Evernote for Android lost my data.

Well, hopefully someone can help with this, because I'm most tempted to give up on Evernote now, once and for all.

Using Evernote on my Asus Transformer, I took about two hours' worth of notes. The only data Evernote has preserved, however, is that which I had entered in the first half-hour. It has lost all my subsequent edits, it would seem - whether this was due to a lost Wifi connection or what, I don't know - although a lost Wifi connection would be no excuse for not preserving the data locally for subsequent upload. I have tried syncing Evernote from the tablet but it appears I have lost pages and pages of irreplacable notes. I note that no "force close" event or similar took place.

So my questions are:

1) Where's my data gone? At no point did I hit any "please throw all my edits away" button or anything similar. If the data loss was caused by putting my tablet into standby, well, that's not good enough for my shopping list - never mind proper note-taking.

2) Is there a cache of the data on my tablet which can be somehow retrieved, and if not, why not?! How can Evernote *possibly* record data then throw it away without a 100% confirmation that it has been uploaded to the cloud successfully?

3) Why in the name of all that is good and holy, would I persist with a note-taking app which lost my edits *even once*? If I can't rely on Evernote 100% of the time, it's no use to me whatsoever.

I was toying with the idea of upgrading to premium until this happened; now I am toying with the idea of abandoning Evernote, and telling everyone in my organisation and peer group not to touch the thing with two bargepoles tied together.

Max

Angry and frustrated Evernote user

From another thread:

Just noticed this issue, and I'm having it with the version in the Market on my Honeycomb tablets. Notes currently being edited just go away...

You know guys, if you can't reliably preserve the text entered and bugs like this are going to appear, then you can mess about with GPS and photos and other extended functionality all you want, and I will *still* be out there evangelising to people about how they shouldn't touch your product.

Have you filed a support inquiry? Maybe you should try that first...

Well, I have now. I will update this thread if and when Evernote confirms that my data is gone - and if this is because of user error, I'll own up. But I doubt I'll have to do that.

Given that:

* your *premium* support only offers a one-day turn around for such issues, which is pretty slow for the money you guys want;

* *free* accounts get first-come-first-served support which will presumably be even slower;

* the data is obviously gone, as it's not preserved in the Evernote folder on my SD card

...I'm not optimistic. But you know, Evernote just cost me two hours of my life, so I'm game - what's another couple of minutes?! Hell, it took that long to write the Reddit post!

I look forward greatly to either an embarrassing climbdown on my part, or evangelising against your product as hard as I possibly can!

• Level 5*

You seem to be talking to me as if I am an employee; I'm not.

FYI, at the premium level, you're paying for faster support, yes, but you're also paying for more storage and support for more file types. If that package is too expensive for you, that's your call.

If your intention here is to threaten Evernote into supporting you faster because you might badmouth them to all of your friends, well, good luck with that. BTW, this is primarily a user forum, and other users can sometimes help with problems, sometimes not. And sometimes Evernote staff will respond here, but it's not guaranteed. Go through the support channel; that's what it's there for.

Good luck.

Thanks for your replies, Jefito. I appreciate it.

Whether you were an employee or not wouldn't really be a concern of mine to be honest; I am somewhat angry but not at any one person, and I wouldn't seek to make any single person feel bad - employee or not. That wouldn't be fair on that person; the chance of me ever speaking to the person responsible is incredibly slight and I am well-aware of that.

As such, if my posts come across as needlessly aggressive, then I apologise humbly for any offence.

My intention is certainly not to threaten Evernote into faster support - indeed I strongly believe that no support is possible because my data is clearly and obviously gone, so such an effort would be quite futile. It is only out of wry intrigue, and a desire to be constructive, that I have filed a support request at all. I reiterate that I will update this thread with an appropriate climb-down in the apparently-improbable event that Evernote can retrieve my data.

I will however be recommending against Evernote to friends, colleagues and peers - but only on the basis of the actual facts and experiences I have at my command, and only out of a desire that no-one else lose their data as I did. I don't believe in handling these matters silently because that would be to my detriment. By raising the issue publicly on other fora I have discovered that I am not alone in my experience, therefore I have learnt more about Evernote and in turn others can benefit from my experiences and indeed any counter-experiences so posted. But to reiterate, I don't believe in suffering in silence, and especially not as a customer - even a non-paying customer!

To summarise then, if your experiences with Evernote are positive then I congratulate you and hope they continue in such a vein, but as a technology evangelist of sorts, I feel a duty to alert friends, colleagues and peers to what I feel is bad technology. If I save one person from losing their data, it is worth it - even if I have to take the tiniest amount of flak for speaking out!

Again, thanks for your contributions, Jefito. By encouraging me to file a support case you have given Evernote the opportunity to state their piece, and that is only fair.

• Level 5*

OK, fair enough -- for my part, I wouldn't seek to restrain you from saying whatever you want to anyone you choose, including this forum. I'd just hope that you would give Evernote a fair shot at trying to help you out, in their normal process, before advocating too strongly against their products. After all, bugs occur in almost all software, but support is also part of a proper evaluation. And they may yet have a way for you to recover your data.

Well the same thing happened to me...even after I hit "save"

I'm not sure of the point of the "save" button if it gets rid of all my work...luckily my prof uploads an audio version of the lecture and this gives me an excuse to ask the hot girls in class if I can borrow their notes...unfortunately this is the hardest class I've taken and losing all my notes is not going to be easy to recover because I put in extra notes that make sense to me to explain things.

Also the tab key won't work on the asus transformer...making it a pain in the rear to type notes.

Hi Guys,

We apologies for a delayed response.

When a note is composed and saved, we create a local copy and save it in the sdcard. Now we wait for the network to be available to sync the note with the server. User can access this note from the notelist at any given point. We even take care of merging the note if the same note was modified on some other client.

It is very unfortunate that you lost your data after editing it. And we are going to try every possible effort to reproduce the issue, find the root cause and fix it.

Thanks,

Hemant

Android developer

• 3 months later...

This happened to me a few days ago - 2 hours' worth of notes went west after a spontaneous reboot of my HTC Desire z occurred before I had saved the note. When I restarted Evernote, it showed an earlier version of the note. Was I frustrated!

Having checked the support site, I managed to find the sub-folder on my SD card where Evernote notes are kept, and by trial and error looking through the various notes I had made on that date, I found the relevant file (Phew!) [*NB SEE AMENDMENT BELOW*]. Presumably the reset had reverted the database's index to the earlier setting, so the later data were there, but the database couldn't see them.

I've reported this to Evernote support to see if there's a 'proper' recovery tool or system, but at least using a file explorer app enabled me to find the data & I can copy & paste them in if all else fails.

Hope this might be encouraging and possibly helpful to others who seem to have lost data - there might be something still there!.

CORRECTION

The file I found was NOT the lost version, but the earlier one - I, too seem to have lost my data irrevocably. I have of course submitted a support ticket, and asked why multiple autosaves of critical files cannot be offered, but I'm not holding my breath...!

I'll post again if I hear anything.

• 7 months later...

Before leaving one location yesterday, I updated an existing note with a critical claim check/repair number, which I left behind for a friend to go and pick up the repaired item on Tuesday. I need to call in Tuesday morning to pay for the repairs and need the claim/repair number with me. After driving 3 hours, i arrived at my new location where I'll be for the next 5 days. To remind me to call Tuesday morning, I opened my Android calendar to place a reminder. It seemed wise to copy the Number and the 2 sentences to the calendar entry. 2 problems - I was never able to select, and then copy the 3 lines I needed from Evernote, after spending more then 1/2 an hour, I showed my partner and asked her if she could see anything I was doing wrong. She always likes a challenge if she can show me up, but after her limit of 30 minutes, she couldn't copy the whole 3 lines either. EN would select on of the lines, place it below in a box, and not allow access to the other lines. Who tests this stuff? I decided I just do it on the PC later, but...

When I logged into the website using someone else's PC, I selected the note, only to find the critical number wasn't there! Was this a sync failure? I went back the Android phone and brought the note back up there we has been struggling with to copy that number from, only to have it all revert to pre-claim number form and now the complete claim number has totally disappeared! My partner had given up on EN months ago because it lost data and was too complicated to drive and didn't perform basic functions. Some of the troubles I had with EN have been fix with the addition of the * and Done buttons, which I have been very careful to use. But basic functions like copy (& paste) now and finding the data missing after I've traveled 3+ hours in spite of the many times it works and I have most of the data in handy places, these failures are driving me to re consider if the bad out weights the good? Do I have to revert to double entering all my critical data?

• 8 months later...

I have had the same issue with my Asus Transformer Infinite. I typed a long note while in an (important) meeting assuming evernote would save as I typed. When I hit save a message "Err EnoEnt" or similar popped up and my note was blank. My data simply vanished with no way to recover it. Needless to say I cannot use evernote anymore if it fails at it's most basic functionality. How can I use it for anything slightly important if I can't trust it?

• 9 months later...

MyJad Android Data Recovery is designed to help you recover any images, songs, videos, documents, archives, and more data stored on your SD card inside the Android phone. Scan, check and recover. Three simple clicks bring your digital life back to life.

Step 1: First you need to connect your Android phone to computer, just via a USB cable.
Step 2: When the program detects your Android device, press the "Scan" button to start scanning all lost data including photos, videos, audio files, etc.
Step 3: After the scanning, all the fount data are categorized by file types, you can preview the photos, click the "Recover" button to get back files one per time or in batch.

• 3 years later...

Archived