on the extension button in the toolbar, Chrome's "clip selection" functionality works 100% of the time for me. Safari's "clip selection" functionality works about 5% of the time, by contrast, when I click on the extension in Safari's toolbar.

As a result, I end up copying a selection to the clipboard and manually pasting things into Evernote.

Any thoughts on how to get better performance out of the extension, or is this something that is being worked on?

EDIT: I just noticed that there is a contextual menu item for highlighted text in Safari that allows you to clip selections, and that seems to work pretty well. I hadn't noticed that before. Sorry about my oversight. Still, it's weird to me that Chrome's performance with highlighted text is so good when you click on the Clipper extension button, and Safari's is so spotty.

EDIT 2: Read the known issues at the start of the thread. I see now that it's a bug with Safari 5.1.

The beta is working OK for me (10.6.8, 5.1), thank you! Just one thing: it sends all web clippings to the default notebook, even when I select a specific notebook to send it to. This means I have to go in and move it after the fact. In case it makes any difference, I'm trying to send the clips to notebooks that are within a stack.

It seems this extension didn't work in safari 5.1.1, and my OS in 10.7.2 (11C71). When I click the Evernote icon, only a blank box popped out, nothing else. It works okay when I select something on webpage, right click and choose "Clip selection to Evernote".

@Naiqi

Can you confirm that you are using Safari Extension version 1.0.0?

Yeah, version 1.0.0 confirmed. Only a "Synchronizing..." appears for seconds, then nothing else shown in the box. And nothing was clipped to the notebook.

@Naiqi

Can you confirm that you are using Safari Extension version 1.0.0?

Yeah, version 1.0.0 confirmed. Only a "Synchronizing..." appears for seconds, then nothing else shown in the box. And nothing was clipped to the notebook.

Same here

Have just downloaded and installed Safari Evernote Extension (1.0.0), and nothing happens when pressing the elephants head

Using OS X 10.7.1 and Safari 5.1.

Did uninstall prior version of Evernote extension (from before Lion) and restarted Safari before installing Extension

Extension still doesn't work

/Karl Erik Jessen

I get an error message:

Your browser settings conflict with Evernote: try restoring Chrome's privacy settings to the default ....(and more about not blocking cookies etc)

1. This is in Safari, not Chrome

2. Cookies are accepted from visited sites (which IIRC is the default for Safari)

We have published version 1.0.1 of Safari Web Clipper with support for Safari 5.1.1. If you have auto updates enabled in Safari preferences you should get the new update after a browser restart.

Or get it directly here:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=SafariExtension

Known issues:

- Cursor not blinking in the input fields

- Selection clipping via popup is unstable (use right click menu for best results)

- Some error messages are incorrect

Archived